It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Sarah's 12-day excercise journal

Tell us what exercises you do and enjoy to keep fit and lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Sarah's 12-day excercise journal

Postby SarahC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:48 pm

Wow, my first time writing an excercise diary! This is to go along with my 12 day food diary 8)

Day 1 (Friday 26th Jan)

Warm up: Treadmill 30 mins (7.6km/hr, 12% incline, as per usual lol)

Fat Loss Circuit Training:
Back - bent over barbell rows, 20kg, 6 sets of 8 reps
Chest - lying dumbell pec flyes, 8kg, 6 sets of 8 reps
Biceps - standing barbel curls, 15kg, 4 sets of 8 reps
Calves - calf raises holding 2 10kg dumbells (balance lol!!), 4 sets of 12 reps
The circuit was one set of weights alternating with 45 seconds of high intensity cardio. I had the stepper on level 18 - 20 (it goes up to 20 and I normally have it on 13 :shock: ). It worked out to be a total of 18 mins.

Cool down: Bike 15 mins (level 5)

"Core Combo": 3 sets of abs, 2 sets of back extensions, 2 sets of rotator cuff excercises (hard to explain... but it's for your shoulders)

After that I collapsed in the sauna (not literally, but almost :lol: )

Day 2 (Saturday 27th Jan)

Warm up: Treadmill 40 mins (same 7.6km/hr, 12% incline)

Fat Loss Circuit Training:
Shoulders - standing dumbell press, 5kg (I have no shoulder muscles :oops: ), 5 sets of 8 reps
Tricep - pushdowns (on machine really designed for chest presses :? ) 43kg, 5 sets of 8 reps
Legs - leg press, 120kg, 6 sets of 8 reps
Hamstrings - lying hamstring curls, 25kg, 4 sets of 7 reps
Same deal as yesterday, but I did the bike as the cardio... had it on level 8 (normally I can only manage 4 or 5), totalled 15 mins.

Cool down: Stepper 15 mins, same "core combo" as yesterday

Tomorrow is meant to be a day off. We'll see about that :roll:

What fun this is. I used to go to a gym called "Circuit Challenge". They had a huge room set up with weights and cardio, and had circuit classes on. Could be similar to the set up of Curves/Contours kind of gyms, I'm not sure. It was a great workout though :D
SarahC

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Somethings going wrong with my eyes I am sure I saw replys here. Oh I just realised I am going mental. I was thinking of your 12 day food diary. :roll: Don't mind me....I'lll just go sit in the corner quietly.

I got tired just reading that. Well done, sounds like you challenged yourself as well. I too find the shoulder exercises tough and am still on 4kg dumbells although I do less sets with more reps.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Far out!!!! So many sets of everything!! How bored did you get?!!? :P The most sets I've ever done is 3.. I usually do 2..
I'm at 9kg for shoulder press, although I'm sure if I had to do 5 sets I wouldn't be!?

And 120kg on the leg press?! Holy *#*$ (insert whatever 4-lettered word you like here)!!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:33 pm

Hehe, well I assumed it was 120 as it just said "12" on the weight plate... On the other machine I have had it on 110kg, so it could be right :?

9kg for the shoulders is great! I could go more, but that excercise tends to engage the muscles at the front of my neck, for whatever reason I don't know, but that's bad news for my headaches, so I have to take it easy. Same thing happens with situps, I can't take my hands away from the back of my head or the neck muscles just "switch on" :(
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:07 pm

Far out!!! And it's in kilograms, not pounds?! Superwoman indeed!!!

Ahh that's a shame about the shoulders!! Definitely something to watch out for! I'm exactly the same with stomach crunches etc, no matter how hard I try not to pull on my neck and strain it, it always gets sore :( It helps to take my hands away from my head and reach for my knees though!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby SarahC » Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:41 am

Day 3 (Sunday 28th Jan)

Supposed to be a day off, but I went for a run for an hour :roll: I have to start breaking in my new shoes, there's my excuse!!

Day 4 (Monday 29th Jan)

Warm up: Treadmill 45 mins (7.6km/hr, 12% incline)

Lactic Acid Training:
Chest - incline dumbell press, 5kg, 8 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at 8 reps
Back - narrow grip pull down, 25kg, 8 sets of 20 reps (must have been a bit light that one)
Bicep - cable curls, 15kg, 5 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at 13 reps
Calves - standing calf raises, 10kg, 5 sets starting at 20 reps ending at 18 reps
(The idea of the lactic acid training is to use a light weight, starting off at 20+ reps, then keeping the same weight for each set and doing as many as you can till your muscles fail :shock: Similar idea to a Pump class I think...)

Core combo: 3 sets of abs, 2 sets of back extensions, 2 sets rotator cuff excercises.

Maximal interval training:
Bike - 30 sec of max effort (level 8 ), 30 sec rest (level 4), for 8 mins.

