It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:21 am

Free Newsletter

I get Anxious when exercising

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

I get Anxious when exercising

Postby Jenni » Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:39 pm

I ge terribly anxious when I am exercising, particularly with a group of people.

I fear this is holding me back because I often give up because Im scared I will fail if I keep going. Silly I know, but its always been such a huge issue for me.

I gave up on a class yesterday morning. It was great with the circuits but then we went into the basketball courts and the sheer size of the court was intimidating and then we had to do suicides with 5kg weights. I did the first one, but then we had to do another and I just couldn't so I walked out!!!

I was so embarrassed and then when I was driving home I was thinking how stupid I was. Why didn't I just slow down and take it easy? Surely others would too? And then later on I phoned my friend who completed the class and she said that everyone slowed right down after the next one!

;( Any solutions? Does anyone else have a fear of failure?

Jen
Jenni

Postby Dolly » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:04 pm

Hi Jenni, is there anyway that you can switch to a slower beginners group? That way as you get stronger you can advance to the group you're presently in.

I also panic and quit projects I fear I might fail, I think it's probably in most of us. Just please don't turn to food :shock:
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:22 am

I had the same thing. I used to chuck the most almighty hissy fits whenever a hill was involved. Including once for our anniversary when the bloke took me to wineglass bay. Very embarrassing.

My problem was that I didn't want people to see me puffing away and think "oh my god, look at that fat chick".

I'm not entirely sure how I've gotten over it, but I think it had a lot to do with the bloke being very supportive and getting me out and doing things. I think also when I started exercising properly (like, going out running with the intention of pushing myself) I discovered that puffing and sweating and struggling is just part of pushing yopurself and it's quite frankly, not going to get you fit if you just putter along without breaking a sweat.

I do have a problem with new situations and being surrounded by people I don't know though. I just have a thing about not wanting to look stupid and wanting to make a good impression. Maybe next time you should try just watching a session first so that you can prepare yourself for the things you will be asked to do, that way it's not such a new thing when you do it.

Just be sure to take it easy and go at your own pace. And be sure to get right back into it.
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Jenni » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:28 pm

Thanks for your thoughts. I went again thismorning and it was really good - gave me lots of energy.

I broke a sweat thismorning but I was comfortable that I could finish the class, and at the end I was full of energy.

I think its just a case of getting over my little complex issue and looking into the future when I will be fit enough to cope without even thinking about it!

Cheers!
Jenni

Postby KimE » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:58 pm

Well done Jenni and good on you for sticking at it.

And what the heck is a 'suicide' the very name would make most people anxious!

I do find I get anxious before trying something new but so long as I actually get there and once started I can put that feeling aside and throw myself into it. I always think everybody else would have been the same as me when they first started.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Exercise Motivation