It is currently Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:00 am

Free Newsletter

i can't get up!

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

i can't get up!

Postby lyla » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:05 pm

i can never get up in the morning and i'm always late..

i don't know what it is.. i get enough sleep but i always wake up dreading the day thinking that i'm a menace!! :cry: :cry:

i always plan to get up early to exercise and do some work but whenever i do wake up i tell myself i'm a failure and to just go back to sleep

do you suggest anything?

Postby mickdon » Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:37 pm

Hi Lyla

Sorry it appears you are having a tough time of it at the moment.

I am a shiftworker and as you can see from the time of my posts I work overnight. Sometimes I have to drag my butt out of bed just to start my day or night.

Maybe when you wake up you could just get up and do what you planned, even though you don't feel like it you will feel better once you are done. Its really hard but you can do it!!

I hope you have succuss and let us know how you are doing.
Michelle (39)

Postby Dolly » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:25 am

This site might be able to answer your problem Lyla - ... etime.html
You might be eating too many carbs or not enough protein to get a proper sleep to wake up refreshed and raring to go.

Postby Groovychic » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:49 pm

I once was told it takes 7 days to break a habit. Your body is in the habit of staying in bed longer than when you wake up. I very rarely lie there thinking oooo I should get up etc etc. When I wake up I get up. I think the longer you stay there thinking you should get up the harder it is. And don't think of yourself as a failure. None of us are failures. Sometimes we may not achieve the things we thought we could, but it certainly does not make us a failure. It just means that next time we might have to go about it a different way. Maybe you could set your alarm clock and as soon as it goes off jump out of bed and get into exercising. It will be hard to do but after a few times you will find it is much easier.

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:09 pm

Hi Lyla,
When I started my new job I had the same problem. I had been used to lying in till 10ish, then had to start getting up at 6am to go for my morning run!!! It was tough, but I found that I felt even more refreshed byt he time I was home and starting my work day. Now I get up at 6:30 to leave on my bike by 7 when I ride and I feel like it definitely gets me alert for the day.

Perhaps the first goal of your weight loss is to wake up in the morning and when you think "I'm a failure" correct yourself and say:
"what evidence do I have that I'm a failure? I have so far been going to school and working hard (I assume, and add any other good qualities here), and although I'm overweight, I've looked for and found a supportive group of people to help me lose weight which shows I'm willing to take the next step to improve myself. That doesn't sound like a failure, that sounds like someone who is on the road to success!"

The trick is to catch that little negative voice in your head and say - hang on, is that really true? What evidence do I have for that and what evidence do I have to the contrary? It takes a while and sounds corny, but negative thinking can change.

Then you can wake up in the morning and think "the first thing I am going to do today to help me succeed in my goal is to get up and DO SOMETHING"

And it's ok if you feel emotional when you think about all this. I did when I started. I used to think "they're saying all this positive stuff, but it doesn't apply to me, I could never do that" and get upset. But then I said to myself "Just try and see how far you get" and now I'm here - not finished, but on the way. I also used to worry that everyone would see me trying and be thinking "as if she's ever going to make it" but the more I actually did it, the more I noticed that it was ME thinking that and everyone else was too busy trying to make it themselves!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Exercise Motivation