It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Free Newsletter

A Beginner in the real world.

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

A Beginner in the real world.

Postby tecky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:07 pm

Hey Guys and Gals,
Its very encouraging to see real people supporting each other here. I weigh 70kg and i am hoping to lose 15kg. Its very discouraging in a world where people judge you on how you look, Ive been trying for so long but after a few days, i give up and just binge on junk food. Hopefully I can keep at it because I know I can. Thanks for reading this.

20NOVEMBER2011 - 70kg. Next weigh in 28th November 2011
tecky

Re: A Beginner in the real world.

Postby CronicBadger » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum, Tecky.

Giving up too early is a common occurrence. Whatever you have been doing, don't try again. Do something different.

There are as many reasons for weight-loss failure as there are people. But if you can find out WHY you gave up then the problem can be addressed or at least eased so that it can be overcome.

Perhaps your change in diet is too drastic and your body rebels, causing junk-food cravings? Maybe you should ease into it instead.

Perhaps it is just a matter of perspective: After years of going on diets for days, weeks or a few months and then failing, I discovered something suitable and easy for my own personality - I just copied the diet and lifestyle of a healthy thin person; the reason being that if I change myself mentally, the physical side of me will have no option but to reform itself around the new me. I can fail at dieting, but I CAN'T fail at being me.

There are plenty of articles on the main website attached to this forum that offer tips and advice on maintaining focus on weight-loss; check them out.

I hope to see you around. Keep focused on your goal, Tecky, and don't take it lightly. It's important because your actions now will have an affect on your future life.
CronicBadger

Postby wants2loseWEIGHT » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:12 pm

I joined this forum because I want to be motivated and inspired. Let's not lose hope easily my dear. We all can do it. Believe we can. :)
To lose weight is to change your lifestyle to a healthy one - Marga

01/11/2011 = 102 kg
06/02/2012 = 93 kg
26/03/2012=91 kg
16/04/2012=88.4 kg
01/05/2012=85.1 kg
17/06/2012=78.1 kg
01/07/2012=76 kg
22/07/2012=72.5 kg
20/08/2012=68.5 kg
03/09/2012=67.8 kg
30/09/2012=66.1 kg
30/10/2012=64.9 kg
30/11/2012=62.1 kg
09/12/2012=62.2 kg
23/12/2012=61.9 kg
05/01/2013=62 kg
24/02/2013=59.9 kg
wants2loseWEIGHT

Postby tecky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:13 pm

Hey guys, Thank you for your support. It means a lot to me, you have no idea how much. I guess sometimes when you think about it short-term, you cant see any immediate results so it brings you down but i know otherwise :) as for eating junk food, sometimes it just tastes good...still a tad hard and fighting the cravings, sometimes winning sometimes not, but all in all still getting there. Thank you so much for the encouragement and SUPPORT! Wish i could do something for you guys in return.

week 1: 70kg
week 2: 68kg

Tecky
tecky

Postby tecky » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:59 pm

actually, I just had a bunch of junk food! Ugh, :( sometimes I just dont know when to stop! i think this is my problem. I do this then i think 'ah theres no use'. But the support has been amazing. Thanks heaps!
tecky

Postby CronicBadger » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:00 pm

Tecky, the best solution is not to start at all, otherwise you'll start telling yourself stuff like, "Oh, the damage is done, so I might as well go all the way..." and it will snowball.

However, you CAN form a new habit - resisting junk food. Experts say that a person needs to do something regularly for three or four weeks for it to become a habit. If you can resist junk food for that time then it will become much easier with time.

You might wish try a few of the mental tricks I developed in oder to break my junk food habit, which included biscuits, hot pies and pastries, cakes and those little mini-pizzas from the bakeries, etc:

What I'd do would be to hold a biscuit or cake in my hand for a few minutes and imagine all the saturated fat from it coursing through my veins. As I did this I looked past my skin into the flesh and organs beneath, trying to visualise the ingested fat as small but thick yellow lumps of lard that would gradually start clotting. Then I'd imagine, just under my chest, lumps of fat sticking to the walls of the arteries around my heart, just inches away from where I held the cake in my hand. I then imagined the pain of a heart attack and, in my final desperate breaths, the regret I would have of leading an unhealthy life and dying needlessly.

There were all sorts of variations of this mental trick I would try:
* Imagining the sugar from cakes coursing through my veins and poisoning my pancreas and liver and then suffering from diabetes and the shortened and lower quality life that illness often brings.

* Visualising the years of future regret that would result from my failure to become healthy now.

If I DID catch myself inadvertently removing a biscuit or cake from one of their numerous breeding colonies in the cupboard or fridge, I would stop it from reaching my gaping maw then calmly, slowly, deliberately drop it into the nearest garbage bin. Junk food IS junk and should be treated as such.

Eventually I formed a habit of refusing junk food as anything except a rare treat on special occasions. This is a huge change from my old self - a guts who would eat anything he saw without hesitation.

I hope the above gives you a few ideas and some inspiration.
CronicBadger

Postby tecky » Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:57 pm

Hey :) thanks for the tips! It really helps and knowing that there is support. Actually joining this forum alone is pretty motivating I have to say so Thank you. So this week had some junk but not overly, managed to get exercise in daily though :)
Weigh in today - 66kg. 1 less than last week :)
tecky

Return to Weekly Weigh In