It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:28 pm

Free Newsletter

visiting and food troubles

What foods do you crave and how do you keep yourself from eating too much.

Moderator: Moderators

visiting and food troubles

Postby louise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:32 pm

i don't really 'crave' anything that is too bad for me, although i love dried mango and i sometimes get the yucky stuff with added sugar, which i don't understand why dried fruit would need further sweetening.
anyway my major problem is when visiting people, namely my dad or sister or family friends, who have poor diets and as such have cupboards full of crap. i normally end up eating too much bread or stuff which comes from a can or box. generally something highly processed and highly package and i hate it, i don't get the nutrition and energy i get from the organic fruit and veg i eat at home, so i generally eat more for the to get somewhere near the energy i get from what i eat at home and then i just feel bloated and sick! i normally try to take food with me, but often i don't have time or don't bring enough. i hate it, it makes me feel like a week of good eating and exercise is damaged by a weekend of food that makes my belly frown.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Dolly » Sun Sep 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Yes, weekend visiting can often destroy the weeks hard work of dieting. You're just going to have to make time to prepare your own bag of eats.
They put sugar on the dried fruit because sugar acts as a preserve to stop the fruit going moldy.

My sister-in-law once worked in a dried fruit packaging factory, she said in the old days dried fruit used to clump together into a big lump, but these days it's all separated and plump. She told me the reason for that is because they cover the dried fruit with vegetable oil, it keeps the fruit looking healthier when in actuality the dried clumpy stuff is the one you should go for.
Dolly

Postby Ally » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:14 pm

Take your own stuff mate. It is easier than undoing all your hard work!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby louise » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:28 pm

thank you!
i need to make sure that i make the time to prepare and more importantly perhaps 'think' ahead! i guess its about avoiding situations where i might eat poorly or preparing to tackle them!

also about dried fruit, you can get stuff that is just fruit (not generally from the supermarket though, i guess that stuff is older.), but i've also see in the supermarket a lot of dried fruit labeled 'sweetened' on the front like it makes it better? like dried fruit isn't sweet enough :D .
But perhaps its just turning something they need to do anyway into a marketting ploy.
i have a dehydrator so sometimes i make my own, but generally just eat it fresh, although i just love mango, so when its out of season or when i don't feel like getting sticky fingers i eat the dried stuff. What is also weird is, i've seen it coloured to be bright orange, wouldn't eat that though.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
louise

Postby Dolly » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:13 pm

wow, lucky girl for owning a dehydrator, it must be wonderful to dry your own fruit.
Dolly

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:34 am

:?: Hi Louise I was curious to find out about the food dehydrator you mentioned..Are they good?? My son loves dried fruit, but he cannot have it as he has an intolerance to the preservatives (sulphur dioxide) that they add to the dried fruits. I have been thinking about getting one, but didn't want to spend that amount of money on one if they didn't work. I would appreciate any information you could give me :wink:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Return to Cravings Corner