It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Free Newsletter

WEIGH-IN 7/7/05

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

WEIGH-IN 7/7/05

Postby Serena » Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:08 am

Well I'm not actually weighing in today because clearly my scales have been lying to me even when they have been speaking to me. I weighed in at the gym on Monday (admittedly with my shoes on) and it said 141.6kg! That's disgusting! If we take a bit off for the shoes we might say 140kg. That's a lot. I know it's only 2kg heavier than I thought I was last week but it seems like so much more. Any way, have done two work outs already this week and hoping to get another one in. Working out really makes you hungry. I'll have to be really careful with my food.

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:30 pm

Serena, exercise does make us hungry, especially when we just start a new program because of a thing called homeostasis.

Basically, our bodies don't mind putting on weight but they don't like losing weight and to this end want to maintain the status quo.

This status quo is homeostasis and when we exercise and burn more energy than usual, our bodies want us to replace that energy by eating more food so we at least maintain our current weight.

The "trick" then when we're exercising is to slip some nutrient rich and low calorie snacks into our diet so that we are eating more than usual but there is a net deficit of energy. If we can replace any of the high calorie foods that we normally eat with lower calorie options, all the better.

After a little while, our bodies get used to the exercise and its new lower weight and the homeostasis "bar" is set lower.

Because we no longer need as much energy to maintain our new weight our hunger pains are less severe.

The bottom line of all this is we need to be careful in the first few days, weeks and months of our new exercise program not to give in freely to these hunger pains and avoid the mistake of rewarding our exercise effort with nutrient poor, high calorie foods (like pizza, potato chips, chocolates, biscuits and the like).

The great news is that if we can do this, it eventually gets easier and easier.

Keep up the great work and please keep us posted about your progress towards your goal weight. :D

Postby emma21 » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:24 pm

I bought new scales yesterday (digital ones) and my other ones weigh a kilogram lighter so I have adjusted my ticker thing accordingly. I have managed to only lose 0.4 kg this week which is okay i guess because even though I have been exercising every day, my eating habits havent been perfect. I am working on an eating plan (that I will stick to!) :shock:

Emma :)

Postby Scott » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:08 am

My eating has sucked recently too.

I've been exercising everyday which isn't showing up on the scales (I weighed in at 87.9kgs yesterday - about the same as last week).

What I have noticed though is that my waist has reduced a little and my jeans and pants are looser.

I've started doing some cruches and knee raises for my stomach and it appears to be working a little!

As they say, the scales aren't everything!!! :D

Postby Hayley » Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:31 pm

Oops! Sorry, I had visitors staying and forgot to complete my weigh in. Well, I jumped on the digital scales this morning when I woke up and to say I was disappointed would be an understatement. I weighed 85.4kg, 38.6% body fat! and 44.2% body water. I have not only put on weight since joining this forum, but my % of body fat is disgusting - I really do need to tone up and lose weight. I was also really concerned about my water %. I know it sounds silly, but I often forget to drink water, especially when it's cooler. I read somewhere that they now recommend you drink a litre per 25kg of body weight. Is that right? How much should I drink every day?

Hayley's weigh in

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 pm

Hi Hayley,

yes in the feature article for this month (Sonja's weight loss dieting tips) Sonja refers to the latest recommendations which are 1 litre per 25kgs of body weight per day.

Looks like you better carry a bottle of water with you wherever you go!!!

I drink plenty of water during my workouts which helps ensure I get what I need, but it is so easy to forget to drink water.

I think the key is to have a bottle next to you at all times - speaking of which, I'd better fill up the bottle sitting next to me!

Don't let this temporary setback upset your progress, just regroup and start moving forward again. :)

Return to Weekly Weigh In