It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:15 pm

Free Newsletter

Gym Motivation

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

Gym Motivation

Postby ramatang » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Hey Everyone...

I dont know whats wrong with me.. I dont feel I've lost motivation, I mean I'm still sticking to my dieting but I cant seem to be bothered going to the gym and I keep putting it off and then I dont end up going...

I joined the gym about 9 weeks ago and by now I thought I would be wanting to go even more.. but Im not... why would that be ??? I was going 4 to 5 times a week but since last week Ive only been about 3 times...

Im thinking that I might be getting abit bored of doing my circuit and should try the classes but Im a bit scared..
Height - 160cm
Starting Weight - 114KG
Goal Weight - 70KG
ramatang

Re: Gym Motivation

Postby kristal » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:30 pm

I get a bit scared of doing the classes also - I keep thinking that maybe people are looking at me? I am a bit paranoid and self conscious, but then a friend of mine told me to grow up and asked "why the hell would anybody be looking at you, when we are all in here for the same reason?" so that made me feel a bit better.

I recommend going with a friend, that is what is getting me to my first pump class this Monday - somebody to guide you, chat to and generally take your mind off it.
SW - 71 kg
CW - 65 kg
GW - 58 kg
Weight Loss so Far = 6kgs
Weight to go = 7kgs
kristal

Postby Julia68 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:19 pm

Hello, Kristal I really understand where you are coming from. I joined one of those big gyms - you know 3 floors of everything. I found the classes quite overwhelming to attend at first, but I always stayed at the back and just kept smiling. I stuffed up so many times and just thought I'm going to laugh at myself and have fun with this. By the third time, I didn't care. Spin classes are good cause if you sit at the back, no one will even notice. I did the same for 2 months, I was great and then I just did a monthly donation until the end of the year. I think too, that if you go somewhere long enough and you're always in your own world it just gets boring. I've joined Contours now and I really like - no huge expectations to go every day and people actually talk.
But you've joined your gym - how about not overwhelming yourself with pressure to go 5 times per week and be happy with 3, then choose 3 great classes that you can have fun in that will encourage you to do more. I think the pressure we put on ourselves to be perfect - and I have an all or nothing approach - is too much. A friend once said. You just have to be good enough - not perfect. I'm still working on that - but am trying to be proud of being good enough. I must say its made me happier not always striving to be perfect.

Good luck.
Julia68

Postby SamiG » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:42 pm

Hi there,

I am a mum of two so my gym motivation is getting out of the house, and thats working well for me so far.

With gym classes i think everyone has felt the same as you, but they way i see it is everyone is too busy watching the instructor and making sure they are keeping up and doing it right that they dont even have time to look at anyone else. Give one a go and im sure it wont be as bad as you think. :wink:

Good luck and i hope you get your motivation back.
SamiG

I want to like myself again!

SamiG

Postby Nancy101 » Fri May 11, 2012 9:42 am

Its simple, if you dont push that extra rep, someone else is, if your not training hard, someone else is getting bigger. COME ON AND F'ING DO IT.
Nancy101

Postby andie7 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:47 pm

I agree with Kristal, having a gym buddy really does help a lot in keeping ones motivation. My buddy and I has agreed that should one of us feel like skipping a session for no valid reason then that person would have to pay the consequence, such as weeding the garden or painting the lawn or something like that. It's silly I know, but it has worked so far because nobody has skipped a session yet.
andie7

Return to Exercise Motivation