It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Tuesday 22/11

Tell us what exercises you do and enjoy to keep fit and lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Tuesday 22/11

Postby Dolly » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:20 am

Lung is still sore (due to allergies) so will skip exercise again.
maybe tomorrow
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:30 am

wow, they must be some funky allergies! :shock:

Just did 2 sets of each of the following:
10 reps each: situps, pushups, 2 types of leg lifts, bicep curls, tricep curls and cross body arm pulls with resistance band, and squats.

Will go and have a shower, then walk down town when the rain eases a bit.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:48 am

Yes I have a condition called allergy induced pneumonia. which means I'm almost a prisoner in my home because of chemical smells.
If I smell smoke (especially tobacco smoke, even on clothes) my throat gets sore and sometimes bleeds, then the next day I have tonsillitis, then the following day it turns into bronchitis then after another couple of days I have pneumonia.

2 weeks ago I went to my sons girlfriends 18th they all promised me over and over again it would be safe, there would be no cigarette smoke there, because they would disown the aunty if she smoked.
But her aunty and a couple of the guests were out the front puffing away. I could smell the smoke drifting over the house and 4 days after the party my lung was badly inflammed (I didn't tell them as I didn't want them to fight with the aunty)
It didn't help much that the shire decided to do some burning off day before yesterday whilst I was sleeping, so yesterday I was in agony.
Today I'm consuming plenty of protein and vitamin E oil and nuts rich in vitamin E which is excellent for lung repair.

Today I have less pain than yesterday.
Because of my allergy to tobacco smoke smells, last year everyone went to 2 big family christmas parties, the one on christmas day was 2 hours away but I couldn't go because there would be about 100 of the people there smoking. I had to stay home by myself.
Also the same with my 50th last July, the whole family flew up to Darwin to attend my neices wedding and I stayed home alone, wasn't fun at all. I had to pretend to the family I was fine and didn't want to go anyway just so they would have a good time.

Even when I brave it out of the house to go to a shop, people smoke in cars, outside shopping centre doors so I have to wear a chemical mask to walk by them. If my lung is really sore I just don't risk leaving the house.

I had to quit going to church becausw of the smell of smoke and perfume on their clothes.

I haven't had pneumonia since October last year so I'm doing well.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:10 pm

How terrible! Having athsma is bad enough. I'm really glad that many Tassie pubs and clubs are now smoke free (I think it might actually be law now). I never used to go out because of the smell and the impact on my chest and eyes etc.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tas » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:52 pm

Yes it is against the law to smoke in pubs and restaurants which is why I wont go to either unless I have to. I smoke and occassionally get asthma :shock: but I smoke the healthy alternatives ---menthol LOL
Got pretty sick about 6 years ago and couldn't wait to get out of the hospital for a....smoke :twisted:
Must be bad for you Dolly I sympathise - I don't like the smell of smoke much either - always have windows open or smoke outside where/when ever I can.

Maria
Last edited by Tas on Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tas

Postby emma21 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:26 pm

Decided this morning that today I would actually put some effort in. Did the 1 mile dvd and then 10mins (5.5km) on the exercise bike. I'm going to do that for a week and then build up again..

Emma :)
emma21

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:29 pm

I only just figured out what you meant by "1 mile dvd"! LOL. I was thinking it was some kind of B-grade spin off of the movie 8-mile (or however many miles it was). Couldn't figure out what that had to to with weight loss. LOL. I'm so stupid :oops:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:40 pm

Dolly

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:45 pm

rode bike to gym, not such a good idea i thought at the time, because it was a bit windy, so i was riding into the wind all the way, and by the time i got there, i was exhausted even before starting...lol but anyway i managed 10 mins on treadmill, 10 mins on cross trainer, weights, strengthening exercises (I have lower back problems), and crunches. Yes Dolly it feels good when I arrive at the gym, park my bike, and see the carpark full of cars, and I think silly people I'm ahead of you already.

I am a smoker, and find it a real pain only smoking at designated points. I hate it that Sydney Airport has a smoking room inside the airport, and melbourne does not. But it is much worse in America, at Disneyland even outside there is only certain areas you can smoke. They are very anti smoking there.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:52 pm

I can understand that. But from the other point of view, designated non-smoking areas don't work which is not good for those of us who don't like the stuff and would love the right to have clean air.

I was sitting outside the hospital waiting for an appointment in a non-smoking area with huge signs everwhere, only to find 3 people smoking and the floor littered with buts.

And there's the fact that smokers tend to congregate around doorways. And smoke at any place there are seats (bus stops, park benches, even outdoor eating areas). I spent most of my uni life traipsing around buildings looking for a back door so I didn't have to walk through a smoke plume and usually ate inside, even on lovely days because I don't want to be eating with smoke in my face. Then you get trapped at bus shelters in the rain, usually with a compulsive chain-smoker.

I understand the addiction and how irritating it must be to have to look for a place you can smoke when you're craving that hit, but from a non-smokers point of view it's just as irritating to have unwanted smoke in your face at ever turn.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:12 pm

yes i understand the view of the non smoker but my argument to that is if you don't like the smoke you can move elsewhere, afterall it is always a very small designated area where you can smoke. Like the smoking rooms in airports are a completely sealed room with high powered exhaust fans. Non smokers are such whingers, smokers accept that they are the minority but they don't go on about it. Thats it, had my say, sorry if I offended anyone.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm happy to move and often do. My point is that there's often no place to move to. You may be one of the courteous people who only smokes where there is no-one to bother etc, but many smokers do smoke in situations where it does affect others. Eg. in a designated no-smoking area, designed as a place where non-smokers can , as you say, move to to get away from the smoker, or in a packed bus shelter with dozens of people in pouring rain where the alternative would be to go and stand in the rain.

I'm quite hapy for people to choose to smoke, I just ask that they do it in such a way that others who don't make that choice and who have their health affected by second hand smoke have the opportunity of avoiding it.

Anyway, lets just agree to disaggree.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:23 pm

that sounds good, otherwise it will go on for ever and a day. I would like to quit, i don't like how it controls me, because normally the time you crave the most is when you can't have one, or find a "designated" area to have one, I know it is only a habit thing with me most of the time, but once I reach my goal weight I will have another crack at it.
linda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:27 pm

It's funny how some poeple find it easier to quit than others. My dad has been a non-smoker now for as long as I can remember. Mum's given up dozens of times. Is currently smoke free (going on 6 months I think). I find it weird that she gave up while pregnant with at least both me and my sister, but then took it up again!

My grandma smoked like a chimney but managed to give up when theu said they wouldn't do the triple heart bypass unless she did.

Then there's my old flatmate who only smokes at exams, but has managed to never get fully addicted.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby linda » Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:29 pm

maybe i have an addictive nature, and maybe that is why I am fat too.
linda

Return to Daily Exercise Diary