It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:11 am

Free Newsletter

Got a dog?

Tell us how you keep motivated to exercise regularly.

Moderator: Moderators

Got a dog?

Postby Mags » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:56 pm

Most of you might have heard that people with pets are generally more likley to get their daily excercise need.

I am insane about keeping Buster healthy and slim. Another motivation for workign with your dog? A dog sport, I train Buster in agility at home but havn't been able to compete because he has issues wiht other dogs that he still needs working through.
He gained a bit of fat over the winter and I worked so hard getting it off him, if only I could do the same for myself. he gets the best food I can get, a lot of bones too kep his teeth healthy but I I'm not so good looking aftre myself.

So if your interested maybe look into flyball, agility, endurane etc.
My sisters dog has recently joined a flyball team actually.

Anyway... off to walk the dog.
Mags

Re: Got a dog?

Postby la1982 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:48 pm

A great site to find out about agility etc is the http://www.dogzonline.com.au forums. The have great forums for all aspects of dog care, nutrition, exercise as well.
SW 74kg
GW 55kg Achieved 31.1.08
CW 54.6kg
Body fat reduced from 38% to 20.2%
la1982

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:42 pm

oooh ooh!
I have a dog, but he's only a puppy, so we don't exercise him too hard yet! He does go to puppy school once a week though where my upper body gets a good workout from him madly trying to jump on all the other dogs :lol:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:20 pm

Haha! I have a cat. I actually bought her a pet harness because both she and I needed a bit of extra exercise and I thought taking her for walks would accomplish that. I figured that worst case scenario she'd have a hissy fit over the harness and run crazy all over the house trying to get it off which would at least give her a bit of exercise. So what did she do? She flopped. She slumped on the ground and refused to budge a muscle and just growled at me for ten minutes. So much for that idea!

We just put her on a diet instead in the end.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby shelbel » Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:19 pm

You crack me up EWQ! We have a neighbour who recently got a burmese kitten, everynight she takes it for a walk on a leash around the complex, its so cute! My cat totally gets enough exercise when she has her 'bengal crazies' and tears around the house for 10 mins at a time!! But she is still fat, but thats because she's had 2 litters!

Did the diet work? How does one put a cat on a diet anyway?? :D
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:23 pm

We buy Hill's Prescription Diet cat food from the vet. They have different types to aid in weight loss for indoor cats and outdoor cats and one to help maintain weight. It's really not much more expensive than supermarket pet food and her coat is in much better condition as a result. She's still a roly-poly catopotamus, but she's slightly less lardy than before.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Tarz » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:30 pm

EvilWombatQueen wrote:Haha! I have a cat. I actually bought her a pet harness because both she and I needed a bit of extra exercise and I thought taking her for walks would accomplish that. I figured that worst case scenario she'd have a hissy fit over the harness and run crazy all over the house trying to get it off which would at least give her a bit of exercise. So what did she do? She flopped. She slumped on the ground and refused to budge a muscle and just growled at me for ten minutes. So much for that idea!

I bought my cat one as well, not to excersice him but so he could go outside when we do because we ive in a top floor apartment. When we put the harness on it was like he thought he was paraalyzed. He would drag himself along the floor and not move his legs!
Tarz

Postby JP1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:37 pm

Yeah I got Jack the nutty labrador... he use to weigh nearly 60 Kg the fat bugger but he is down to just under 50 Kg now and probably needs to lose and 4 or 5 Kilos.

I never use to take him for many walks or when l did it was a chore tbh but since l started by health liefstyle l've found time to take him out twice a day for at least 90mins a day... he absolutely loves it and has a good time jumping in the water at a stream l go to.

Have just started going to the gym and must admit l get guilt when l'm on the treadmill and feeling a little bored by it all wishing I was out walking him instead. Well won't let that get in the way of taking my bud out for his walks anyway.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby surfchick33 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:49 pm

Ooh - just found this thread - I have a dog & he is pretty much my personal trainer. I just take one look at his beautiful big eyes first thing in the morning & buckle at the knees. So yes, I take him for a walk every morning & night. It's great - keeps me active & keeps me social.

:P ps I am a big dog lover!
surfchick33

Postby SkinnyBride2B » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:04 pm

Ohh i have a puppy too... 9 month old german shepherd who absolutely adores her walks.

We try to go most days after work, even if its dark and a little cold outside. She is precious :D
SkinnyBride2B

Postby Phat-Beth » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:07 pm

Yep, dogs are great motivation. My dog and I go hiking all summer long! On rainy days, I go to the gym alone (she does not go to the gym with me), but even then I'm sill forced to get up for a brisk few blocks worth of walk 3 times a day. She does not much like rain, but on nice days where I have thought myself too busy to take her up the trails, she guilt trips me into spending every possible minute I can walking her and keeping her amused.

Sometimes she tricks me into walking to a fast food place.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spam removed from signature.
Phat-Beth

Postby nari1208 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:48 pm

We can walk our dogs together with us whenever we go jogging every morning. The both of us would be healthy and fit. :D
nari1208

Return to Exercise Motivation