It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:27 pm

Free Newsletter

Fifty and Fat

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Fifty and Fat

Postby BigBasil » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 am

Greetings all. Finally, it has come to this. Over the years, I have gone up and down in weight more times than a bridal nightie and now I am about to turn the big 50. :shock:
I am a full time carer for my wife who is 36 :lol: and so I stay home most of the time. My weight has risen steadily over the past ten years from 115kg to January 2nd this year of 130.2kg! :oops:
Due to limited funds, I cannot afford a gym or buy fancy drinks or shakes and believe it or not I actually eat healthy food and dont drink alcohol(well, except for the occasional snort during the festive season or birthdays).

When I was younger, I could do exercise of 2k runs, ride my bike to work and play table tennis all day, which made me loose 15kg in 3 months. But I was a spritely 35 year old then. Now with my 50th only 5 weeks away, it has become the battle of the bulge. On the hereditary side, my mother battled weight loss all of her life, but my father is skinny(now why is it in couples you get one big one and one skinny one, you ever noticed that :evil: ?), so he just put up with everything mom did, from diets, to fad diets to surguery. Now half the kids born were of mums genes(me and my youngest sister) long sufferes of weight imbalances, and my 3 other brothers who were like dad. It pisses me off when my brother would say how fat I have become while he is digging into a plate of meat and spuds and I am feeling guilty about eating anything :x .

Well, so much for the history lesson. I figure that I need some kind of exercise. Now I hate walking. :x One, because it is soooo boring and two, I have a cerviacal rib, which means I have a nerve that connects over the extra rib on my left side which causes my left arm to go numb when walking for longer than 20 minutes. I have had this since I can remember, even when I was in the army at 17. I have an Obetrek, but it states maximum weight is 120kg. Damm, 10kg over. When I try it, it makes a horrible racket, must be a built in complaint component. So I have dusted off the old push bikes and trying them.
Now I measured the distance from our house to the top of the street. About 250 meters. Uphill. So, I figured 8 times up every day. About 2k a day, uphill on a push bike. Problem is, the bike tyres are rated to only 90k, so they are constantly being flattened by my fat ass. Gives me an excuse to go for a 20 minute walk to the service station to pump them up and ride home.

Anyway, after the inital shock of seeing 130.2 on the scales, in 2 weeks I have gone down to 126.8kg. I do my riding 6 days a week, usually when the wife is preparing dinner so I have an appetite. I drink more water than I used to(I hate water :evil: ), and one thing I have noticed is that I actually do snack. I have denied this for years, but now when I think about nibbling on something I make an effort not to, and wow :shock: I do eat a lot between meals. I have now taken up eating beans(green fresh from the produce) if I feel like nibbling, however, once a fortnight I buy a treat of shortbread bickies.

This is my jouney. :mrgreen:

BigBasil
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wndAzVq/]
[/url]

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...
BigBasil

Re: Fifty and Fat

Postby Jayney81 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Hey Basil!

Good on you for making the decision to get healthy! I too am new on here, but have found everyone to be very encouraging!

Good luck with your journey, and keep us updated!

Cheers,

Jayney :D
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Online Calorie Counter
Jayney81

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:11 pm

To quote yourself:

"Well, what could I say that you haven't heard before? Perhaps at the age of 43 you should just look at size 18 and accept it. So long as you have a good heart, your cholesterol levels are within range and your diabetic levels haven't peeked, then I would suggest that since you have spent most of your life fighting it and feeling miserable, accept it and just stay healthy.

Would this be so bad?"

It would seem that since you believe that others should just accept their weight at age 43, then perhaps you could do the same at 50?

Although since you joined this forum, I'm assuming you don't want to just "accept" your weight and you'd like to lose weight too.
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Gordz » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:04 pm

i noticed that too... I think he's too ashamed to come back. Hell, I would be too.

I like peter griffen less now. damn him.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Shalimar » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:51 am

I actually got a giggle out of some of Basils posts :wink: . Perhaps it's just my warped sence of humour but it does take quite a bit to get a giggle out of me.

