It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:19 am

Free Newsletter

A lazy girl's reasons for not exercising- please criticise!

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

A lazy girl's reasons for not exercising- please criticise!

Postby madeline » Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:32 pm

1. I love fashion and I dress nicely... I can't be bothered changing clothes unless it's into pjs and I'm going to bed
2. I don't like to sweat
3. Gyms cost money
4. I don't like exercising in public
5. I get headaches and dizziness last time I exercised so I'm scared
6. I don't want to get bad skin from sweating
7. I have a bad back
8. I believe I can lose a further 6kgs with diet alone (I'm 19 and I believe in my metabolism LOL)

I know I should exercise for tone etc... but I read somewhere that goals have to be attractive, and this one really seems like max effort for min result! Please kick my butt with 4" pumps :D
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:34 pm

LOL madz you crack me up with your honesty and sincerity. you are thinking things that i can imagine a lot of people think. i cant believe you are only 19 you seem so much older.
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:23 pm

Well....

1. Exercise builds a stronger body
2. Exercising in public helps with self confidence
3. Regular exercise can reduce body fat
4. Improves resting heart rate and blood pressure
5. Strengthens muscles and improves bone density
6. Sweating is easily washed away with a hot shower and delicious smelling shower gel
7. Walking, jogging, non-weighted strength training is all free!
8. Correctly performed exercises can minimise back pain and gentle exercise like yoga and stretching may even help.
9. A balanced diet and regular exercise combine for a healthy lifestyle
10. Exercise allows you to perve on the hot blokes at the gym...not that I do that of course! :roll:

Now....4" you say. :D

Fiind something you enjoy doing, there must be something and do that, so it doesn't feel like such a chore. Get some of your friends involved, maybe a team sport and make up your own sexy and stylish uniforms!
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby grugwashere » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:44 pm

you may be able to be thin through diet.. but its still not good for your body to not do any excercise...

buy yourself some designer gym gear if your scared of looking daggy...

your heart will thank you if you do some excercise....

perhaps you could try walking..
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby SarahC » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:03 pm

Let me see what I can add...

1. You can get some pretty good gym gear (I would wear gym gear 24-7 if I could!). If you don't want to get changed, dont! Just change your shoes - put on some sneakers and go for a walk.
2. Walking doesn't make much sweat, neither does bike riding. Don't know about swimming, you would be too wet anyway to notice the sweat!
3. Yes, gyms cost money. Can't get out of that one unfortunately. (There's some free passes on http://www.gymlink.com.au :wink: ) Lots of excercises are free though, like walking and running..
4. If you don't want to go out in public, maybe a dvd in your living room? Or just go places that aren't too busy so no-one will see you lol.
5. Start with some gentle excercise, nothing too strenuous so you don't get the headaches/dizziness. Take a mobile phone with you and call someone to come pick you up if you are not feeling well.
6. Sweating is good for your skin (I think). Just as long as you have a shower straight afterwards and don't sit around letting it all dry - yuck.
7. As for your back, maybe see a doctor/physio and get some recommendations of what excercises are best for you.
8. Lucky you to have such a good metabolism! Even so, some excercise is good for your health in general, not just for losing weight :D
SarahC

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:39 pm

Sweating is actually really good for you! It helps your body get rid of toxins. I regularly sweat and don't have bad skin - I just make sure I shower afterwards.

As the others have said - get yourself some spunky gym clothes :P

Exercise makes you feel good and you continue to burn fat even after you're finished. Your body releases happy hormones that make you feel good. Your eyes will be brighter and skin more radiant :)

In regards to your dizziness from exercising, try eating something half hour to an hour beforehand. A trip to your GP might be worthwhile too - find out if you have low blood pressure or something like that. It doesn't have to be strenuous or expensive - the others have given some great tips above.

Exercise will most likely help your back.

And finally - have you ever heard of 'skinny fat?' You may be able to lose the rest of your weight through dieting alone, but you'll probably be losing muscle, rather than body fat. You may look lighter on the scales, but your body is actually unhealthier as your body fat % becomes higher. That fatty roll around your belly and thighs may not disappear either :(
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Nat » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:56 am

Being skinny doesnt mean you are healthy. You feel light headed because you are unfit and it will all catch up to you when you either have kids or get older (whichever comes first), i never thought that day will come but it did and it was like the 4" shoe kicking me right up the backside!! A well toned body with a bit of muscle in the right places is sexy than skinny arms and legs (twiggy).

Did that motivate you? :D :wink:
Nat

Re: A lazy girl's reasons for not exercising- please critici

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:09 am

1. I love fashion and I dress nicely... I can't be bothered changing clothes unless it's into pjs and I'm going to bed don't get me started on sports fashion. You can spend thousands on the "top" brands. In fact most brands ARE sports brands (think Nike, Reebok, most of the surf brands)

2. I don't like to sweat
so wear loose clothes and have a shower afterwards

3. Gyms cost money
who said you need to go to a gym?? I've calculated that I am actually saving money by using exercise as a transport - save fuel, save gym money, I also save time cause I don't double up on travel and exercise.

why? I can guarantee any reason you don't want to exercise in public is based on a stupid assumption. EG "but they're all looking at me and thinking I'm fat". Actually, if you pay attention, most of them (except perhaps the dweeby little twerp in the corner, but who cares about him) is either thinking "gee I wonder if I'll make the 7am bus" or "man, look at her, all revved up. wish I could be bothered to be that dedicated"

I'm betting you've thrown up drunk before or had a hangover. Did it stop you drinking?? Those symptoms could be due to you pushing yourself too hard too soon, so just take it easier next time, or because your body is slowly adjusting to this new exercise business that it's being told to do. If you feel that it really is a problem, go to a GP and get it checked and they can tell you if the exercise you are doing is safe for you

You'll get more bad skin from clogging your pores with makeup than through a NATURAL process of sweating. If you're that fussed, again, have a shower afterwards.

