It is currently Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:48 am

Free Newsletter

Feebeejay's weigh in

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Feebeejay's weigh in

Postby feebeejay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:20 pm

Hi all
i've been actively losing weight and on this forum since about September 2012 and have been using it as a bit of a tool to get and stay focussed, the support i've found on here has been fabulous, however, I did have a thread in Introdutions (new girl trying to get to the bottom of it all) but figure as I have reached my first mini goal of 10kg lost, that I can graduate to a new thread ... figured this was the best one to go with for now.

I originally weighed in at 120kg in September 2012 and I felt like I was about to burst! I am only 5 foot 1 inch, or 156cm - pretty short another words!! I was feeling so unhealthy. I have yo-yo'd for years (just turned 46) and just keep going up and up - I seriously wondered if there was any further I could go because I literally felt like I was going to burst! you know once I made the decision (with the doctors support and advice) I set my mind to it, and with the help of my fabulous iPad app where I can record goals, food, exercise, you name it everything, I just started getting on with it. and I achieved what I set out to do in only 12 weeks (well less actually, but then I stalled at christmas time...)

The goal was from 26 September 2012 at 120kg, to be 110kg by Christmas Day, 25 December. Only 3 months, 12 weeks, whichever way you want to look at it, and I had a pretty steady weight loss of around a kg per week until I got a bit cocky and started not being so vigilent about what I stuck through that hole in my head ... and then had to really pull out the stops to reach my goal in the last 2 weeks before christmas, but I did it!! in fact I had lost 11kg by christmas day, and was feeling pretty proud of myslef so I said yes to the odd chocky, the odd chippie, the odd rum ball, the odd glass of non alcoholic drink (which still has calories by the way...) and by new years eve I weighed in at 110.4kg. What THE????? far out Fiona, what on earth are you doing??? I hadn't learned a thing had I????so I decided to get back on the horse and try to be sensible ... which I was sort of doing. i went back to work on the 2nd of january - hoping that it would be easier once I got back to work, but it was so hard to concentrate on work and i went over my calories each day until the friday when the bushfires started in Tassie and our holiday home - the home that I shared with my children for almost 20 years - was under threat and in fact burned down by saturday morning ... stress helps to lose weight apparently!! back to 109kg!!

The house is completely destroyed and all of our possessions are now nothing but ash and debris, it is heart breaking to see it - and extremely difficult to determine what was there out of the ash, but we will get through it, and hopefully the insurance company will be kind to us and help us get back on our feet. We are looking for the positives that have come out of the bushfires and hopefully the added stress will help me kick start the next 10kg loss - well, I guess it already has in that i'm back to 109, so now I guess it's only 9kg ... and even though i've been saying it for a couple of weeks now, i'm really going to get my exercise bike out of the shed and go for it!!! i saw a new exercise bike the other day and it had this really wide seat on it which I thought would be way more comfortable - and is really the main reason I don't ride the bike more often - so maybe a new seat might be able to give me some comfort and motivation at the same time!! i've also been looking into hula hooping and pole dancing for weight loss (believe me, it would not be a pretty sight to watch me do either of these activities!!) but i'm trying to find something that is fun activity that doesn't 'feel' like exercise ... i'll keep you posted on that one.

my ultimate goal is somewhere past 100kg ... well, actually the next milestone will really be 97kg as that will be when I get to below 40 on the BMI scale, so that will be exciting ... I guess I'll just keep trying to take off 10kg at a time. I also took out iPad subscriptions for a couple of slimming magazines which will also help me to keep focussed (I'm hoping) even though they aren't aussie ones, the info is fairly non specific in terms of location, and calories are calories, well, or kilojoules ... but you know what I mean :)

anyway, i've just counted my calories for the day and I'm definitely over, and haven't had dinner yet, so a big slap on the wrist for me today. Might have to go find 400 cals of exercise to do so I can have a meal with the family tonight!!

Wednesday is weigh in day, so I'll be posting usually on wednesdays, but if I need to vent or have a bit of a moan about something in between days, this'll be where I do it ...
cheers
fiona
trying to stop the yo-yo!!!
feebeejay

Re: Feebeejay's weigh in

Postby Blitz » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 pm

Fiona

Your old post header was "new girl trying to get to the bottom of it all" now that you have graduated is your new header going to be "old girl trying to get rid of the bottom of it"? :lol:

Seriously, good work so far. You can be proud of your achievement but don't let over confidence cut you at the knees. Right through my weight loss journey people would be amazed by how much I had lost but I quickly reminded them (and myself) that I still had a ways to go. When asked how much I lost I would say something like..."50 kilos but I've still got 37 kilos to go". Part the way is not all the way. Indeed even when you reach goal you will still have to keeping it off (a life time journey). I suspect that what I've been writing is something that you have already learnt over Christmas already. Isn't experience a great teacher? :shock:

I liked the idea of your idea of the hole in the head but I like to expand on it further. Which hole? Is it the one in our head that reaches for food without thinking about the aftermath? Or the one that got food stuck into it? Mindfulness to the task at hand is what we need not thoughtlessness.