Disclaimer; this is not to say I agreed with everything he said, it was just a couple of comments that made me snicker :P .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Gordz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:38 am

Username:
BigBasil
Carer, Superhero(retired), Fighter of Dragons, Mercenary, part time censored machine and one of the best guys you will ever meet.
Interests:
Computing, games, swinging, movie critic.

that had me laughing my arse off... it all makes sense now dunnit?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby BigBasil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:41 am

Well, we are now into February and according to the scales I have lost a whole 3 kg. Wow. After running, cycling, swimming my ass off for the past 6 weeks as well as not snacking and drinks enough water to refill the Murray Basin, I have achieved a lousy 3 kg. Now I watched the Biggest Loser last night and the 56yo after 1 week lost 12kg. OK. What the hell am I doing wrong? What the hell did he do to lose that much in a bloody week? Eggs? C'mon, eggs? Now nothwithstanding having a limb cut off or liposuction, how could a 56yo lose that much in one week? Even the least amount of weight I believe was 3kg in a week. If I averaged 3kg a week I would be 18kg lighter since I started.

I think Biggest Loser has a lot to answer for in the weight loss community because if they can do it we all can according to them. Perhaps if I went to Port Douglas and stayed in a 5 star hotel and just ate eggs and filled buckets of water I too could lose 12kg in a week. I hardly thinks so.

Does it mean that eggs and a holiday resort are good for you or does that mean they have been eating so much censored and sitting on their asses all the time that their bodies are now in shock and they have censored themselves to fast weightloss?

Only next weeks episode will tell.

BigBasil :evil:
BigBasil

Postby mumnbub » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:05 am

The biggest loser is completely unrealistic- all they have to do there is exercise and there is no option to eat junk. Plus you see them vomiting from exercising to much which is really not a good way to lose weight. Besides, you lose that much weight in a short period of time and your skin has not chance of shrinking so it will just sag and look horrible. They also have medical personal on hand for when they hurt themselves- which they do. Nothing they do is realistic and it should not be used as a basis for what you can achieve- no one can do that in the real world, even if you are seeing a personal trainer and eating a perfect diet you still wont lose that much- not unless your personal trainer pushes you to the point where you have to vomit and then makes you get back up and keep going most of the day! and really, who wants to do that! I recon part of their weight loss is just from the vomiting every day, whats the difference between that and those with eating disorders who purge daily to make themselves thin?

A healthy weight loss is between 500g and 1kg so after 6 weeks to have lost 3kg is still withing the heathy weight range and is still something to be proud of. If you do want to increase this and still stay in a healthy range then have a closer look at your calorie intake- check out calorieking.com.au - you might still be eating a bit to much so maybe cut out 50cal per day to see how that goes. It can take time to get the balance right and you are still only in the early stages.

Have you been measuring yourself- I looked at my progress this morning and was disapointed to see 3.3kg since November but in that same period have lost 10cm off my hips! That made up for it.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby BigBasil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:42 am

Hi,
Just an amendment to my posts. I went to the doctors for a full checkup and blood test. If she wanted a blood, stool and semen test I would have just left my undies, but I thought I would get just the blood test. :D
Anyway, the results are in. For those who wish to know:
BP 128/80
Nothing, repeat nothing is high. Sugar levels are normal, as are cholesterol, kidney, liver, thyroid and all other major organs. I did the COPD test(I have smoked for over 30 years) and according to the test done at St. Vincents in Sydney, I have the equivilant lungs of a 30yo(go figure) and my lung capacity is normal for a person my age/height. :?:
Now, even though I am according to all the tests 'normal', it has to beg the question why I am not losing weight. I have a mother who was on the large side and my father is on the skinny side. Now she has battled weight all of her life and she is in her 70's now and still battling, while dad is also in his 70's and never battled. Now mum had 5 kids(plus an adopted, but I cannot include her because of genetics), and I am the oldest. I am probably the fattest, yet my next brother who is 2 years younger(to the day) is around my height and only 82kg. The next brother similar and my youngest brother also relatively slim, though he has gainded a few k's from lack of exercise, to which I dont think he would have to much problems if he wanted to drop. Now this leaves my youngest sister who is coincidently 4 years younger than my youngest brother(to the day)(guess mum and dad were very ritualistic) and she has been fighting a losing battle with weight all of her life.