7. I have a bad back
Tough titties. I have asthma. Find an exercise that you can do that will not only get you fit but help your back. Swimming perhaps, pilates is good to strenthen the muscles in the abdominal area and support the back. if it really is that bad, talk to your gp as with any major health problem that may impact on the exercise you can safely do.

8. I believe I can lose a further 6kgs with diet alone (I'm 19 and I believe in my metabolism LOL)
Sure, you probably can, but it will be easier with exercise and you will be building lean muscle mass which will raise your resting metabolism healping you heep it off. besides, exercising is part of being healthy.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby madeline » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:49 am

hehe thanks guys... I'm definitely getting back into swimming when it gets warmer (used to swim competitively), and it was the best thing for me because it helped my back (my asthma too), i didn't sweat... well not obviously and noone could see me... plus I had heaps of friends on the team. Sigh. I miss high school :( I'm also going to join my friends' indoor soccer team next year (i'd only be sweating in a room with my friends so it's all good).

in the meantime... i guess i'll just keep walking. thanks heaps for the kick up the bum girls
<3 you all
madeline

Postby electrongirl » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:20 am

about your back:

I am 31 and have had a bad back all my adult life.

I am in constant pain from it and there are things I can't do anymore because of it.

I could have avoided it getting this bad simply by exercising and building up my core strength.

Now I have osteoarthritis. Its not reversable. Its too late for me, but you can do something NOW so it wont happen to you.

I wish someone told me when I was your age so I could have avoided this.
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Nay » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:01 pm

[quote="Butterfly_Dawn"]

I'm betting you've thrown up drunk before or had a hangover. Did it stop you drinking??

It stopped me!!! I threw up at new years..had one too many vodka with orange juice and cowboys...It ended my 12 year stint of not throwing up. (even when pregnant!!)

Vomiting has put me off alcohol forever...I haven't touched the stuff since that night...

lol...just putting my two cents worth..
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w1gyr2A/]
[/url]
Nay

Postby madeline » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:24 am

:D I know what you mean Nay... I can't stand the smell of beer, let alone the taste anymore since the night I got drunk on VBs (I was 17), and my poor boy had to look after me while I threw it up in the bin, then passed out on the floor :oops: I only drink alcohol that doesn't taste like alcohol now... lolly drinks (breezers, etc) & champers mainly.
madeline

Postby Bread-Monster » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:36 pm

madeline wrote:1. I love fashion and I dress nicely... I can't be bothered changing clothes unless it's into pjs and I'm going to bed
2. I don't like to sweat
3. Gyms cost money
7. I have a bad back

Sorry, this isn't a reflection on my personality, but I don't believe in sparing the rod.

1) Oh there are plenty of beautiful, fashionable clothes you probably wouldn't be able to fit into because YOU DON'T EXERCISE. The fashionable bikinis girls wear on the beach? Being thin doesn't cut it, you need some muscle tone and shape so get your butt moving and do those squats!

2) Sweat is your body telling you're too warm. Sweating because you're exercising means you're burning fat and carbs. When you burn calories, you're turning some of that chemical energy to heat and to stop yourself from cooking, you have to sweat otherwise you overheat and turn into a giant STEAK.

3) Fashion costs money. If you're going spend money in something, may as well invest in your health. You don't have to go to a gym, just buy good running shoes and go running.

4) Do handstands at home, squats, sit ups, push ups, jumping jacks, buy a skipping rope.

5) Yeah, everyone gets that from time to time. Go to the doctors, check it out, and if they say it's nothing, it's nothing. Toughen up, sunshine.

6) Sweating is natural and unless you have major hormonal or hygiene problems, you're not going to get badskin from exercise.

7) Take it easy when you exercise. Go see a physio.

8) Yeah but you wouldn't be sleek and tone like those fashionable people in those fashionable beauty magazines who wear those fashionable dresses on their fashionable bodies (starting to see the pattern here?), would you? Also, a bit of muscle will increase your basal metabolic rate meaning you don't have to starve yourself as much. :mrgreen:

Anyway, good luck! Don;t take those comments to heart, I know facetiousness doesn't convey over the internet very well.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby loveat116 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:55 pm

Madeline.

You NEED to download the e-book "Burn the fat, feed the muscle"

You can buy it, but I downloaded it off limewire.

It is SOOOO much easier to lose weight with exercise and diet! And you metabolism gets a boost from the exercise, and just dieting will slow it! Im very happy you are going to a gym now, but this ebook will tell you WHY exercising works to burn fat.
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Re: A lazy girl's reasons for not exercising- please criticise!

Postby BeyondBeauty » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:32 pm

madeline wrote:6. I don't want to get bad skin from sweating

To be honest, I actually find that my skin IMPROVES with exercise... when I am working out, and drinking water (not a lot, I'm not a water drinker and consume about 1 litre/day at most), my skin appears firmer, brighter and clearer.

In all honesty, you know these are only excuses and if you can't kick your own butt and motivate yourself then no one else can... you have to want this.

Good Luck

BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Next

Return to Exercise Motivation