I would pay good money to see you hula-hoop! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here's to 2013...your year!
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:29 pm

thank Kim, yes you are right - I like the idea of saying how far I have to go ... puts it into perspective. one of the problems is that I haven't actually verbalised how much that is because i'm too scared it will ovewhelm me .. in my head I think i'm heading for 60 as it is the top end of what is supposed to be normal for my height. I always said i'd be so happy if I got back to 80kg, but there's that little part of me that just wonders if it's possible for me to ever be 60kg ... maybe if I get to 80kg i'll realise that I probably can get to 60 (and then when I get to 60 will I wonder if I can get to 50 which is the small side or normal for my height)... still gonna just do one day at a time I think and see where I end up. And yes, 2013 will be my year I think, there is no logical reason why I cannot do this, so i'm going to just keep doing it ...
thank you for your support, it is very much appreciated ...
cheers
fiona :)

PS. I know I just celebrated a birthday, but i'm not too sure about the 'old'!!! my benchmark keeps moving on what 'old' is anyway, and i've got heaps of a way to go yet ... someone told me last week that she thought I was 10 years younger than I am, so I must be doing something right!! hey, and if I ever hula hoop, I don't think anyone will be taking photos!! :) :)
feebeejay

Postby feebeejay » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:46 pm

Today's the first real weigh in for this next mini goal because the last couple of weeks have been pretty crazy ... so, not too many surprises, today (Wednesday) is weigh in day and from my weigh in this morning, i was the same as yesterday... 109kg.

I've put together some salad things for lunch which shouldn't be too many calories (lettuce, ham, onion, mushroom, capsicum) - and I think we're having silverside & veggies for dinner ... because we all love silverside so much, i'm going to try to limit what I eat during the day as much as possible (without starving myself of course...) so I can have that extra slice (or 2) of silverside! yum! oh, and it's not done properly if it doesn't have cheese sauce, so that's a few calories i'll have to add to the count.

i'm back at work today so it is a little easier to stay focussed as I only bring to work the food I plan to eat during the day. breakfast was 2 fairly small/medium sized apples, and I had a muesli bar at morning tea time. My body is telling me that it's time for lunch though, so I'm going to go and have lunch, and hopefully the afternoon will fly on by ... (oh by the way, strawberries for afternoon snack ...) that should leave plenty of calories over for the evening meal ... I'll add it up after i've had my lunch so I know how many slices of silverside I can have!!

When I'm being 'good' and following the calorie count accordingly, i've identified a bit of a pattern of 4 days staying at one weight, and then it seems to drop - the amount it drops varies depending on the week, but water consumption is key - so I've still got a bit of water to drink today. I like it really really icy cold, and being Tasmania, despite the 40 degree weather last week, today is only about 16, so it's not really conducive to icy cold water, but I will try to drink a bit more - i try to drink at least 2 full drink bottles (apprx 750ml each) every day, the more the better. I don't drink tea or coffee or anything like that, so it's mostly water. I do have a Berocca every day though from that water allowance, and I've just bought some sugar free fizzy drinks - not sure what they'll be like, sometimes those things have a bit of an after taste, but i'll give them a go. I love water, but sometimes you just feel llike something a little different.

Anyway, i'll keep you posted of any changes that happen along the way.
cheers
fj :)
feebeejay

Postby feebeejay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:27 am

Well, so far I've been struggling a bit this week ... It's been a bit of a roller coster dealing with the loss of our place in the bush fires ... I rummaged on Saturday in the rubble and managed to find an ornament that my grandmother gve me when I was about 7 ... But seriously, it's all just gone. I'm amazed at how everything has just melted and all that is left is that really fine white ash ... It has been very difficult. So, as a result I ate twisties and chocolate and ended with an asthma attack, not really surprised at that, but it was a wake up call that even though I'm feeling sorry for myself and I turned to comfort food, it turned on me, and reminded me that I just can't do that ... My body is rebelling!!! I've made much better choices since Saturday, but the scales say I've put on 400g since last Wednesday. I think part of that has to do with silverside ... I tried to be sensible, but I think I just over did it. Because of the distraction the the fires, I also haven't been writing everything in my food diary, so I really don't know how many calories I've been eating, so I need to get back on track with that this week. Starting today. I'm off work today so the plan is to sort out the area with our gym gear and make it workable. I watched an infomercial this morning on the total gym and got inspired again ... I have one of those in the gym, and haven't used it in a bit, so I'm going to get it all sorts so its user friendly and easy ... That's today's plan anyway! I've had fruit for barely, so started the day out well, protein and salad for lunch I'm thinking ... And maybe one of the roast meals we have in the freezer for dinner ... I'll let you know how I go ... :)
feebeejay

Postby feebeejay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Ok, just a quick post, but I thought I'd update ... My wonderful husband set up a space for me to get at least my treadmill and exercise bike back functional, so as the first day back in the swing of things I did 5km on the bike, which wasn't a lot, but I figured it would be an ok start ... I also did 35 minutes at 4km/hr on a slight incline, which ok,isn't a massive start, but I don't want to discourage myself and push myself too hard before I get back into it ... I had my ipad set up so I could watch a film while I walked, which worked out pretty well ok. I'm going to try to do something every day... Wish me luck!!
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:30 pm

You have the right idea about easing back into the exercise. It is amazing how sore you can be if you missed a couple of days of something. Give your body a fair chance to pick up speed again.