Day 5 (Tuesday 30 Jan)

Warm up: Treadmill 35 mins (7.6km/hr, 12% incline)

Lactic Acid Training:
Shoulder - seated dumbell press, 3kg :oops: , 6 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at just 6 reps!
Tricep: cable pushdowns, 20kg, 6 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at 8 reps
Thigh/Quad: leg press, 100kg, 8 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at 18 reps
Hamstring: lying leg curls, 23kg, 4 sets starting at 20 reps, ending at 13 reps

Core combo: same as yesterday

Cool down: Stepper 15 mins (level 13)
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:08 am

Day 6 (Wednesday 31st Jan)

Warm up: Body Attack class (a bit of fun :) )

Sub Maximal High Intensity Intervals:
Stepper, 1 min hard work (level 20), 1 min rest (level 14) for 20 minutes

Cool down: Treadmill, 20 mins (7.6km/hr, 12.5% incline)

Today is a cardio only day, no weights. Thank goodness because I'm a little sore after the lactic acid training :oops: Also, today I'm meant to be eating "protein only"... now as soon as I can remember the reasoning behind that I'll write it in :?
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:47 am

Day 7 (Thursday 1st Feb)

Supposed to be a day off. I'm still struggling with this idea, but trying to do a little less today.

Morning workout at home:
Cross trainer, 30 mins
Pilates DVD, 45 mins

Walking:
I'm planning a walk up to the chemist at lunchtime (40 mins return) and I'll walk to my solarium appointment tonight (30 mins return)

Easy stuff counts as a day off doesn't it? LOL
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:58 am

oooh let us know how the solarium goes sarah
kate_turner2000

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:04 am

This will be my second session (I bought 6). The first, I was in for 7 mins and turned a nice shade of pink! It's kind of brown now I think lol. I think I'm going to be quite dark after 6... well dark by my standards anyway! Hopefully I won't end up looking like a toasted sandwich, you know, dark on the front and back and light in the middle :shock:
SarahC

Postby KimE » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:52 pm

LOL easy day equals day off...yep it does in my book too. :D :roll:
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:32 am

Yay :D Now I don't feel so bad! Just don't think I could go a day without any excercise at all... unless I was not well or something :P

Day 8 (Friday 2nd Feb)

Warm up: Stepmill, 20 mins

Muscle rounds:
* 1 round = 6 sets of 4 reps with 10 secs rest between sets. You pick a weight that you can usually only do 10 reps with, keep that weight the same the whole time, and essentially end up doing 24 reps instead of 10 :D
Quads/Thighs - leg press, 4 rounds with 120kg, and an extra round with 127kg (the 120kg was a bit easy :shock: )
Calves - standing calf raises, 2 rounds with 30kg
Hamstrings - lying hamstring curls, 2 rounds with 27.5kg

Core combo: 3 sets of abs, 2 sets of back extensions, 2 sets rotator cuff

Cool down: Treadmill, 30 mins (12% incline, 7.6km/hr)

I'll also do my usual walk at lunchtime, a bit earlier today due to the heat, and I'm toying with the idea of an extra 15-20 mins on my cross trainer tonight... a bit to early to decide now though :roll:

Yesterday was my protein deprivation day, meaning I didn't eat any protein (just fruit all day... how disgusting!!). The reason being that it sets up in the body a desperate need for protein, meaning that when I start eating protein again (like today!) my body will aggressively store it all up... and with the heavy weight training, that should be turned into muscle :idea: And more muscle = higher metabolism, yay!

4 more days and I'm back to start it all again :shock:
SarahC

Postby KimE » Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:56 pm

You're my hero Sarah...you're a strong one too! Good on you. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby SarahC » Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Thanks Kim :D I seem to be very strong for my size... except for my shoulders and abs, there's no muscles there at all :shock:

Day 9 (Saturday 3rd Feb)

Warm up: Treadmill, 45 mins (12% incline, 7.6km/hr)

Muscle rounds:
Back - seated cable rows, 3 rounds with 32kg (this one's better light as I reckon you can feel it better :wink: )
Chest - dumbell presses, 3 rounds with 8kgs
Shoulders - seated dumbell presses, 2 rounds with 4kgs (I could not get my water bottle to my mouth to take a drink after this :shock: :oops: )
Bicep - barbell curls, 2 rounds with 15kgs
Tricep - bar dips, 2 rounds using my own body weight

Cool down: Stepmill, 25 mins (120 steps/min)

And about 20 mins in the sauna. And I did the float test in the pool LOL... I float vertically, luckily for me with my face just above water level :lol:
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:35 am

Day 10 (Sunday 4th Feb)

Today is cardio only, no weights - yay :D

Run along the river: 60mins
Sub-maximal High Intensity Intervals: cross trainer, 20 mins, 1 min hard work (level 9) to 30 sec rest (level 6)

Off shopping... that's gotta burn a couple of calories at least, as long as I can avoid those cakes at the coffee places :roll: (Got snacks packed in my handbag so it should be right!)
SarahC

Next

Return to Daily Exercise Diary