It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Monday 15th May

Tell us what exercises you do and enjoy to keep fit and lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Monday 15th May

Postby Groovychic » Mon May 15, 2006 8:54 am

Slow treadmill session. 3km in 25 mins. Still not feeling great and keep coughing up loads of crap off my chest but I really wanted to do something today. On Saturday I walked about 4ks for the day, around the streets of Augusta and then up and back to the boat ramp 3 times from where we stayed, was about 1km there and back. So at least I did a bit of exercise, but nothing substantial.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon May 15, 2006 8:46 pm

That's no good that you're feeling sick! I have a fantastic herbal remedy that tastes like crap but usually cures or greatly reduces any colds that look like rearing their ugly heads. Greenridge Flu Biotic . I have a teaspoon in the mornings followed by some watered down juice (you can't just use water, trust me) when I know I am at a weak spot or can feel something coming on.

Anyway....
Rode to work and back. 1:50hr total 20.4km
Last edited by Butterfly_Dawn on Mon May 15, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Mon May 15, 2006 8:56 pm

Hope you start to feel better soon Rochelle. I still think 3 kms in 25 mins is a good effort.

Crikey Tegan an hour and fifty you are really getting some good exercise from that. Well done.

Walking 45mins
Karate 1 hour (I joined karate tonight eeekkk, quite enjoyed it) Oh and walked there and back about not sure how long it took though.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon May 15, 2006 9:08 pm

I used to do Aikido twice a week which I loved. Don't have the time these days, but would like to take it up again. Aikido is great for women and people with joint issues because it's not based on strength and is not an aggressive sport (ie you don't actually ever attack the other person, only defend from their attack).

I hope you enjoy Karate, you'll probably feel it for the first few training sessions before your body adjusts.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Mon May 15, 2006 9:17 pm

My girlfriend does Aikido and she loves it.

The Karate went well and I am glad I have already made exercise a regular routine or else it would have been a whole lot harder. There was a stance (squat type technique) that made my quads scream! Will go back next week.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Tue May 16, 2006 9:43 am

I started Karate the beginning of last year but then I started playing netball and doing my regular walks as well and the ball of my foot started playing up. I think it was probably the heavy landing from netball mainly but the fact that I was doing karate bare foot on cold floor boards, because it was the start of winter, didn't help it! So the doc said it was arthritis and that I had to give up the netball and karate if I wanted the pain to go away. Plus keep my feet warm. I figured I enjoyed walking more than the other two! What karate club are you with Kim. My kids are with GKR. What a pyramid system that is!!!! The poor lady who is the sensai(instructor) doesn't even get paid!!!! Her children get half priced lessons and that is it. And you have to do a certain amount of classes before they let you go for a belt etc etc. The kids are on their yellow belts with an orange tip(meaning they are half way to their orange belt). They have about another 8 or 9 lessons to go before they can attempt their orange belt. They had to do a minimum of 26 classes before they could go for their orange! Can't remember what it was for the yellow belt. Plus a $25 fee to actually try out for it. Plus money for this and money for that!!! Costs me nearly $15 each lesson for the 2 of them. But I want them to do something and my daughter particularly loves Karate. And my son needs some toughening up I reckon!!! It is good exercise but they do find it rather boring. Doing the same kicks and punches each week. At least the sensai does some games and stuff with them to break up the monotony a bit! Good luck with it Kim. And I hope you enjoy it. Remember to bow as you enter the dojo and when you leave. It makes me laugh how strict they are with it all!!! If its fine this arvo I will go for a walk while they are at their lesson. Speaking of walking, I also went for a 2km walk while they were at soccer yesterday. Took about 20 mins. I really enjoy walking in town, now that I live out of town. Funny that, when I was in town, I hated it cos I had to wave to every second car that went past, whereas now I love to do it!!!! Because I don't do it very often I guess. And when I walk in the bush out here I don't see anyone. Tho every so often I might pass someone else, which scares the crap out of me cos I am in my own little world!!!! So I ended up doing 45 mins exercise yesterday, which isn't too bad considering I'm still not feeling the best. I've got a headache this morning because my sinus are infected! Happens every time I get a cold. I've got some eucalyptus type oil which I put a few drops in my hand when my sinus are blocked and sniff, so I am going to have to go and do that. Works quite well. My body has had enough tablets from the ovary problem last week, that I am trying to avoid taking anything if I can. Anyway yapped on way enough, and I better do something about the kids lunches. I'm going to make cup cakes for them today. I gotta be really strong and not eat them!!!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Tue May 16, 2006 8:06 pm

Hi Rochelle, yeah it is GKR but it is within walking distance of my house so I no I will manage to turn up and it was an addition to give variety to what I am already doing. You're right though there are a lot of little costs that seem to add up but for now it is being used for the exercise and if it becomes more then that's fine too. It may also lead to finding out what martial arts I really want to do and motivating me to go for that. This may or may not be what I am looking for.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby KimE » Tue May 16, 2006 8:09 pm

Good on ya Rochelle just keep yourself moving.

Walking 55 mins.

Walked up to the city and back to look at motorcycles. Mmmm think I found my new one!! Now, if they can just get it in a different colour....
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Groovychic » Wed May 17, 2006 9:11 am

Hi Kim....make sure you go and get your yellow belt in the 4 months specified or else you don't get the life membership! It's only 12 lessons to go for your yellow so you should be right. I made the kids go yesterday arvo. Ash loves it but Alex doesn't want to do it. I also buy the 12 visit passes for them as it works out a little cheaper. $70 each and no time limit to use it in. I'm not sure what buying one pass costs. I think I can still remember first Karta. And probably second Karta because that was basically first karta with an added kicks into it!!! The kicks are similar to tae bo I noticed. And the punches too. I do regret not getting my yellow belt at the time because then I could just start up again now and seeing you do it makes me want to do it again!!! Ash got an award last night so she was pleased as punch. They don't go every week anymore because I have to fight too much with Alex. So I am trying for every second week now.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Groovychic » Wed May 17, 2006 9:17 am

OOOOOO and I just thought of something Kim.....make sure you make those silly noises when doing your punches!!!! When I took the kids for their yellow belt exam thingo there was this guy who was making the most horrid noises. My girlfriend and I were cracking up...we thought he was gonna hyperventilate or something!!!! And when you are going for the belt they come up and touch you and as you get higher up the belt ladder they start to hit you. This poor guy(the one making the noises) they were really laying into him. He didn't make as much noise after that. The idea is that you don't let them distract you. No way was I gonna have someone touch me!!! But they expect you to make the noise. There was no way I could do that. It was just silly!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby KimE » Wed May 17, 2006 7:07 pm

First off...my post up there ^ that says 55 mins walking was supposed to be on 16/05/06 exercise day and I was replying to your post there Rochelle.

Anyway, thanks for the tips on Karate Rochelle as I couldn't remember how many months/weeks it was to get the yellow belt to get the lifetime membership so I am sure I will be able to do it in that time as I will go each week. I may need to go to another class elsewhere as this only went for an hour and we didn't get to do any sparring although the sensai did start showing me first karta and I said I would probably forget it by the next time I turn up! But overall I did enjoy myself and I knew about the 'noises' already and the sensai had us all doing it straight off pretty much. When the chap signed me up he actually said it was non contact and I couldn't figure out how it could maintain that as you progess to the higher belts but it seems that isn't the case. That doesn't particularly worry me anyway. Hang on, hang on. What do you mean they come up and touch you when your grading, do they do that even for the lower coloured belts? And what exactly do they touch? :?
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Return to Daily Exercise Diary