It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:41 am

Free Newsletter

Fifty and Fat

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fifty and Fat

Postby BigBasil » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, the reseach shows I am an 'Endomorph' :shock:
It means my body type is a person who is large framed with big bones and tends to put on weight fairly easily. (Go GOOGLE it if youre not sure what that is.

On the down side, I put on weight easily and have great difficulty taking it off. On the plus side, I have enormous energy reserves and great strength. I have found that I should instead of doing running, cycling and swimming I should do weights and some form of weight training. So today I put my 10kg weights into a knapsack and walked 3ks,of which 1.5k was uphill. And drank plenty of water.

I will increase this method for a week and see what the results are.

Will keep you posted.

BigBasil
PS, I found also that my body type tends also to retain water in water fat cells. I remember when I was younger that I took some tablets that were for water retention. I will get some tomorrow and take those as well. :mrgreen:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wndAzVq/]
[/url]

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...
BigBasil

Postby Rams75 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:35 pm

I understand what an endomorph is Basil - I am one too.

Have you considered eating less salt to help with with water retention ?

I really do wish you the best of luck - we are all after the same thing and there are many different ways to get there.
Rams75

Postby Rams75 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:19 pm

Hows it goin Baz?

You bein a good boy?
Rams75

Postby BigBasil » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:20 am

Hi,
Well, Last week I went on Monday and did 3k walk(1.5 uphill) with a 10kg packpack. Tuesday I increased it to 4k(2k uphill) with the 10kg backpack. Wednesday did the same as Tuesday. Thursday I rode into town(walked the bike in first cause of a flat rear tyre, about 2k) and Friday went for 2k uphill bike ride. Saturday I just did a 5k bike ride to town and back. I had a few shotglasses of rum on Saturday night and indulged myself with a 220g paket of salt and vineagar chips on Sunday to which I had the day off. 8)
Today I got on the scales and found in the last week I have lost nothing and in fact gaind 200g. Must have been those chips. Wow, all that sweating and aching for nothing. I got the mrs to do my measuremets though and found(unless she got it wrong last week :?: ) that I have increased my chest size to 120cm up 3cm from 117cm and my waist has dropped from 120cm to 114cm. I think she measured wrong last week. Now I kept my measurements from January last year and my stats are all over the place.
    Body part Last year January 2009 Today
    Chest 122 127 120
    Waist 124 126 114
    Hips 123 126 123
    Weight 124k 130.2k 127.6k
:evil:

So, no weight loss this week, but the gut is tightening up. Seems I have more stamina as well. :mrgreen: I just annoys me that I bust my ass and cannot loose weight. I see that guy on the biggest looser lose another 7kg in a week. 20kg in 2 weeks, aww, c'mon. If that was my weight loss I could give up now and be happy, well, maybe 1 more week of exercise for another 10kg just to be sure, but no, this sucker has to sweat it off for God knows how long to reach the near impossible task of getting to 100kg.
Maybe I am just to old to do it alone.

Disheartened
BigBasil :oops:
[/url]

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...
BigBasil

Postby Rams75 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:49 am

Dont despair Baz.

Firstly your exercise.

How long does a 5k bike ride take. Are you saying 5k in to town and 5k back or 5k total?

If you are looking to lose weight exercise really needs to be a 20 minute minimum for the aerobic effect to kick in. The more u manage over the 20 mins the better - within reason - because once uv reached the 20 mins ur body really starts working. There are various studies I could quote to support this. Its a bit like setting up a machine in a factory - the 20 mins is akin to the set up time b4 u actually start producing the goods if u like.

Secondly your food. You have told us of ur treats but what are u eating the rest of the time and how much of it?

Stick with it Baz - its just finding the right formula for you.
Rams75

Postby BigBasil » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Hi,
The total is 5k. 2 1/2k each way, up and downhill. As for food, breakfast usually consists of 3 weetbix, brown sugar and a glasss of OJ. Lunch has been a slice of ham on bread with swiss cheese slice and tomato toasted. Dinner is usuall 1 spud(medium) in a variety of ways, some meat(sausages, steak, lamb or whatever(always grilled, never fried)), sometime spagetti, chili con carne, eggs in a soufloua. No fast food except on a treat if we travel to Young. Around 4-6 glasses of water per day. I have estimated around 1500-2000 calories per day. Exercise is limited to 20 mins as prescribed by my doctor.

Thats the stats

BigBasil
PS, I have just started jogging 2 k a day. 1k up, 1 k downhill. Heartrate at the end of the kilometer is around 142 BPM.
BigBasil

Postby Gordz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:32 pm

excercise for the first 20 minutes of a workout is purely burning off sugar, no fat. sucks that your doc has said no to more exercise.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby BigBasil » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:05 am

BigBasil wrote:
Rams75 wrote:Hi Basil

Im 45 , male, and weighed 126 kilos before Xmas.

I currently weigh 110.

Are you sure ur being strict enough with what u eat?

