It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Free Newsletter

The Gym

Tell us what exercises you do and enjoy to keep fit and lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

The Gym

Postby The Funny Bone » Mon Aug 22, 2005 3:22 am

I've a gym memebership and didn't mind going but got slack, had sore back, went to physio and never went back.

Well, every month $65 comes off my credit card to pay for this gym membership, it's $14.95 a week, cheaper than Weight Watchers by $2.00 a week.

So Monday I am going to try and go back.

Lets see what happens.
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:17 am

A wise choice Funny Bone, let us know what they get you doing at the gym. Do they have trained people come out to advise you what to work on?
Which gym are you a member of?

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:30 pm

Your Gym Instructors will be able to help you with a program so you don't hurt your back.

I opted to pay for Sureslim instead of renewing my Gym membership, I can't afford both :(

I intend to get into a routine for more walking when the weather eases up a bit.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby The Funny Bone » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:57 pm

well, it's 1130am and I've just got up and so haven't gone yet :oops: It's too cold, I hate going to the gym when I am so cold. That's mostly why I haven't been since. I actually prefer to swim, but it's far too cold even if the pool is heated. I really feel the cold, I have poor quality fat, it doesn't keep me warm :x

Sore back wasn't related to the gym. I had a PT for 4 sessions and frankly, apart from showing me how to use the equipment, it isn't worth it. You have to pay for it.

Couldn't afford to do WW and the gym like you fairie so gave up on WW as I was sick of counting points and started to miss meetings.

I go to zest in Bibra Lake, when I go. :oops: I've not been since the first week of June. I won't cancel the membership as I do use it in summer, especially for the pool.

If I go, I usually go in the middle of the day, it's quieter so you don't have to wait for equipment. I was a bit worried when I joined I'd be the only fat chick, but there are lots of girls and guys the same. Sure you get the skinny ones who look in the mirror all the time, but it's not as intimadating as I initally though it would be - what people had told me. Lucky I didn't listen to them.
The Funny Bone

Postby Fairie » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:42 pm

When I was going I would only use the Treadmill and Bike and maybe a couple of weights for the arms. I would only go after the morning rush of classes etc had finished as I felt more comfortable as I too was probably the largest one there and I didn't look at myself in the mirrors like all the others either. :wink:

I know in this cold weather you don't want to venture out much but try to push yourself to go because once you get yourself into a routine it will get easier and then you will really miss it when you don't go. :)
-Fay-

[/url]
Fairie

Postby The Funny Bone » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:50 pm

and a push it was, but I have been!!

I did:
10 minutes on the treadmill
10 minutes on the bike
then did some weights
then-
5 minutes on the cross trainer -> this thing really kills me, I had just learnt to use it when I stopped going
and then did some more weight machines.

So I managed just over 30 minutes and I was puffing so much! I didn't stop inbetween the exercises and machines, just kept going. I could have stayed longer on the bike but my bum was so sore!

I've got 2 sessions I paid for when I joined with the Personal Trainer and I'm going to go to them to get a programme to follow.
The Funny Bone

Postby Serena » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:45 pm

That cross trainer is a B*#%! isn't it? My program has me doing 20 minutes on it every time I step in the door of the gym. I haven't been to gym for 2 weeks now and I know I'm gonna pay for it when I hop on that cross trainer! But well done on getting there! It really makes you feel better and fitter and more in control. I'm really missing the motivation that regular exercise gives you. I get my stitches out tomorrow so Wednesday I've got no excuse! Keep up the good work.
Serena

Postby The Funny Bone » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:06 pm

20 minutes :shock: I'd be carted out on a stretcher if I tried that, mind you the first time I went on it I lasted the whole of 2 minutes. :oops:

Well, eventually I'll build up to it. I'd like to go to some of the classes but am too unfit at the moment.

Still 30 minutes at the gym is better than 30 minutes on the couch eating.

I got some trainers from Athletes foot, had them professionally fitted and paid about $160.00 and I don't feel like they are supporting my feet very well. For instance, I could go longer on the treadmill but my left ankle starts to hurt and I could stay longer on the bike but me bum hurts. That is what is so frustrating...but then I just run out of steam as well.
The Funny Bone

Postby Dolly » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:57 pm

Hi The Funny Bone,
Sorry to hear your ankle is giving you trouble.
Athletes foot is one of the very best in foot care you can get for fitted shoes, perhaps the natural built orthotics in the shoe are actually correcting your foot and ankle and that's why it's hurting. If I were you I'd ask one of those personal trainers at Zest to take a look at your shoes to see if their okay.
Dolly
Dolly

Postby Fairie » Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:47 am

Well Done FunnyBone, that's a great first day. My trainer told me when I first started to have a day's break then come in on the next day otherwise your overloading your muscles and you will be so sore that you will give up. I used to bring a towel and use it as a coushion. :wink:
Your "bum" will eventually get used to the bike as long as you keep doing it. As for your ankle maybe you could try an ankle support till it gets stronger. When I got my new trainers from Joggers World they told me I needed ones with more side support because I wasn't running only walking and they are so much better than the other ones I had. My ankle is so much more supported, I no longer have sore ankles or knees.

I also hated the Cross Trainer but by the time my membership finished I could do 15 minutes on it. 8)

Keep going it will get easier. :)
-Fay-

[/url]
Fairie

Postby The Funny Bone » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:46 pm

I'm not the slightest bit sore today, nadda, nothing. Now I am wondering if I didn't work hard enough. I was going to go back today, later in the arvo after I have waxed my eyebrows and upper lip, watched the mid-day movie (it's my day off!) and done some boring housework.

My cat sat by the litter tray last night (actually 1am this morning) and was howling like a wolf. I though she'd got a haemorroid or something, only to realise I had forgot to clean the litter tray yesterday morning, too busy thinking about the gym, looking for water bottle and towel ect. So, at 1am I had to do the litter tray so she could use it. She sat and watched me work.

So, need to get more organised.

Anyway, on the plus side, I got a phone call from the PT this morning and my 2 sessions I paid for back in May and haven't used are still available so I am going to get the PT to do me a routine and will defo ask about the left ankle. The shoes are good, when I put them on, they make me want to walk, like they have some inbuilt cow prodder, LOL.
The Funny Bone

Postby The Funny Bone » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:29 pm

well about 2 hours after I posted that, I started feeling it. My chest is slightly sore, but my back just seized up again!!! This inital back pain came on one day at work after alot of walking. Basically, the muscles just go all tight, there is no other injury. Well, it's come back.

I really wanted to go today, and I can't because the pain is awful. Been using deep heat rub and hot packs but jeez, I wish it would just go.

So, anyway, next day I go will be Thursday after work. I have chosen that day as I have the friday off. I hope the back pain has settled by then. I have to work tomorrow and can do without backpain. I am a nurse.
The Funny Bone

Postby Serena » Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:15 pm

Sounds like you need a good masseuse! (Double bonus if he's a spunky one!) Hope your back feels better soon. Maybe you can get the PT to give you some exercises to strengthen your back.
Serena

Postby Fairie » Wed Aug 24, 2005 10:36 am

Do you have a Fit Ball? They are exellent for strengthening back muscles, you just lay over it then lift your legs up
-Fay-

[/url]
Fairie

Postby The Funny Bone » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:20 pm

back is fine this morning. Too bad I slept in, I could have gone to the gym before work. I'm sulking now because I would have really liked to go.
The Funny Bone

Next

Return to Daily Exercise Diary