It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:54 pm

Free Newsletter

ira's weekly weigh in

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

ira's weekly weigh in

Postby ira » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:59 pm

Here we go: I'm starting a weekly weigh in. My competitive self is ready to face the world :wink:
Monday Oct 14: 77.1
Mini-goal: 72.00
Goal: 65.00
ira

Re: ira's weekly weigh in

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:48 pm

The line has been drawn in the sand...and the race commences! :D

That competitive streak will keep you in good stead. The biggest thing I miss about my weight loss journey is the continuous race against self for that lower number. The thrill of standing on those scales and reaching another landmark on the journey to success. There is no glory in maintenance! Ranging between a set of numbers is very mundane in comparison! :lol:

Best wishes on your journey to success!

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby admin » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:49 pm

Good for you Ira, just make sure that you don't give up.
If you aim for 500g loss per week (however in the beginning it might be more per week) it is very realistic.
Remember at the end of the day it is input vs output.
Cheers
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby ira » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:01 pm

Oct 14: 77.1
Oct 21: 76.9

Not much this week, just 0.2 kg, which may well be random variation. More than 500g would have been great, but didn't happen :( I'm hoping that I've gained some muscle weight. I am actually feeling that I'm toning up a bit, so that may be it. I should probably do more cardio... my PT does mostly weight training, with only 5 min of cardio, which is great for toning but probably not helping much with weight loss.
Many thanks for the support, it really keeps me on track.

cheers,
Ira
ira

Postby Blitz » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Don't get too discouraged Ira, I'm pretty sure that your muscle gain is hiding a lot of your good work. The frustrating thing about going the weight training route is the slow results at the beginning but remember that once it all kicks in you are going to have tremendous outcomes. So hang in there! I definitely would have done weight training while I was losing weight if I didn't have my belly hernia (the size of my fist) preventing me going down that track.

If you want to try some cardio stuff, I recommend that you go swimming a few times a week. You will be using different muscles and it will help you breath right while you are exercising. It is also low impact and give your body a chance to recover from those weights. :D

You are doing good...keep going and don't lose sight that success isn't measured by the week but by the lifetime! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby ira » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:40 am

Oct 29: 76.6

Small changes but steady :)
Thank you Kim, yes swimming would be great, it's actually the only kind of exercise I thoroughly enjoy... But my gym doesn't have a swimming pool... I should find a place to go swimming. The university where I teach has a nice swimming pool but I'm a bit uncomfortable meeting my students there :oops: I'm ok with muscle gain, because I'm terribly unfit, so with the weight training I feel that I have more strength and stamina. My PT said she will do more cardio, so hopefully that will speed up the weight loss. Also, I've been slacking a bit on the diet this week, so will try to stick to the diet. If not, I'll get the 1200 cal light&easy for a few weeks!

Ira
ira

Postby ira » Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:45 pm

Oct 29: 76.6
Nov 15: 75.0

I disappeared for two weeks, had some crazy time at work... but didn't give up! I did not have time to exercise and only had fruit for lunch (no time to grab lunch... just thrown a few oranges in my bag in the morning), and that seemed to give good results. -1.6 kg in two weeks :o
So I'll probably try to stick to bringing fruit/veggies for lunch and do more cardio than weight training when I go to the gym. My trip to Europe is only 3 weeks away, so that is some extra motivation!

Ira
ira

Postby admin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:16 pm

Great work Ira.
Sounds like you have it all in hand and are fighting fit.....keep up the good work.

Cheers
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby Blitz » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 am

Very good work Ira. :D

You kept your new healthy lifestyle together in a tough work period. More importantly - you adjusted it to circumstance. When exercise was hard to fit in you reduced calorie consumption...and picked the best meal to compromise (not to mention oranges are very good for you!). 8)

Nothing like a deadline to focus the mind to the problem at hand! :lol: :lol: :lol: Are you getting excited about your trip already?

Kim
Blitz

Postby ira » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Hi Kim, yes, getting really excited about the trip!
On the other hand today I've been a slack with the diet: red chicken curry with rice at a thai restaurant for dinner + more snacking at home!!....duh! must make up for it over the next few days.
Thanks so much for being so supportive. It was great to login here and find some good words when I was quite angry at myself :evil:

cheers,
Ira
ira

Postby Blitz » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:13 am

Ira, use that trip to keep yourself on the straight and narrow. If you eat it - own it! What I do is extra exercise to make up for the extra calories. That does two things; 1) Burns off the blow out and 2)The extra hard work is a reminder not to do piggy out again or I'll have to do more hard work! :lol:

I noted with interest that you did more snacking when you went home. This is something that happens. I find that the more I overeat - the more my body wants to overeat. If I stay in the boundaries I have no problem but the moment I start to over snack I find that I want to eat still more. This is "old lifestyle" thinking creeping back. The mind doesn't know when enough is enough. If you do "fall off the wagon" watch out for this...it just compounds the problem.

Don't be too hard on yourself for the Thai restaurant meal. It took me many goes at eating out before I was able to walk away from the encounter with my head held high. The first time out was such a fiasco that I was very ill and chucked up because I had overeat so much (who knew my stomach had shrunk so much that half what I would have eaten at a smorgasbord was far too much?). You are just starting out and it takes a while to build the skills to successfully deal with it. Even today with all my experience going out sets me on edge and puts me on high alert! :shock: Do what you can - and learn from each experience. :D

Kim
Blitz

Return to Weekly Weigh In