It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:22 am

Free Newsletter

Fifty and Fat

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Fifty and Fat

Postby Jisgone » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:28 pm

As you said...

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...

If you want to lose weight make it happen. Dont drink shots of rum and eat 220gram packets of chips then wonder why you dont lose weight, its obvious isnt it? ask anyone of the members of this site if they would expect to lose weight while eating like that and the answer will be a resounding no. Losing weight doesnt need to be done the biggest loser way, if you control your diet and exercise you will lose weight. If you blame everything but yourself for not losing weight your going to get no where so take a bit of control of your life stop complaining about not losing 12 kilos a week and lose some weight. Saying no to the shortbread biscuits, shots of booze and massive packets of chips isnt that huge a loss, but in the long run if you cant be stuffed doing it you wont lose weight and youll be one of those people watching other people are losing and wondering what happened.
Jisgone

Postby BigBasil » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:45 am

Jewles wrote:As you said...

There are those that make things happen, there are those who watch things happen and then there are those who wonder what happened...

If you want to lose weight make it happen. Dont drink shots of rum and eat 220gram packets of chips then wonder why you dont lose weight, its obvious isnt it? ask anyone of the members of this site if they would expect to lose weight while eating like that and the answer will be a resounding no. Losing weight doesnt need to be done the biggest loser way, if you control your diet and exercise you will lose weight. If you blame everything but yourself for not losing weight your going to get no where so take a bit of control of your life stop complaining about not losing 12 kilos a week and lose some weight. Saying no to the shortbread biscuits, shots of booze and massive packets of chips isnt that huge a loss, but in the long run if you cant be stuffed doing it you wont lose weight and youll be one of those people watching other people are losing and wondering what happened.

Very well Jewles, but I wish to point out that this 2.5 kg weight increase happened over a 2 day period - and it was my 50th birthday. The point I was trying to make is that am I condemned to never again eating anything other than 'good stuff' for fear of gaining an instant 1kg per day? Can I never drink again? Is it so dangerous that if I inhale the vapours of shortbread bikkies I will gain 500 gm? Dare I ever walk past a bakery and should my eyes gaze upon a jam doughnot I immediately gain 250gms?

Yes, I have heard it all before, exercise regularly, dont eat junk food, eat 4 small meals a day and drink plenty of water, but come on, how can anyone explain (even you doctors) how a person could gain 2.5kg in 2 days after dieting and exercising every day for the previous 2 months? Now if you include vigorous censored as exercise, I was very vigorous on Saturday night - I know my heart rate got to over 150 bpm and Sunday was a little more sedate. I did however have bacon and eggs for breakfast that day.

Anyway, I checked the scales thismorning and I have lost 800gms. Could be due to the 8k bike ride yesterday. I still have at least one goalL- I got a present of a joyflight in a Tiger Moth over the Hunter Valley but I need to be 125kg, so its back to the drawing board again.

Cheers
BigBasil
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wndAzVq/]
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Shalimar » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:05 am

BigBasil wrote:
Jewles wrote:As you said...

Very well Jewles, but I wish to point out that this 2.5 kg weight increase happened over a 2 day period - and it was my 50th birthday. The point I was trying to make is that am I condemned to never again eating anything other than 'good stuff' for fear of gaining an instant 1kg per day? Can I never drink again? Is it so dangerous that if I inhale the vapours of shortbread bikkies I will gain 500 gm? Dare I ever walk past a bakery and should my eyes gaze upon a jam doughnot I immediately gain 250gms?
Cheers
BigBasil

If the weight went on over a period of a couple of days you'll probably find it is a combo of sodium and fluid, thus making the "gain" temporary.
That's how it works for me anyway.

Good luck.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Jisgone » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:28 am

Exactly what shalimar said, you dont gain 2.5kgs or pure fat in 2 days, your body fluctuates massively every day depending on what youve eaten, when youve been to the toilet, how much sodium youve had and all sorts of things. Thats why most dieticians recommend only weighing monthly (i know its impossible, i still do it weekly!) maybe if you stopped concentrating on the scales for a few weeks and just got into it you would stop feeling like it wasnt working and start losing again?
Jisgone

Postby Mandie » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:49 am

As what has been said - it's fluid, food - different foods get digested differently and at different times. Also different scales - no scales are 100% accurate, in fact most GOOD scales have a 10% inaccuracy.. so when you are larger, 10% can be over a kilO!

The most accurate way to measure weight loss is fat % (a trainer, dietician, doctor can use calipers to measure this) and measurements (especially waist circumference). Daily weighing is DISCOURAGED because people get falsely excited/downhearted with the day to day fluctuations. If you must weigh, you are better off doing it once per week.

With the regime of calories and exercise you were on, you will lose weight - you just need to be patient and keep at it. Your heart will be healthier too, from the exercise. So I highly recommend you KEEP GOING and chuck the scales away - buy a measuring tape instead - and you will be pleasantly surprised at your results!
Mandie

Postby JamesSmith » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:56 pm

Its really difficult for you but not impossible. You can gain your goal doing hard work.
Last edited by Shalimar on Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising removed.
JamesSmith

Postby BigBasil » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:56 am

Still trying
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby BigBasil » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:19 pm

Weighing in tomorrow after 3 weeks away, I think I am fat again
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Shalimar » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:48 am

Good luck BB :D .

Shalimar

Postby BigBasil » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:34 pm

Well, I have been sick with a viral chest infection for the past few weeks, and travelled to Queensland, so I havent been eating properly. Also, this week I had 1/2 a pizza(yummy meat lovers) and a can of coke and 1/2 a litre of milk(anchovies make me thirsty), and I put on 800gms, however, weighing myself thismorning, I had lost it again and more. Now down to 124kg, so I have lost 6.2 kg since January. I have also reduced my waist from 116cm to 112cm in that time, but I still got a big chest and a fat ass.

FYI

BigBasil
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Shalimar » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:56 am

Well done BB, these things do take time :D . As you have found out it pays to be patient.

Shalimar

Postby BigBasil » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Well, it has been a few months since I have posted anything. Life still goes on regardless if you are trying to loose weight. I have dropped another 2kg since my last post. Ohhhh, how the weight is coming off sooooo slowly, but it is coming off none the less. My wife bought a Wii games console and fitness console, which monitors weight and BMI(I am grossly obese), but I am doing some of the exercises on it and having fun doing it. Best way to stay indoors and exercise.

Anyway, I am still around, unlike my friend who is dying of liver cancer. He lost weight rapidly, and at 56, you know what that would do to you :cry:

Laters
Big Basil
[/url]

BigBasil

Postby Shalimar » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:30 pm

Good on you BB, keep plugging away :) .

Shalimar

Previous

Return to Weekly Weigh In