It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Free Newsletter

Hormonal sugar cravings

What foods do you crave and how do you keep yourself from eating too much.

Moderator: Moderators

Hormonal sugar cravings

Postby saffy » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:26 am

I find that as I approach the end of my monthly cycle, I get out-of-control sugar cravings. Through sheer willpower I have weaned myself off lollies, chocolates, sweet biscuits and soft drinks, but come 'that time' I constantly crave sugar. To the point where I usually cave in and buy some lollies. Then I hate myself for caving in, but more importantly I get angry at the calories I've taken on board unnecessaruily when I work so hard at the gym to burn them.

Does anyone else have a similar issue, and if so is there a solution? I recall while trying the Tony Ferguson method once I was told to buy chromium supplements. Has anyone had any success with this?
saffy

Re: Hormonal sugar cravings

Postby Blitz » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:22 pm

Willpower is ok so long as it lasts! What works long term is a change of mindset. You have to change the way you think about food and exercise. Change is about developing integrity of character. Becoming a changed person. Character is who you are when no one is watching. The old you use to do junk food. The new you no longer does that because that is not who you are. The difference in mindset is not what we do but who we are. So it is no longer about dietary restriction (doing) but having a healthy lifestyle (being).

The fact that you have weaned yourself off all that unhealthy stuff shows to me that it isn't about physical craving. The battle is in the head. You have given in because you want to give in. You have given yourself an excuse to give in - an out. We've all done that! That's how we got to be fat. My excuses in the past have been things like; I've got asthma, I've got a belly hernia the size of my fist, I've got a bad back, I've got no time, I'm too unfit, I don't like "rabbit food", I don't like exercise, I've got no know-how...and on and on - the real truth is I DIDN"T WANT TO CHANGE! So I found "reasons" (read excuses!). My first step in my weight loss journey was to get honest with myself - to get real and face up to that reality and change.

Tony Ferguson isn't the answer. If it was - you would be here, right? :shock: :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby saffy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:28 am

Tony Ferguson definitely is NOT the answer, but I was more wondering about the use of chromium supplements. The best part of things like Tony Ferguson is that they do work - while you use them. The few times I did, I lost a bit of weight. But of course it doesn't teach you how to eat properly so once you stop - back goes the weight.

You're right, I let myself cheat because I think I have an excuse. I caved in a couple of nights ago at work and bought lollies from the vending machine - but I work in a secure environment, and had I not taken coins in with me 'just in case' I needed those lollies, I could not have bought them. Or at least not without going to the bother of getting back out to my locker to get the money out. So I really did set myself up for failure that night. I'll remember that next time I'm tempted to take coins in to my workplace.
saffy

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:44 pm

It's a very human thing to do. That is way change of character is difficult. You have to honestly confront aspects of one's self that aren't too complimentary. The good news is that once you do change, the whole world opens up for you. But that is the unknown. It is only by daring to change that we discover how much better life could be.

Wishing you success for that better future! :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Cravings Corner