It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:48 am

Free Newsletter

thursday 5/1/06

Tell us what exercises you do and enjoy to keep fit and lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

thursday 5/1/06

Postby Lynda » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:47 pm

walked 1km to horses. Nearly killed me but made it. 102.8 kg
Lynda

Postby Dolly » Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Good work Lynda
Dolly

well done

Postby marie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:03 am

well done lynda keep up the good work.
marie

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:47 am

Thurs - very slack day!!! Walked for approx. 30 mins with the kids on their bikes. So a reasonable pace but really wasn't long enough. Planned to go again the afternoon but it was a wee bit warm, then CALM decided to do some burning somewhere and all this smoke came in so wouldn't have been a very nice walk. Hence excuses excuses!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:52 am

I have heard (it was on the news a few months ago) that exercising when you can smell or see smoke is actually WORSE for your health than not exercising at all :shock:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:29 pm

Well then I did the right thing not going!!! Should have gone earlier I spose. Will do tonight tho! Have done 30 mins aerobics today and if I get a 30 min walk in this evening that will make me feel a lot better. Haven't been game to get on the scales yet but may do in the next few days to see if anything has happened yet!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:07 pm

Hi Groovychick, I smelt that smoke too.
The sea breeze was just starting to come in and seeing that we don't have air conditioning and I was feeling swelteringly hot, I rushed to open the windows. Unfortunatly CALM (Conservation and Land Management) had their organized burn off happening again and I quickly closed the window as I was choking in smoke. I have a condition called allergy induced pneumonia (I'm seriously allergic to smoke)

Is there any state in Australia where they don't do the burn offs?
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:10 pm

They do do them in Tassie, but in all of the places I've lived here I can't remember having smelled it (only the winter woodheater smoke in Launceston). I think you just have to pick your place.

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Groovychic » Sat Jan 07, 2006 10:54 am

Well I am actually quite glad that CALM do the burnoffs. I don't like the smoke too much but at least it is better than the house burning down. We have thousands of acres of state forest behind us, which they did a nice little burn through in spring 2004, just as we were building our house. So I was pleased with that. My partner actually works for CALM, has done for the 17 years that we have been together! I know a lot of people get upset with the smoke but if it wasn't done then our town would be another Dwellingup or even Bridgetown last year. He watched numerous houses burn as there was nothing they could do. I went to that area in Bridgetown just a few months ago and the same problem exists again........grass nearly as high as my shoulder! And a 2 or 3 metre firebreak isnt going to stop it if it has a howling wind behind it. Not that that it is anything to do with CALM. But if they didn't burn some of the forest then we would all be like NSW and VIC. Those states are just starting to do prescribed burning. I don't think CALM has even done 20% of the scheduled burning. It happens every year. I understand people with problems that are compounded by smoke. But they do put off less smoke than a bush fire! And I know that CALM try not to burn if the smoke is going to head to Perth. Actually Manjimup District don't care about that!!! They just do whatever they want. They get more burning done than Blackwood District as Blackwood is more concerned about the smoke going to Perth. My partner has been to approx 3 burns this season! And 2 small fires. So I am more than happy with that! Anyway enough of that. I'm not going to try to exercise if there is smoke around anymore. Not that there should be much now as it well and truly is summer now!!! Another hot day in store!
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Sat Jan 07, 2006 11:32 am

I agree that the burn offs are a must, it's just sad for the asthmatics or people like me who can die of pneumonia if we get smoke in our lungs.
Last year January (I never saw a warning on the news) I just woke up to the house thick with smoke. I thought some little school kit firestarter has set fire to the hills again.
But after finding my chemical mask I later found out that calm had been doing burning offs.
I agree they should do burn offs, and they do a fantastic job but I just wish I'd seen a big warning so I could have headed for geraldton or something.
I did get pneumonia in my left lung from that episode, then after three courses of antibiotics, my lung lining collapsed onto my lung and tore appart (very painful) leaving a sore patch when I breath, I am still tender there right now, but not as bad.
My sensitivity to smoke and chemicals (allergy induced pneumonia) practically leaves me a prisoner in my home.
People smoke outside shop doors and in carparks so I can't go there.
Most parties people smoke so I have to leave after 5 minutes.
I'm supposed to go to a singaporean bbq tonight but I'm sure someone will smell of cigarette smoke and I will have to come straight back home.
I guess the only safe outing I can have is to visit at my parents house.
I don't have a car airconditioner but in the sweltering heat I have my car window closed because of people in the cars in front of me blowing smoke out of their windows. One light wiff and my lung condition could turn to emphysema and kill me (even though I have never smoked in my life)

I have a chemical mask like this boy is wearing, it's hot and painful and embarrasing to wear in public, just so I can enter a shopping centre because of inconsiderate people smoking outdoors in public, especially outside the store doors.
Dolly

Postby Groovychic » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:33 pm

I can't imagine living like that. My heart goes out to you Dolly. Be warned as there is a lot of smoke down here now. My partner was sent to a fire this afternoon. So I think the smoke is from that and not a burn. Tho Manji was doing that burn the other day so maybe they are burning yet again. I do hope you have gone to the bbq and that you were able to stay and have a good time. The heat has been horrid today. I have just taken the kids swimming again. Some other people were at the damn today and I really didn't want to go showing off the lovely rolls in my bathers but I thought bugger it. Why should I care what they think. And I guess if you have to wear that mask to save your health then that would be the attitude. People are quite rude at times.
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Dolly » Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:15 am

Thanks for the smoke alert.

The bbq was great we just got in a few minutes ago, and nobody smoked there.
There was too much food there and I was starving, but I kept pretending I was full so they would stop offering me food.
The whole time I was there I only ate 4 prawns and some green salad.
Dessert was chocolate cake and ice-cream but once again, I kept pretending I was full and did not have any.
5 and a half hours later I'm home safe away from all that food.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:52 am

Good on you Dolly! Nice restraint! And hopefully your hosts were happy with having fed you something. I find if you just eat a little, but make a big fuss of how nice it was, but you're so full you couldn't fit another morsel, they tend to be happy.

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Daily Exercise Diary