Surely, somewhere in there a tiny little DNA element yet to be discovered that both myself and my sister share comes from mum while the others inherited dads gene sequence that stops them from weight gain?
Who knows, maybe not in my lifetime, but someone one day will crack the elusive DNA strand that turns off and on human motabylism that controls weight gain and we can all then stuff ourselves with junk food and pop a pill that will ensure that we wont gain weight.
Just think what a world that would be like.....

BigBasil :x
BigBasil

Postby mumnbub » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:17 am

BigBasil wrote:Hi,

Who knows, maybe not in my lifetime, but someone one day will crack the elusive DNA strand that turns off and on human motabylism that controls weight gain and we can all then stuff ourselves with junk food and pop a pill that will ensure that we wont gain weight.
Just think what a world that would be like.....

BigBasil :x

Have you read "The Gabriel Method"? It is a very interesting read and makes a lot of sence, he explains why some people are fat and others are skinny and its not because they are lazy. It works by making your body want to be thin, there is more to it then just a person wanting to lose weight. I recommend having a read- I think you will benefit from it- you can pick it up at the library if you dont want to buy a copy.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:21 am

Hi Basil

Im 45 , male, and weighed 126 kilos before Xmas.

I currently weigh 110.

Are you sure ur being strict enough with what u eat?

When i decided - or rather the doc decided - I had to lose weight I cut out ALL red meat, ALL potatoes and ALL bread to start with - also no sweets,cake,biscuits. This was probably about 90% of my intake lol. I started eating loads of salad, different types of beans and fruits. Bloody murder the first few days - thought i was dying , think it was probly a detox kinda thing.

I have only just started exercising again - so the weight loss has been all down to diet.
Rams75

Postby Gordz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:35 am

bloody hell... good going rams! What you going to do exercise wise? Melbourne?
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Cheers Gordz

Just started back on a run/walk programme last week. Walk a minute run a minute then walk a minute run 2 minutes type thing and managed to run - well stumble and stagger - for 20 mins non stop today!!
Rams75

Postby BigBasil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:36 pm

Rams75 wrote:Hi Basil

Im 45 , male, and weighed 126 kilos before Xmas.

I currently weigh 110.

Are you sure ur being strict enough with what u eat?

When i decided - or rather the doc decided - I had to lose weight I cut out ALL red meat, ALL potatoes and ALL bread to start with - also no sweets,cake,biscuits. This was probably about 90% of my intake lol. I started eating loads of salad, different types of beans and fruits. Bloody murder the first few days - thought i was dying , think it was probly a detox kinda thing.

I have only just started exercising again - so the weight loss has been all down to diet.

Wow, no red meat, no potatoes and no bread. I suppose spending the rest of my life imitating a rabbit would make me loose weight, but then, what fun in life would there be? I have been exercising everyday, alternating between cycling, swimming and jogging. I even have long sessions of censored to see if that helps(well, it doesnt hurt :D) and it seems to make no difference. I also noticed that the other night I got a stitch while I was popping the mrs, something I dont get while exercising, weird. :shock:

Somewhere there has to be a balance, where I can minimise what I eat without beoming a vegetarian(ewww) where I can become a slim sexy male :cry: without all of this crap.

Have fun
BigBasil
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wndAzVq/]
[/url]

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...
BigBasil

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Somewhere there has to be a balance, where I can minimise what I eat without beoming a vegetarian(ewww) where I can become a slim sexy male without all of this crap

How long will it take you to find the balance?

Its all down to choices Basil.

I chose to give up red meat, bread and spuds and lose 16kg.

You choose to eat red meat,bread and spuds and lost 3kg.

Difficult choice eh?

Im sure there are many other factors involved but to my mind u either want to lose weight or u dont. If u do it involves sacrifice. I dont intend to eat this way the rest of my life. I will certainly eat much healthier for the rest of my life and when I reach a weight I decide is right I will SLOWLY introduce these things back into my diet. BUT if i see weight gains from eating them every week I will cut back to every two weeks and if that doesnt work every month. That is how u will find the balance. Cut em out altogether - lose the weight - then gradually reintroduce whilst monitoring the weight.

To chose vernacular u seem to be familiar with Basil

Its time to sh1t or get off the pot.

Good luck
Rams75

Next

Return to Weekly Weigh In