It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:37 pm

Free Newsletter

How do you not indulge

What foods do you crave and how do you keep yourself from eating too much.

Moderator: Moderators

How do you not indulge

Postby Leila » Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:46 am

Hi all, I was wondering on what people's tips were for not indulging in the "naughty" foods that you crave. All advice is appreciated

xoxo

leila
Leila xoxo

Leila

Postby slimmindown » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:26 pm

hi there Leila, some of the things i have started doing is going for walk, eating a healthy alternative that has some body to it like fruit, nuts etc so it takes my mind of it and sends the message to my brain that I am full.

Also I love singing and listening to music so I have been doing a lot more of that.

Housework, once i get stuck into it i forget about the food idea often, and i get a clean house :lol:

going outdoors and pottering in the garden

reading a good book in the sun

All these things give me a sense of satisfaction and often replace that feeling i am trying to get from the foods i crave.

hope this helps.You need to find something that you like to do ,practice makes perfect , and if you slip up and have something maybe you shouldnt have , Dont beat yourself up to much. Concentrate on the future and dont forget to congratulate yourself when you do beat a craving..... :D :D
[no excuses, I can do it!
slimmindown

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 04, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi leila

it can be hard im not denying it !! lol. but when i feel tempted i just think about how well ive come with my weightloss and how good ill feel in ncie clothes over summer. i sip lots of water when im craving something and within an hour the craving has usually gone. i dont keep junk food in my house that ill eat- like cadbury chocolates! but the other day i tested myself by sitting next to a table of nibblies whilst watching the footy and i didnt have any i just had my water. it was a challenge that i wanted to take and i did really well. you just have to learn to say no to people when they offer you something you know is naughty.
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:43 pm

Two things do it for me.

Thinking on how far I have come and not wanting to throw that away, thinking on how good I now feel.

Weighing up the calories and nutritional value I will get from the 'naughty' food, often little nutrition for the calorie intake.
Last edited by KimE on Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dolly » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:13 pm

Write a list of all the things you have to gain by not delaying your weight loss.
Just focus on the reasons why you want to lose weight.
Dolly

Postby Mandie » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:36 pm

This might be controversial.. but I tend to actually have a bit of what I'm craving!

Basically.. if I start craving chocolate, my usual pattern used to be:
want chocolate, want chocolate, oh god want chocolate, oh my god i need chocolate, i will die without chocolate, someone please help me i need chocolate, i will kill for chocolate, oh god i could eat all the chocolate in the world..

after a day or so, I'd give in and buy a family sized block of chocolate or a packet of tim tams, and scoff the lot!

What I do now?

want chocolate... - buy a small freddo or similar small piece of chocolate. Suck on it and savour the taste. Feel satisfied.

That's the best option for me. Taking the power and strength out of the cravings.. doesn't work for everyone, but that's how I roll!
Mandie

Postby Ally » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 pm

pretty much got both sides of the coin there!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:07 am

Mandie I think that is a good idea.

I think the reason I don't really crave often is due to my Saturday night 'off'. If I really must have something then I would have it at that time and I find if I want some chocolate I can wait until Saturday night to have it and don't give in before hand but I don't buy a block of it but a small bar and munch it slowly.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Ally » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:20 am

I think this is where the everything in moderation comes in really. If you ban things from your diet of course you are going to crave the thing that is banned. (There is a difference in banning something from your diet and choosing not to eat it, if that makes sense!!)

I am with you Kim, I have a day off on a Thursday, after weigh-in, and I find that if I want something, that is when I have it too. It is also good as half the time I find that I get to Thursday and think I am going to have this and that and then end up eating healthy anyway!! It is all about how our mind thinks and perceives things!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby Garfield » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:36 pm

I usually just have whatever I'm craving - hence why I'm trying to lose weight lol.
There are times when I treat it like quitting smoking. When I quit smoking I'd often just go and lock myself in a bathroom and have a cry if it was really bad, then I'd feel better. With food it's never quite bad enough to cry, but I find that if I take a small amount of time out away from everything the craving usually goes. Also if practical I ring my mum and have a chat about what's going on in life and how I'm feeling (I guess I'm usually an emotional eater).
Other than that, I just try to stay away from opportunities to get whatever it is that I'm craving... when I quit smoking I'd only go shopping when I really needed to in order to avoid the temptation when I got to the counter... with food I never ever go down the chocolate aisle at Woolies, I don't walk past the bakery if there is another way to get where I'm going... that sort of thing.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby Natalie72 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:55 pm

I have to completely abstain or I'm done. The longer I go without something like chocolate, the less it becomes an issue. I'll save the treats for mini goal celebrations.

My daughter has just walked in the room with a freddo frog :(
Natalie72

Return to Cravings Corner