When i decided - or rather the doc decided - I had to lose weight I cut out ALL red meat, ALL potatoes and ALL bread to start with - also no sweets,cake,biscuits. This was probably about 90% of my intake lol. I started eating loads of salad, different types of beans and fruits. Bloody murder the first few days - thought i was dying , think it was probly a detox kinda thing.

I have only just started exercising again - so the weight loss has been all down to diet.

I have been doing considerable research into this and have found out about that nasty hormone called 'insulin' Very necessary for the breakdown of food, however, with a diet high in cabohydrates, causes a person to actually gain weight regardless of exercise. Now it has been noted that people with a diet high in carbs and low in protien tend to gain weight, but what is it that can cause the body to fix this problem? Well, I think and am going to try using my meat and potato diet, however, with one noticible change. Instead of potato, veggies and sausages for a meal, have potatoes in the morning, sausages for lunch(or any other meat) and veggies for dinner. Now essentially its the same meal I would have at night, however, due to the high carbs in potatoes, the insulin level would rise for the whole meal thereby making my body process all of the meal as if it was only potatoes. This new method should, in therory, only produce a higher level of insulin when I eat potatoes(preferrably for breakfast).

Keep you posted.

BigBasil
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Rams75 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Good on ya Baz.

Im still trying to get my head round why ur not losing weight on that amount of calories.

Stick with it.
Rams75

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 pm

You're right that insulin resistance can make you gain weight. However if you believe you are insulin resistant I don't think provoking insulin spikes would be the best method of kick-starting your weight loss. I strongly recommend talking to your GP and a dietitian first. Insulin resistance doesn't just lead to weight gain, it's also a precursor for type 2 diabetes so it's not something you want to experiment with without qualified medical supervision.

If you want to avoid insulin spikes there are ways to go about it without dramatically altering your diet. You can lower the GI of potatoes by allowing them to cool before eating them. This makes them medium GI rather than high GI so their effect on the blood sugar isn't quite so large. Or you can use tinned new potatoes instead. They are the lowest in GI of 'regular' potatoes. Better still, switch to sweet potatoes. They are far lower in GI than regular potatoes so you won't get the same sugar rush and insulin spike.

If you really think you are insulin resistant please, please talk to your GP. I don't know if you have a family history of diabetes or if you've been tested for it before, but your health is far more important than quick weight loss.

Good luck!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby BigBasil » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:16 am

Rams75 wrote:Good on ya Baz.

Im still trying to get my head round why ur not losing weight on that amount of calories.

Stick with it.

Hi,
You think? Try exercising everyday, sweating like a pig, watching everything you eat, drinking a lot of water(I dont like water by itself) and step on the scales every week to see nothing change it is very disheartening. I have however in the past week managed to drop 1 kg. I am still waiting to see if it is a weight fluctuation or genuine weight loss. I am giving this another month and if I dont see much change by the end of March, I will resign myself to being 50 and fat and that will be that.

BigBasil
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Gordz » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:28 pm

BigBasil wrote:Hi,
Well, what could I say that you havent heard before? Perhaps at the age of 43 you should just look at size 18 and accept it. So long as you have a good heart, your cholesterol levels are within range and your diabetic levels havent peeked, then I would suggest that since you have spent most of your life fighting it and feeling miserable, accept it and just stay healthy.

Would this be so bad?

BigBasil :roll:

:roll:
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby BigBasil » Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:28 pm

Gordz wrote:
BigBasil wrote:Hi,
Well, what could I say that you havent heard before? Perhaps at the age of 43 you should just look at size 18 and accept it. So long as you have a good heart, your cholesterol levels are within range and your diabetic levels havent peeked, then I would suggest that since you have spent most of your life fighting it and feeling miserable, accept it and just stay healthy.

Would this be so bad?

BigBasil :roll:

:roll:

Touche
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Ally147 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Hi there...

I just want to say, that weightloss does not happen over night! And if u keep comparing yourself to the contestants on the biggest loser then you are going to continue to be disheartened. For the last 3 weeks i've lost nothing, and when i do lose something its like 100-200g but im still goin... trying to stay positive..

Positivity and motivation are the key. Ur exercise sounds good, i also suggest doing squats and lunges, they are great for calorie burning.

Anyway thats my say!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wIbKc5e/]
[/url]
Ally147

Postby BigBasil » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:41 am

Hi,
Well, I had my 50th birthday party on the weekend. Now I weighed myself last monday(every monday morning) and clocked in at 126.6kg, having lost a whole 4kg in nearly 2 months. So this morning I step on the scales and guess what? I have gained nearly 2kg in a week. 128.8kg. I am almost right where I started from 2 months ago.
So my idea for a birthday is to stop this ridiculous exercising and watching what I eat. I am healthy according to the doctor, so why should I bust my ass with this running and cycling and swimming that really achieves nothing for me.

It only works on TV or something like Jenny Craig.

BigBasil
BigBasil

PreviousNext

Return to Weekly Weigh In