It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:19 am

Free Newsletter

toast and vegemite

What foods do you crave and how do you keep yourself from eating too much.

Moderator: Moderators

toast and vegemite

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:42 pm

Many of the evil foods that I like have low fat alternatives. Rice crackers, healthy pizza, homemade burgers, chips baked in the oven and lots of other great healthy alternatives.

I can't however come up with a healthy version of toast and vegemite. I looooooooooove white bread, toasted and slathered in butter and vegemite. I don't like the taste of margarine so that's not an option for me. I really miss this treat. :cry:
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby Green_Butterfly » Tue Jan 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Yeah im with you, Mary. I also love fresh white bread with butter (or marg, im not picky) and vegemite. I could eat 6 pieces in a sitting. Or, my other fav, Vegemite and butter sandwiches, I would squash the sanga down so it was like I was eating one piece of bread, and through about 3 each time....ohhhh soooooo deliciously naive of me to wonder i was getting a bit porky!

.....but hey.....i still have the memorys....

**Bec**
Life's a garden, dig it!!!
Green_Butterfly

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:12 pm

oooh i know where you are both coming from!

vegemite is apparently very good for you but the white bread and butter- well maybe in moderation mary :) be good to yourself and you will be able to have your toast :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:15 pm

mmmm my favourite
i like it when its a bit cold so the margarine doesnt melt and it mixes with the vegemite yummmm
Jisgone

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Jan 16, 2007 7:23 pm

maybe i'll plan a toast and vegemite treat somewhere down the track...i'll have to steal one of those little butter pats from a restaurant 'cos I refuse to have a whole package of butter in the house

It is funny that vegemite is good for you...how else are you supposed to eat it without the unhealthy white bread and butter?

although come to think of it I think I do have a couple of recipes where you add a dollop for flavouring...might have to go searching
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby Dee » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:29 pm

You can use vegemite as an alternative to stock in soups and stuff - stringer flavour, but not as overpowering as you'd think. It's really good in vegetable soup or minestrone. Don't know how I found that out though :? It seems a little weird now that I think about it, but it works!
[url=http://www.phenforum.com/ticker/]
[/url]
Dee

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:08 am

I always stick it in my rissoles or meatloaf....it adds a nice flavour!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:24 am

here's a story- because i know you ALL LOVE KATE'S STORIES!

when i was living at home and if i didnt like something that mum had cooked for dinner- vegies AGAIN! i would whinge and mum would tell me about how when she was younger and all her brother and sisters lived on the farm with grandma (and they were poor and had to walk bare feet to school which was 3kms away each day and milk the cows and cute the chickens heads off and pluck them) that sometimes they had to have vegemite soup for dinner. -water and vegemite- not bonox or the like- VEGEMITE! i almost heaved!
kate_turner2000

Postby Ally » Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:25 am

hahaaha yes Kate....we all love your stories (keeps me sane!)

yes that was a very common thing....my nan and grandad struck on that when they moved to Australia all those years ago...Grandad now he was a Bonox fan, but he didn't mind the old vegemite soup!! (It is actually not too bad from memory....he used to make it for me when I was sick!)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:03 am

My grandma still drinks Bonox lol. It sounds absolutely horrible! Still love vegemite anyway. I live near the Vegemite factory in Melb and take in lots of deep breaths when I drive past... yum!

As for healthy alternatives, Freedom Foods makes a "Vege Spread"... it has no wheat/yeast etc that's in vegemite, although I think the salt content is rather similar. I also get the Country Life rye bread (dark rye or soy-lin) - it is more expensive but it has a lot less carbs than regular bread (I think it's only 30% carbs, whereas a lot of other breads are 40 - 50%) and is also free of wheat and yeast. I don't eat butter/marg either... don't need it I reckon :wink:

Oh and there's another that I am yet to try. It's made by a company called Empower foods - it's a low carb high protein bread :shock: You just buy the bread mixture and have to bake it yourself. Sounds very interesting. Knowing me I'd turn it into a rock and have to eat it with a hammer... but I might try it one day anyway :)
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:33 am

LOL sarah i think those vegemite fumes are going to your head JK!

here's another kate story- haha

in africa we brought a lot of bread- the bread over there isnt sliced you have to slice it yourself and their bread has a sugary taste to it- quite yummy. before we went on safari we stocked up on food and drinks for the week and off we went. however, one of the loaves got so stale that we used it for other reasons...

a football to throw around, a door stopper and once one of the girls spilt fanta all over the floor so we used it as a sponge...

talk about hard bread!
kate_turner2000

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 pm

Mmm Mary I love vegemite on toast, I used to have it with marg though. I never used to eat it if the toast had gone cold (I can't stand cold toast!!) And I always used to put the vegemite on really roughly so that there were little balls of buttery-vegemity stuff all over the bread :P :P Can't remember the last time I had that!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Postby KimE » Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:13 pm

Mmm yeah crusty white bread with butter and vegemite. It's funny how we all love similar things.

LOL Kate vegemite soup...yuck.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:08 pm

LOL Sarah about the hard bread...yeah I'd have about the same success rate (I'm not a bad cook but not that great on baking...never pay enough attention to all those exact measurements).

I'll give the alternatives you suggest a try thanks...but I'll still have a soft spot in my heart for the old toast, butter and vegemite...I suspect it's partly because it reminds me of childhood (the good bits)
Cheers, Mary

mary_in_adelaide

Postby Simmy » Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Vegemite is great, and Im so glad to see no one is backing promite!
Simmy

Return to Cravings Corner