Your body is telling you it wants the healthy stuff. Listen to it and leave the twisties alone! :lol:

I've set up my exercise bike so that I'm in front of the TV. I usually put a DVD on and watch it while I pedal. It distracts me enough so the time goes by faster and I don't feel the fatigue so much.

It is a tough time for you but don't let it get to you. It is through events like this that our character is developed. Get past this and you will know that you can handle anything that the weight loss life can throw at you.

My wife's work had a special fund raising for the Tasmanian Bush Fires. For every dollars the employees contribute her company matched the money. Thinking of you and your family at this time.
Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:10 pm

Thanks Kim,
The fires have affected so many, and I just have to make sure I don't become another sort of victim in letting it get to me to impact on my health as well as the physical/material stuff. I've been looking up recumbent bikes on the net because I thought it might be a good option with a more comfy seat, but now my regular exercise bike is back and fully functional, I figure I'm just wasting time and money, the one I have is perfectly fine ... Once my bum goes numb, then ill have no excuse but to sit there and pedal!!!
Really enjoyed both the bike and the treadmill today, even though I took it easy, it felt good to get back into it ... Might try to get up a little earlier tomorrow morning and that way I won't have to worry for the rest of the day ... And if I feel like it, I can maybe do some more tomorrow night!!
I'll just see what the day brings I guess ...
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:38 am

I find it is easier on the bottom to break the exercises into 20/30 minute sessions with recovery time between. 60 minutes on the exercise bike combined with the heavy sweat would make things on the seat area too uncomfortable. In the early days I use to put a double layered towel on the bike's seat but nowadays my bottom has toughened enough not to worry about it.

Try using exercise as stress release for all the pressure you've been through. I know when I'm under the hammer a good walk or jog clears my mind wonderfully.
Kim
Blitz

Postby feebeejay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:56 pm

The crazy still continues, its hard to believe its only been three weeks since the house burned down, but so much has happened in the last three weeks, work has been difficult to concentrate on, but am now on a weeks leave so hopefully i can chill out relax a bit, and work out the best way to deal with our insurance money. Thank goodness for insurance! As of yesterday, we are now officially debt free ... Wow, that doesnt happen too often for people does it?? In terms of positives, i would never have imagine this outcome just 3 weeks ago.
So in terms of weight loss, i havent been as diligent as i would have liked, but i have lost about a kilo ... Todays weigh in was 108.2kg (Total loss of 11.8kg) ... Ive decided to take the plunge so to speak, and despite everything else that has happened, im trying to make good on a new years resolution, and that is to learn to swim properly. Ive been to the pool a couple of times, and waiting for lessons to start in 2 weeks time. Im trying to resurrect my heart rate monitor (needs new battery) so i can start to keep track. As its been out of action for a while now though and its a bit scratched, im wondering if i should get a new, better one, and my existing one is just a basic Polar version ... The fitness store i bought it from though has been closed for a couple of weeks now though, and im thinking i may have to go somewhere else ... Ive had a look online, and the one that gets the best reviews, says specifically that even though water resistent to 50m, it recommended not to wear it swimming ... Which is exactly what i want to do ... So now im not really sure. Maybe ill just see if the old one can be resurrected and if not, then maybe choose then i guess ...
Ive also been doing a bit of exercise bike and treadmill on the weekends, (about an hour total) somehow it just doesnt happen during the week, but i guess if i swim during the week and leave the other stuff to the weekend, maybe that will all work out ok too ...
Wve been out to dinner a couple of times which have been total disaster in terms of controlling what i eat, but ive tried to counter act it the next day ... Its just something i have to work ok ... Making good choices ... Its is a real challenge at times, but ill continue to work on it!!
Anyway, till next time, cheers, fee :)
feebeejay

Postby Blitz » Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:23 pm

I've often been thinking of you recent days. My next door neighbour had a fire. Been watching daily their attempts to get back on track. Insurance agents, family helping air out the remaining property that is full of smoke, tradies; giving quotes, fixing windows, wiring and the like, and the skip bins full of burnt possessions. When the fire was happening I was out with my hose dosing the flames as much as I could and watching the flames licking the fence line. I was thinking how your life can all change so quickly.

Swimming is so good for you. It isn't a big calorie burner but the benefits in overall health is great. It was a major part of my weight loss success and it really helped my asthma.

Going out to dinner is such a difficult skill to master. It still fills me with dread today. It took many times of falling flat on my face before I managed to walk away from an encounter with my head held high. One thing that did help me get the "victory" was the idea of "banking" your food. If you know that you are going out, easy back on your breakfast and lunch etc to give yourself some calorie blow out leeway. Also step up the exercise and reduce the food intake the day after to minimalise the damage.

Great work losing in this tough time!
Kim
Blitz

Return to Weekly Weigh In