It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:59 pm

Free Newsletter

Relax

Tell us how you wind down and regenerate your mind, body and spirit.

Moderator: Moderators

Relax

Postby Adder » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:50 pm

I am glad there is a thread on this in this forum as I think relaxing is vitally important to weight-loss, and ofcourse health and beauty in general; because how relaxed we are has a direct effect on our health, and of course our mood. (When I start talking about this I always start thinking of that scene in The Holiday when Cameron Diaz is going crazy talking about how being stressed makes women look older but not men - I don't know if that is true, but it always makes me laugh, which doesn't help trying to get my point across!)

Me and my OH made NY resolutions this year to slow down, stop rushing, and simply stop being so stressed! By slowing down I don't mean being a slob - spending the day watching telly and then fallling asleep on the couch - I mean ensuring that you have 'me' (or 'us') time to really rejuvinate and reflect on the day and what will be happening the next. A time without screens and constant buzzing noise of electronic, a time to talk and to listen, and to breath ... (you can see I really believe in this stuff!)

Learning to relax (and it can take learning!) is perfectly apt for people like us who are trying to loose weight. Because this also invovled making sure you get enough sleep, and that that sleep is GOOD sleep. I read this article here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-health/10780741/The-science-of-sleep-how-much-are-you-getting.html

In the middle of the article it talks about the connection between getting less than 5 hours of sleep a night and obesity - I had no idea there was one! Me and my OH (who is also overweight) decided that we were going to try and get eight hours sleep (the recommended amount for adults) as often as possible, and if we were to do this properly we had to replace our awful lumpy mattress. We went and got a memory foam mattress from *name deleted* Bedrooms, and have never slept better. We may not spring out of bed each morning, but we certainly have more energy at breakfast (energy for yoghurt and museli, mind!) and throughout the day. Nothing to do with tablets, medication, crazy diets or hypnosis. We are simply relaxing more .... and feel great.

So great, that sometimes we even do a Cameron ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BxMOwRhlGQ
Adder

Re: Relax

Postby Blitz » Thu May 01, 2014 4:34 am

Sleep is very important. It is one of the things that people who are trying to lose weight overlook. The principle of losing weight is basically stressing the body through controlled food intake and exercise into surrendering it's fat reserves. Sleep, apart from it being the principle time the body uses to organise itself for upcoming demands, also gives relief to that stress we apply during waking hours.

I have found a great way to slow the pace of life down is going for walks with loved ones. The simple chatter of sharing thoughts, dreams and even nonsense as you walk is quality time. Even walking in silence with a gentle breeze on your face and the melodic sounds of birds in the surrounding trees can calm the soul as the moment is enjoyed.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Return to Time to Relax