It is currently Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:00 pm

Free Newsletter

How do I stay motivated?

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

How do I stay motivated?

Postby Serena » Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:18 pm

How does everyone else stay motivated? I find I know quite a bit about fitness and nutrition but I really struggle to put it into practice. I'll write these huge elaborate plans and go flat out with fantastic results and then burn myself out after three weeks. I have this attitude of 'no pain no gain' and I'm a little worried that if I don't go flat out I might get bored with it all. As you can tell I'm one of little patience. How does everyone else find the energy day after day to stick with it?

How do I stay motivated?

Postby Scott » Tue Jun 14, 2005 4:44 pm

I find that going too hard too early is demotivating.

If I nearly kill myself by exercising too hard, I certainly don't look forward to exercising again.

My father in law is just like you Serena, he's like a bull at a gate and burns out or gets injured very quickly and that defeats the whole purpose of exercising in the first place.

The trick is to start exercising at a very comfortable intensity so it's almost too easy.

Once it becomes a habit, gradually increase the intensity over time.

The only thing that this approach takes is patience, because the results may come a little slower than if you exercise harder from the outset.

Exercise is a little like compound interest, it builds on itself over time.

As they say, 12 months of easy walking is better than 1 week of running!

The secrets are to be patient and do what ever it takes to make exercise a habit. :)

Postby Maraver » Tue Jun 14, 2005 10:59 pm

Makes a lot of sense what you have said Scott I started riding my exercise bike again this morning only for ten minutes but I am going to build up one minute extra per day

Postby emma21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:31 pm

My bike broke this morning :cry: I dont know how to fix it either lol....

Some days I find I have no motivation to even move from my bed (other than to get up to my bubba) so on those days, exercise is even more unlikely. This week I keep using the thoughts that soon(ish) if I keep perservering with exercise and eating healthily I will be a new, slimmer me - someone I will be happier to be.

Im thinking about putting some photos up of people who have inspired me a bit - (I know this sounds funny probably, but Sarah Marie Fedele who has lost 23kg recently is an inspiration to me) so i was thinking about using her photo cos I would love to look as fab as her

Emma :)

Emma's idea

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:53 pm

Great idea Emma,

You should do whatever works for you!

If a photo of someone you'd like to look like motivates you to do what they have done, GO FOR IT!!!

Sarah Marie has obviously worked hard and looks great for the effort.

Sorry to here about your bike. Get help fixing ASAP so that when you are motivated to 'hit the road' you've got nothing stopping you! :D

Postby emma21 » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:55 pm

I'm yet to put that piccy up yet but I found another source of motivation this morning... I jumped on the scales and they said i had lost 2kg so I was pretty pleased that my efforts had paid off this week...unless my scales are telling lies.

Today I found I was much more energised to do my workout which was great!

Emma :D

Scott - I love your quote

Postby Lesley » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:20 pm

Hi everyone, Scott I love your quote "12 months of easy walking is better than 1 week of running!" I'm going to put that up in large letters in my bathroom where I'll see it every day.

Motivation is hard to find. I also get all fired up to exercise and then don't do it. But I at least manage to walk twice a week. I'm just trying to build on this.

Like Emma21 I sometimes have trouble getting out of bed in the morning. It's my devotion to my kids that gets me there. Preparing them for school etc. On holidays I still get up when they do to get breakfast. So since I'm up I usually get on with some house work - at least I know this burns calories.

Good luck to everyone with keeping motivated.
Cheers Lesley

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!

Postby dragonfly » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:05 am

thanks for those words of wisdom scott, i needed to read them!! thanks.
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg

Return to Exercise Motivation