It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:02 am

Free Newsletter

How many times?

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

How many times?

Postby Simmy » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:11 pm

I have noticed alot of people in the threads commenting on how bad they feel because they didn't exercise that day. Does this mean most people on this forum are exercising EVERY day, or at least aiming to? I thought I was doing so well going to the gym twice a week (roughly one hr cardio sessions) and playing tennis once a week. (although a year ago even doing that would have been a distant dream! I am worried that once others have decided to go on the "weight loss journey" they ensure they exercise (not incidental) every day and that in comparison I am not giving it my all. How much exercise do you do, and did you have to build up to the level you are doing? On days you didn't feel like going what did you do to ensure you went?
Simmy

Postby SarahC » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:04 am

Hi Simmy. I excercise every day, but I think it's up to each person to decide how much they want to do, depending on their fitness levels and other committments. If you're happy with your excercise regime, then don't worry what other people are doing :D

Whenever I don't feel like excercising I just think about the horrible guilt that will be eating away at me for the rest of the day... that alone gets me off to the gym quick smart! But I am a gym junkie that's why. I need to cut back :oops:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 am

HI simmy

dont feel bad you are doing well! you need to build up to a amount you are happy doing. they say that you should do at least 3 times a week 30-60 minutes for weightloss. i try to do it everyday but of course things do come up or sometimes i dont feel like doing it that day and have a break.

you are doing well :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:30 am

I normally do it 6 days a week but have the odd break, im having this weekend off because im starting to feel a bit run down. You just have to listen to your body and know what u can handle and have time for :)
Jisgone

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:15 pm

Hey Simmy

I usually exercise 6 days a week, sometimes 7... I'm basically a gym junkie too, I'm hooked on exercise. And cos I'm a personal trainer I need to keep up and improve my fitness at all times, so I guess that's another reason! I start to get really edgy and crabby if I don't get to exercise, kind of like when people quit smoking!!!!

But you are doing great exercising as much as you are, just think - some people don't exercise at ALL! You need to do however much you can, and if your body is responding to it then that's great! You may find that you want to do more when your body is more used to it.

I wouldn't worry about what other people do, just keep doing what works for you :)

Em
zeedeveelgirl

Postby slimmindown » Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:26 pm

I try to exercise for an hour a day 6-7 days a week. I started off slowly though 3 times a week for 30 mins and built up to it. At the moment I am doing 1 to 2 hrs a day because I'm on hols and have no kids or other commitments. Its also a time thing so do what you can, sounds like you are doing a great job. 8)
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby Lolly » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 pm

Hey Simmy don't panic about not exercising every day - I don't :oops:

I am aiming to walk for 30 mins 3-4 times a week for now and will build up very slowly from there. Afterall, the risk of doing myself harm whilst carrying this much weight is greater iykwim.

As I get thinner (AND I WILL) I will up the exercise according to how I feel. Oh, and I NEVER feel guilty for missing an exercise session - a few misses causes me guilt but one doesn't.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby KimE » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:20 pm

I started out 3 times per week then moved up to 5 times per week, walking outdoors. After some time I joined a gym and started weight training as well as cardio. Now I do cardio at least 5 times a week and weights 2 times a week. Generally my sessions are around 45-60 mins. I don't exercise more than once a day except on weight training days as I don't have the time and I do enough to meet my goals. When I went onto maintenance I was going to cut the exercise back, however, now I find I really enjoy it and although I don't feel guilty if I don't do any on any given day I find I feel better for having moved my body.

Don't worry about all that, do what is right for you and what helps you to meet your goals.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Simmy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:29 pm

Thanks for all your replies guys! I guess you are all right - you have to do what's right for you. I should be happy with what Im doing. 3 times a week is really good compared to pushing it at once 12 months ago. After reading the posts I have told myself that 3 times is my minimum, if I do extra then that's great, but I shouldn't stress about it. At least I have somewhere to aim for - will be exciting when my min turns into 4! :)
Simmy

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:36 pm

sounds like a good idea simmy- you dont want to push yourself too hard too fast cos if you have an injury of some sort then you will have a tough time exercising at all!
kate_turner2000

Postby yummymummy » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:27 am

Im really anti exercise; because basically Im lazy and would prefer to not do it so I try and keep it interesting by doing something different each time, I walk regularly and I enjoy pump classes so I just add in something different each time like swimmimg bike riding or I will walk somewhere different each time otherwise I wont do it I will find any excuse to avoid it so I got to keep it interesting
Jody
Jody

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w3enhEK/]
[/url]
yummymummy

Return to Exercise Motivation