It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:16 am

Free Newsletter

Rach taking control!!

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Rach taking control!!

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi all

Time for me to jump on the weigh in wagon!

My journey to that chubby person I am now hasn't really been that long compared to some. Probably 10 years or so with ups and downs. I'm now 41. I always thought of myself as over weight or never really appreciated how slim I was, until now when I realise how much work I've created for myself to get back to that weight. Kidding myself that I was happy fat and that going up another dress size didnt bother me ... Yeah right! I just got so very uncomfortable! I avoided the weighing scales for about 4 years, and even when I went to the doctors about 18 months ago to help me lose weight, I still wouldn't let them tell me my weight! Talk about putting your head in the sand!

I used the excuse that I couldn't exercise or diet because I had a thyroid condition (I have no thyroid!!) and I deal with anxiety on a daily basis, but seriously that's bull crap! I can lose weight because I have in the past, and likewise I can exercise because I have in the past!

6 weeks ago I decided that enough was enough and it was time for me to take control! For the first time in 4 years I dusted off the scales and jumped on! I had prepared myself for beings in the 90s but it was only just! 99.6 kgs is the number that rang out to me ... But not for long!!

I'm not very good at planning food and if I'm honest just thinking about planning food bores me silly! I literally have no interest in it. People think that's crazy and assume the opposite, but its this reason that I've put on the weight! I'm a grazer and I will grab and eat whatever is available in the fridge ... The less preparation the better, which invariably means lots of processed food!

Based on my lack of planning I decided to let Lite N Easy help me out. Best decision I have made in a long time! I love the food and I love even more that I don't have to think about it. 6 weeks down the line I have lost 7.1kgs taking me down to 92.5kgs which I'm over the moon! My weigh ins are in my signature, and my next weigh in is tomorrow morning!

I have increased my exercise but I'm not doing a dramatic amount ... I'm trying to ensure I don't get into something that I will give up on in the short term. I now walk about 45 mins daily with a friend and love it! It doesn't feel like exercise and I actually look forward to it!

Looking forward to the support I know this forum will offer me!! :)
SW - 99.6 (4th Sept 2012)
CW - 79 (15th March 2013)
GW - 70 ( or a comfortable size 12!!)
Ty-Gwyn

Re: Rach taking control!!

Postby ganymede » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Good on you, Rach! That is a remarkable loss so far :mrgreen:

Look forward to your result tomorrow :)
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Thanks Shelley ... Full of nervous anticipation for tomorrow!!

Wearing some jeans today which a few weeks ago felt like they were cutting me in half ... Today they're positively loose!! Feels gooooood!! :)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:34 am

Not a huge loss today but a loss all the same!! My new weight is 91.9 kgs taking me down another 600g! :)

All going in the right direction!! :)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:51 am

More importantly my BMI has gone from 34.4 to 31.7 in just 7 weeks! Awesome!!
Ty-Gwyn

Postby ganymede » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:45 am

Woohooooooo! A loss is a loss, Rach and a good one at that :D And taking that much off your BMI is an awesome achievement! Let's make this week an awesome week!
- Shelley

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:07 am

Thanks Shell!

Looking forward to your weigh in on Thursday! Did you have a 'good' weekend? :)

I'm feeling a bit 'blah' today - just wanna go back to bed but am about to get my walking shoes on to wake me up!! :)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby ganymede » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:58 am

Ty-Gwyn wrote:Thanks Shell!

Looking forward to your weigh in on Thursday! Did you have a 'good' weekend? :)

I'm feeling a bit 'blah' today - just wanna go back to bed but am about to get my walking shoes on to wake me up!! :)

I sure did! :) Kept to my Lite n Easy, didn't have anything extra! I sort of see it as a no option type of thing, that I can't have extras because I've already got all my food ready and planned. It's great! :) So far I have walked everyday except Saturday because I worked all day. Will see what the scales say on Thursday ;)
- Shelley

ganymede

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:27 pm

Yup thats exactly the way I feel about it too - no questions ... thats my food and thats it!

Saturdays and Sundays I have been switching the evening meal to eat with the family - usually just fish or chicken with boiled potatoes and salad ... this is to kind of ween me slowly into eating 'normal' food. Hubby likes that too because it means there are Lite N Easy meals left over so he takes them to work during the week! :)
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Blitz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Good work. Don't worry about the number being smaller than you wanted. I found that usually the week after makes up for it by being better. Just keep grinding it out.

