Healthy Hints for Eating Out
Do you struggle to stick to your healthy eating plan when it’s time to dine out?
You are not alone, eating out can be one of the most daunting experiences when you are trying to lose weight. So much so that many people stop going out altogether!!
Tanya Whitfield from OnTrack, Australia’s No.1 Weight Loss Retreat gives us some practical tips about how to enjoy dining out while sticking to your healthy eating plan.
By staying at home it actually makes you feel like you are missing out on something and then what generally happens is we eat to comfort that feeling of loss.
So below are some tips to help make it easier to get out and about:
- Always stick to your portion size. By staying on track with your portion size it means you won’t over indulge and walk away feeling full and bloated.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for something that is not on the menu or specify how you want something cooked. If they serve fried fish they will generally be able to grill it for you.
- Don’t order all 3 courses. Try to stick to 2 out of the 3 courses on offer. You will generally find that the entrées are a much healthier choice than the dessert!!
- If your meal comes out and it is too big get another plate and take off the bits you shouldn’t eat and then have the waiter take them away so you are not tempted by it.
- Always ask the dressings to be on the side and stay away from the creamy ones.
- Always ask for a side salad or a serve of vegetables if your meal doesn’t come with any.
- Pick a restaurant where you know they have healthy options.
Below are some of the foods you should limit or ideally try to avoid from some of your favourite types restaurants:
Asian (Thai or Chinese)
Anything Fried (spring rolls), coconut curries, dishes that have the skin or batter on (lemon chicken or crispy skin duck).
Creamy pasta’s or risotto’s, pizza’s, garlic bread, lasagne (unless vegetarian).
Corn chips, anything with too much cheese or sour cream.
Anything deep fried – yes that includes chips, fish and chips (you can always have grilled fish with salad or veggies), creamy pasta’s, garlic bread, bangers and mash.
Anything deep fried (samosas), creamy curries (butter chicken), naan bread, pappadums.
When on a healthy eating plan it is important to ensure you are still enjoying yourself and if that means going out then you shouldn’t give that up – just remember to choose the healthy options!!
Good luck with your weight loss and thanks for visiting weightloss.com.au.
© Copyright Ultimate Weightloss.
This article was written by Tanya Whitfield.
Tanya is the Retreat Director at OnTrack Weight Loss & Fitness Retreats, Australia's No.1 Weight Loss Retreat. Get fit & healthy in 2015 at OnTrack’s Australian health retreats in NSW & Victoria.
To get a free info pack, visit www.OnTrackRetreats.com.au or call 1300 949 144.