It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Free Newsletter

I make riding my bike the only way to get to work!

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

I make riding my bike the only way to get to work!

Postby danni_bella » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:28 am

I chucked out my bus pass 5 weeks ago, now - I have to ride to work :mrgreen:

My motivation is probably survival atm lol. If I don't ride to work (takes about half an hour to 45 mins, pretty much all uphill apart from some nice hills from my house), then I don't get to work.

If I don't get to work, I lose my job! Then I'll be on the dole. As simple as that :P It's mean, but it works. So far I have not lost much weight using this method though :roll: But then I'm weighing myself, I probably have more muscle now - that's prob why I weight more.
danni_bella

Re: I make riding my bike the only way to get to work!

Postby electrongirl » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 am

Thats a great way to get your exercise in, wish I could walk to work, its like 20 mins walk away, but one of the prerequisite of this job was to have a vehicle as we tend to have to go drop stuff off to clients and do banking etc.... sucks cause I would save so much money from fuel!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Mandie » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:28 am

wow, nice one! I did something similar - my car lives at my parents house currently (going to sell it soon) so i have to walk to work.. no choice! of course, i live like 10-15mins walk (depending on which part of the hospital im going to) and it would take just as long to drive with the traffic and then to find parking.. so much better to walk :)
Mandie

Postby Strawberry » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:52 pm

i live in an area with no public transport & 45 min drive into work there's no way i could, if i was closer i would love to. haven't got on a bike since i was a kid - i used to ride all the time.
Strawberry

Postby danni_bella » Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:00 pm

Sorry I should note that I have to bus it part of the way now, so my ride has sadly been reduced to just 15 minutes!

Apologies for the confusion from my other thread, just that work is 1st priority atm for me, so it's not everyday I can afford the 45 minute ride.

Only about once a week, for every other day 15 suits me fine! :mrgreen:
danni_bella

Postby musclecar » Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:06 pm

Yup riding is my only way of transport to TAFE or the shops now. Most the year now, really enjoy it apart from when I stacked :lol:

My legs have toned up such a lot just lately, its nice to see some results. :D
musclecar

Postby danni_bella » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:38 pm

Aw, don't worry I did that last week after riding back from work - AT my house :lol:

I'm like, what's going on - I rode well all the way home, and stack it in my own garage :lol: :lol:

But seriously good on you hun, you should feel really proud of yourself :) This takes willpower, trust me I know all too well! :mrgreen:
danni_bella

Postby musclecar » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:27 pm

danni_bella wrote:Aw, don't worry I did that last week after riding back from work - AT my house :lol:

I'm like, what's going on - I rode well all the way home, and stack it in my own garage :lol: :lol:

But seriously good on you hun, you should feel really proud of yourself :) This takes willpower, trust me I know all too well! :mrgreen:

Ah not good in the garage :lol: My stack was nasty, I was trying to do the 'right thing' and avoid someone on the footpath out the front of TAFE. Caught my handle bar on a fence/bush and went over the bars. Took a lot of skin off my right leg, limped home.

Thanks for that :D Went I get home the feeling of satisfaction is great! Once you get past the first 2-3weeks it becomes automatic.

Best of luck with the riding :D
musclecar

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:34 pm

Te he, the embarrassment of coming off the bike. Always best done in front of complete strangers I feel. :lol:

And bike riding is great transport. I am up at 6:30am, let home by 7 for my 1 hr ride to Uni in order to be showered and breakfasted by class at 9. Good stuff. It's good motivation to exercise too. If you don't, you don't go home (I usually lack motivation more in the afternoon).
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby musclecar » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:31 pm

Oh most definately, some days the way home is so hard! Especially Friday afternoon, everything seems to slow down.

I'm like that though I need a 'reason' to do something so I'm going to miss TAFE when it finnishes for the year.
musclecar

Postby Freddy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:39 am

I didnt chuck out the bus/train pass, since it's €150. I've not been very motivated lately, but want to get back on the bike. Tomorrow morning I'll hop on the bike to work as well :) 50km round trip, total of 2:30 max on the bike, which is pretty doable. Only thing is I have given up 2 times before I could actually get used to it.

I've kicked some ads onto Ebay, so when my stuff's gone I'll be able to get myself some clothing that's actually more suitable for the weather we're going to have in a week or 2. I'm just lucky we're having a few good days this week.

I have to be honest though, I'm not doing a round trip tomorrow. I have a Microsoft course at work tomorrow evening, so I'll be going home by subway/train/bus. Still need to mount the lights on the commuter bike, but then again I still need to switch the dropbar by a flatbar as well, so when I mount the lights now I have to switch everything when I switch to flatbar.
Freddy

Return to Exercise Motivation