It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:24 am

Free Newsletter

Shel_bel's weekly weigh in!

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Shel_bel's weekly weigh in!

Postby Blitz » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:14 pm

Oh man - how you keep doing the right things! Excellent work. :D I can totally relate to all that prep work. On Saturday we went out for the day. My wife and kid are going to have hot dogs for lunch...I make and pack a sandwich for myself and grab a supply of apples, sultanas and health bars. It really is a different lifestyle than the one I use to led...back then I would have knocked off two hot dogs for lunch and goodness knows what else besides!

As a treat for my daughter, the first day of each new school term I let her have a Maccas brekky. The only good thing I have to say about it...is the food is served quick - and the coffee is decent! :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for reminding me! I guess the "little things" are becoming less of a big deal to me now but they do make a difference. I can imagine it would be so easy to go off track if you were stuck but really, a bit of foresight can really make sure I stay on track. Thankfully I have never been caught in that position :D

This week I am 0.7 kg lighter! My BMI is 0.4 points off being "overweight" rather than "obese". That will be a milestone in itself!

I'm wondering if anyone has done a comparison between their body fat percentage and their BMI before?? I've used a couple of online body fat calculators (using a number of measurements, e.g. neck, wrist, forearm, waist, hips usually) and it's spitting out a BF% of anywhere between 26-28%... and by some graphs, that's actually within the average range for women (of course I want to be in the fitness category). But it makes me wonder, is this where I will really start to see the discrepancy between BMI and my fat percentage? As in, BMI is still saying obese (although very borderline!) but BF% is more normal? But then I don't know if I trust the BF% figures that have been calculated. All very interesting to see how my body will settle once I get closer.

And... I'm just 3.3 kg away from being in the 80s!! 80-something!! Wow :mrgreen: :shock: :P
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w49l0zq/]
shel_bel

Postby Gordz » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:21 pm

Do not even worry about BMI. It's an absolute load of crap.

When I was 110kg, I was in peak, prime condition (my avatar!) My BMI wanted me at 87-94kg!!! I'd be a scrawny, wirey mess.

BMI might work for asians, but if you ask me, it's an antiquated and basically irrelevant, unrealistic approximation of stereotypical standard. You know what you want to be, you know what you want to look like. Labels are superfluous and certainly not worth a second thought. Keep going though shel_bel, you're doing a ripper job.
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby Blitz » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:01 pm

These things are only general guides. There are a lot of variables that can make a difference. For example, in my case after losing 87 kilos I had a lot of extra skin hanging off me which isn't "normal" and is not factored in any height/weight/BMI charts. So my original goal of 66.7kg (which was sensibly selected as two thirds in the range for me) ended up being far too lean. I had no bottom but plenty of hanging skin! :shock: I sit more comfortably at 68kg to 70kg. At 70kg I'm just on the right side of healthy BMI...another kilo and I would be labelled obese!...even though I'm no where near there in real life. And that 70kg mark is with the fact that I've had two to three kilos of loose skin removed when I had my hernia operated on. No wonder the last 5 kilos of my weight loss took nearly two months to get off - I was going too low!

Some of the older charts are rated too low. New research has changed our view about how much body weight we should be. The older charts were far too lean.

Another thing to consider is muscle mass. There is the world of difference health wise and volume wise between a kilo of muscle and a kilo of fat. I remember years ago reading Phantom comics that illustrated this idea well. In one story we are told that the Phantom is 200 lbs...in another story a pair of villains pick up an unconscious Phantom and are surprised by how heavy he was. The writer got it right...he looked smaller than his 200 lbs because the Phantom was packed with muscle - he had no fat on him. If we were to chart the Phantom undoubtedly it would suggest he was unhealthy, with a lousy BMI number and needed to lose weight! Surely not the Phantom! :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Such great insights from you both, thank you! I will definitely only use them as guides... I guess never having been my goal weight at my full height, only time will tell how it decides to go. In the meantime I still have a little way to go yet so I'll just keep trucking along!

0.3kg down this week, taking me to 28kg lost exactly. Sometimes I have trouble comprehending just exactly where I was at the beginning of this journey!
shel_bel

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:10 pm

28kg! that's fab! If you think it is hard to get it in your head now - just you wait when you reach goal! 8) :lol:

I'm staggered that I've lost more of me than I weigh now! I put on my old pants and it is mind blowing to believe that that was my girth! I have a photo of my daughter and myself in them...she is in one leg and I'm in the other! Who was that guy? You too will be saying much the same soon. You will look at old photos of yourself and will find it hard to believe that WAS you. Even the recent photo of you will look crazy to you. Once you have reached goal your mind releases your eyes and you will see just how big you really were! I look at old photos and can't believe I didn't see how big I really was...guess my mind was trying to protect me from the truth! :shock: :lol:

Slip on an old dress or jeans - and revel at the success! :D
Keep going!
Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 am

I took your advice Kim and tried on old dresses.. wow! I didn't realise how big some of them had become! Considering I had to get help doing up the zippers in the past, some of them just slid over my head! Such a great feeling.

