It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:18 am

Free Newsletter

Motivation please somebody

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

Motivation please somebody

Postby Lynda » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:18 pm

I feel like i just can't get out there and do exercise, i have noticed my excuse is i'm to tired. Anyone got a catchy quote or something i can use to get me out there walking at least.
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:28 pm

"Effort only fully releases its reward after a person refuses to quit."
Napoleon Hill

"When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
Franklin D. Roosevelt

I will act now. I will act now. I will act now. Henceforth, I will repeat these words each hour, each day, everyday, until the words become as much a habit as my breathing, and the action which follows becomes as instinctive as the blinking of my eyelids. With these words I can condition my mind to perform every action necessary for my success. I will act now. I will repeat these words again and again and again. I will walk where failures fear to walk. I will work when failures seek rest. I will act now for now is all I have. Tomorrow is the day reserved for the labor of the lazy. I am not lazy. Tomorrow is the day when the failure will succeed. I am not a failure. I will act now. Success will not wait. If I delay, success will become wed to another and lost to me forever. This is the time. This is the place. I am the person.
Og Mandino

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.
Jim Ryun

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
Confucius

"'He means well' is useless unless he does well."
Plautus

"Nothing happens by itself... it all will come your way, once you understand that you have to make it come your way, by your own exertions."
Ben Stein

How's that for starters?
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:35 pm

Thanks Tegan, my hypothyroidism is making me lethargic and sleepy too and your words of motivation are spot on.
Dolly

Postby Guest » Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:47 pm

Lynda I walk with a mp3 player, I have selected music that with a certain tempo so I can walk to the beat and that way it keeps me walking at a reasonable pace.

Postby Lynda » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:40 am

Thanks for the quotes Tegan, i like "I will act now for now is all I have". If i keep thinking that it might 'will' work. Also the guest said to walk with music. I have actually been looking on the net for some exercise music, the music like they use in a gym, i thinkl its adjusted so they have a certain beat for lifting weights. I may be wrong. Any ideas for good songs to walk and exercise to.
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:46 am

anything with a good strong beat. Fast "dance" pop music is good - take a look at Rage on a saturday and look for music clips with lots of dancing. And listen to a range of music and notice what your body does - you will "bop" to the ones with a good energetic beat.

One of my old flatmates made a CD of "motivational" music that he used to work out to, it had things like Chariots of Fire, Eye of the Tiger etc on it - things that conjure up images of energy and fighting fitness.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby linda » Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:53 pm

Hi Lynda, I have some workout music that motivates me, I found them by just typing in "workout music" in search. Here are some that I found.

Gonna make you sweat (Aerobic cc music factory)
Dance- Workout music Aerobics 80's & 90's club mix
Workout (Groovy 69)
Aerobic 70's disco mix (Stars on 45)
Workout music - Football pump up song

with the workout (Grooby 69) track, they even have someone counting throughout the song, just like the instructor is right there with you.

Of course you can use your own music too, just has to be the right tempo.
linda

Postby Jenni » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:46 pm

I also listen to music during all my cardio workouts. I find i never want to get out of bed in the morning (this is when i work out) but once im up and ive had breakfast i usually brighten up. Then i do cardio for about an hour and i listen to my fave music. A really good one is Destinys Child - Survivor. I have earphones so its like im in my own world and i dont need to worry about all the people around me.

Sometimes i can get a bit de-motivated (if there is such a word!) by people who are fitter and slimmer that me. You know, the ones that make it look easy at the gym - but for motivation i just think to myself that i am doing this for me, for my body and for my fitness - so why worry about what others are doing? As long as im working hard, Im happy!
Jenni

Postby linda » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:50 pm

motivation is a state of mind
linda

Postby phat25 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:56 pm

music is my motivation also... When i am at that dangerous stage of contemplation, i put on 'dance' music whilst i get changed into my work out gear (trackies & tee) the blood has started to circulate and now i have become excited about my exercise session. I pump my mp3 player and off i go!!

also foot-wear....i just purchased a kick-ass pair of runners! $180 but worth every penny. I just tool them out for a test run... :D :D

My biggest problem is my memory...i forget how good it feels to exercise. Once i jog my memory im sweet! (excuse the pun lol)

Good luck :wink:
quality vs quantity

phat25

Postby frumpy07 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:09 pm

TIME IS GOING TO PASS NO MATTER WHAT YOU ARE DOING... SO IN REFLECTION WHAT DO YOU WANT TO HAVE DONE IN THAT TIME?
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

STICKS AND STONES MAY BREAK YOUR BONES, BUT CAKE WON'T HEAL WHAT HURTS YOU.
frumpy07

Postby jaydees » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:24 am

hi,i go walking with the lady up the road and she comes and gets me on her way so i have no excuses to not go.after my walk i feel great but i must admit if it wasnt for her getting me i probably would make up excuses.in my head i say to myself atleast i am getting fitter.think of the results in a years time,atleast there will be a fitter ,healthier person feeling better about themselves!
jaydees

Postby Groovychic » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:17 am

Thats how I always think about it as well. I always think well at least my heart is fit, which means less likely that I will have a heart attack! And another thing I do is think about just going that extra minute, or km or whatever it is you are doing and think about the extra bit of fat I will be burning at the time. It's so frustrating that the weight comes off so slowly. Damn stuff goes on in no time at all but by golly it takes ages to get rid of it. The last 2 mornings I havent really felt like doing much on the treadmill but in the end I got to around 50 minutes each day. I just kept thinking well I like this song on the radio so I will go to the end of that before I start to wind down, then I'd be close to 4ks or something so I would say to myself well I'll just get to 4ks or so many minutes and it ends up being a good session! Sometimes when your motivation is really low you just have to give yourself a good slap and say well if I let go now then I will have all this work to catch up on again later on, plus it will take longer!!! Thats my theory anyway!!!! My way of thinking has changed dramatically this year and I am a lot more determined.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby jaydees » Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:32 pm

i am alot more motivated at the moment.couldnt say i was like that last week cause i felt like giving up.but last few days i have been thinking i want a pair of jeans for winter.i dont wear jeans anymore cause i dont like the way my belly looks with them on.so this is it.i am putting my treadmill in the lounge area when i get it so then i can watch tv while i am doin it
jaydees

Postby Dolly » Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Sounds like a great plan. I'm so glad you got your enthusiasm back.
Dolly

Next

Return to Exercise Motivation