I love your first post. Getting rid of the excuses and getting honest. I cheered when I read that post.

How we enjoy playing the victim. Time and time again people tell me that they want to lose weight but in the next breath explain that its harder for them because...insert excuses of various shapes and forms. :roll: We've all got something that we can find that will justify why we can't lose weight. But we need to get real with ourselves. I say to them that if I as an asthmatic older person with a hernia poking out of my gut the size of my fist can do it, then anyone can do it. People try to put me on some sort of pedestal by telling me that I've got amazing will power that they haven't. Nonsense! If I had such will power I wouldn't have gotten myself so fat in the first place!

On the last series of Australia's Biggest Loser was a great example of someone getting real. Remember Alex? One week he was right up against it. Failing to get immunity in a food challenge, general health very poor and his leg is so bad that he can't train like the others. What does he do? Use these excuses to dive out of the competition? No, he digs in and does what he can. While laying on his bed he is working hand weights like his life depended on it (it really was). He pulled off the required weight loss for that week against the odds and lived on.

Your head is in the right place. Now all you have to is get that body in the right shape. Go for it! :D

Regards
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: Keeping it off for life!
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Agree with you 100% Kim ... The only legitimate reason for us not losing weight is our thinking and our choices! We make that choice to eat badly and to not exercise and the result is obesity (in many cases).

Your weight loss is inspirational ... How long have you been maintaining now? Brilliant!
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Blitz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:57 pm

It's been 8 months since I reached my goal. I always knew this was going to be a two part process. Losing the weight and then keeping it off for life.

Keeping it off hasn't been as hard as I thought. Roughly it's just a continuation of lifestyle learnt while losing the weight. The only thing different is there isn't that finishing line mentality. It's always the same. I have a small weight range that I travel in. Always striving to stay on the lower side and NEVER going over.

My body is settling down. When I reached goal I had no bottom. Now it has returned (needless to say not to it's former huge glory :lol: ). My body has "evened out". Not the extremes of fatness and skinny. Still got huge amounts of loose skin. The legacy of a mis-spent adulthood, and a reminder never to go back!

In June I had my hernia fixed and they also trimmed some loose skin from my stomach at the same time. Because of the hernia, the operation was essentially free. It wasn't a tummy tuck more like a stomach slash. Not pretty. Lost about 2 to 3 kilos of loose skin and my belly button! I thought that during recovery I would put on some weight which I would have to shift off. It turned out that I lost weight.

In July my father died. Yet my weight remained steady during this stressful time. I'm confident that I'll be keeping it off for life with the trials I have endured since goal.

Regards
Kim
Blitz

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:24 pm

You really are inspirational!! I could read stories like yours all day everyday ... Amazing!

So sorry to hear you lost your dad ... Very pleased to hear that you didn't head to the fridge in that time of stress though!

I didn't realize how much of an emotional eater I was until I was on my last diet (the one where I wouldn't let the doctor tell me my weight!!) and when anxiety hit I found myself in the fridge! I'd never noticed before because I just fed my anxiety and didn't see the connection at all! I mentioned this to the doctor and she said most people struggle with their emotions more than anything else when dieting. I guess it means there's no more hiding! My anxiety went through the roof last time, but not this time ... I'm being honest with myself and my body and I will not let a bit of anxiety turn into FAT!!!
Ty-Gwyn

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:19 am

I didn't need stress or emotions to motivate me to feed my face. It was good old gluttony and sloth that KOed me.

"No more hiding" - that's precisely it. Getting real and being accountable is the key to success.

I was reading online the other day someone's success story and their top tips for weight loss. The first tip she wrote was "to use your gob". What she meant by that was to tell everybody that you are losing weight and how you are doing. Basically making yourself accountable. Its hard but it really does help keep you on the straight and narrow.

Regards
Kim
Blitz

Postby Ty-Gwyn » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:57 am

Interesting! I always try to keep my diet quiet because I don't want the pressure of people asking me how its going ... hmmmm ... something to think about!
Ty-Gwyn

Next

Return to Weekly Weigh In