I had a great week this week but the scales didn't show it. It said I was up 300g which I know is a combination of change in weather and my pre-monthly bloat. 29 degrees in Sydney yesterday! I have been feeling extremely puffy after my walks so I know this is just noise. I drank 1.8L of water before 3pm yesterday and only had to go to the loo twice in that time!

So I'm not listening to the scales this week. I know my body well enough to understand the discrepancy :)
shel_bel

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:31 pm

You are right to go with your instinct. That puffy feeling is something that you get attuned to and you know that it is fluid retention that will literally pass. Listening to the rhythms of your body saves a lot of heart ache along the way. You will find a good drop in weight is just around the corner.

Don't forget to keep one of these clothing items as a souvenir. Sometimes in the rush of buying exciting new clothes people end up throwing out all their old clothes (to avoid going back to them maybe?). Keep at least one good one for that "look at me now I use to fit in this huge sack" photo. It's also good as a reminder just how far you have come. You can rattle of a loss number but seeing the difference in clothes really brings it home. :D

Keep plugging away at it. You are doing it with style.
Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:34 pm

Yes I have kept some clothes as souvenirs from my mini meltdown a while back when I came to realise that I couldn't "depend" on the comfortable fat clothes anymore!

This week I'm 0.7kg down which puts me back on track. I've been on a 7000kJ plan for a while so this week we have decided to see how a 6400kJ plan goes. The progress has slowed significantly in the last month (only 1.7kg loss in 4 weeks) and I just don't want to lose momentum. Measurements this month were down but not as much as previous months.

I'm interested to see whether I notice the absence of 600kJ per day!
shel_bel

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:21 pm

As we progress the amounts of loss get smaller - yet our effort to lose it increases. :shock: I once graphed my weekly losses and you can clearly see the steady trend down in losses as I got closer and closer to the end.

You are on the right track. Keep mixing it up and applying the pressure until that stubborn fat shifts! 8)

Remember routine means that our bodies get comfortable...every now and then throw something extra in to keep it on edge. :D

Keep going!
Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:33 pm

:mrgreen: Well the 6400kJ seems to have done it this week! I'm down a whole kilo. Feels like ages since I've pulled those numbers! Another exciting thing is that I am OFFICIALLY NOT OBESE ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :D :lol:

So clearly my body was used to the energy intake and decided it wanted to cruise.. well I have news for you body!!

Unfortunately I may have been overdoing my walks, my hip has been giving way about 15 minutes into the walk and then I find myself limping for the rest of the way which can't be good for my knees and feet as they compensate. Going for precautionary x-ray and ultrasound on Monday to make sure everything is ok. But I have been told to give it a rest for a week and allow it to heal. :? So that might make things next week a little interesting!

But anyway my scales this morning were saying 90.0.... I just wanna see 80-something in the morning this week and I'll be mega super happy!
shel_bel

Postby Blitz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:19 pm

Not officially obese anymore?...now that IS a landmark of your successful journey so far! 8)

Losing a kilo at this point is really great work. I bet you are itching to record a number in the 80's now, right? Number chasing can be so additive! :lol:

You may want to try walking in a pool if you want to do exercise without killing your hip further. The water will help keep the weight off the hip but still keep your muscles moving...but whatever happens - follow medical advise...they know what is what!

Congrats on your landmark...may you have many more! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:42 am

My scales said 89.6 kg this morning and BOY did I celebrate! I think hitting the 80s is in a way more exciting than getting under 100. I don't know.. being in the 80s is nearly "normal" and "acceptable" to me :roll: This won't be "official" at my Jenny Craig weekly weigh ins for another few weeks because I weigh in around 4pm fully clothed. Even this morning I had my pyjamas on!

The achievement has put me in a very positive mood - I'm off to a wedding today and wearing a new dress that I feel absolutely fabulous in! I got ready so early because I wanted to see myself all made up haha... I'm ready now at 8:40 and the wedding starts at 11:30 - in the past I would have left getting ready until the last minute because I didn't see a "point" in trying to look nice (how sad is that?!) Now, I can't wait to show off!!

:wink: :mrgreen:
shel_bel

Postby Blitz » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:50 pm

Welcome to the 80's!...now the 70's are calling you down! :lol: I'm so happy for you - you are starting to get that better future! 8)

Good work - but keep at it!

Kim
Blitz

Postby shel_bel » Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:55 pm

IMG_4944915737156-1.jpg
IMG_4944915737156-1.jpg (12.62 KiB) Viewed 2432 times

Here is a pic from the wedding I went to on Saturday :)
shel_bel

PreviousNext

Return to Weekly Weigh In