It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:28 pm

Free Newsletter

An important question...

What foods do you crave and how do you keep yourself from eating too much.

Moderator: Moderators

An important question...

Postby Carmbutch » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:46 pm

Can anyone tell me if its true that cutting out foods you crave e.g chocolate, for a certain period of time will help to lessen the cravings?

Postby Garfield » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:12 pm

I'm not sure if it would work for everyone...
In my case I find if I don't eat chocolate for a while I still get cravings but I'm better able to cope with them because they are less severe and after not having something for so long it just doesn't seem like a normal thing to eat...
But if I do have some I will want more and more really badly for ages if I haven't had it for a while.
But everyone is different...

Postby Dolly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 4:55 am

A long time ago when I was a Weight Watchers member I had been a chocolate muncher for a long time.
Weight Watchers got me away from chocolate (even though I had been eating some every second day prior to joining and had once shakingly even eaten a large spoon of unsweetened cocoa powder just to satisfy my desperate chocolate craving)
After keeping away from the stuff for several weeks I found I no longer craved it, even when others ate it in front of me.
It's funny I use to convince myself that my body must be lacking something in the cocoa to be wanting it that bad,
but of course that was a load of nonsense.
So in answer to you question. Yes, I truly believe cutting out foods you crave can stop you wanting or needing them.

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:39 am

i agree with dolly

but i still crave chocolate. if im that desparate ill have a darrell lea milk chocolate ( a couple of squares) of the low carb bar. but i have not craved coca cola at all! this is someone who drank nothing but coke all day long- with everything i ate i had to have a glass of coke next to me. i havent had coke since i started my weightloss journey.

what are u craving?

Postby slimmindown » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:12 am

I'm with Kate I used to drink a lot of coke and havent had one glass since I started. I truley believe it would be far to sweet for me now anyway.
With chocolate I have only had cravings for it twice since May, once I had a freddo frog and the other time two squares of chocolate. for me it tasted good at the time, but I havent really craved it since. Maybe the abstinence thing is true for some people. 8)

Not to say I wont want any in the future, but I believe moderation is the key, it is after all the taste we crave mostly, not the quantity.
[no excuses, I can do it!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:39 am

It may depend on why you have it so much. If your body has become physically addicted, the cravings will decrease the longer you go without it. If it's a psychological addiction, you need to address why you like it so much or what it's doing for you before you can reduce the cravings. In the mean time, be aware of it and find an ok way to go about things - if you desperately need chocolate and only the creamy cadbury's full of fat stuff will do, try to get the smallest bar/thing available, or get one for someone else and just have a bite and then SUCK IT. Do not chew, you will wolf it down. Makes it last longer, you still get the taste and you have minimized the damage.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Return to Cravings Corner