It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:50 pm

Free Newsletter

chocoholic25's weigh in

Weigh in each week here!

Moderator: Moderators

chocoholic25's weigh in

Postby chocoholic25 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:44 pm

Hey everyone! I'm new here and I'm so excited about losing weight. I've tried several times, each time I did lose some, anywhere between 4 kg at one try, to 15kg in another try, but in the end I just kept giving up and going back to bad food. Well, this time I have another 10kg to get to my first goal weight of 75kg, after that I'm going to re-evaluate and decide if I'm happy there, or keep going.

Having people here to talk to about our progresses is inspiring to keep going :) So fingers crossed I don't lose hope this time and I actually get there! I was 92.4kg in January.

This morning's weigh in was 85.7kg
I lost 0.6kg last night, I hope I can continue with that progress but I'll just have to see what happens.
10.7kg to go
Weight in November 2013: 92.4kg
---------------------------------------------
New diet start weight 20th March 2014: 86.3kg
Current weight: 80.6kg
First Big Goal Weight: 75kg
Kilos left to go: 5.6kg
chocoholic25

Re: chocoholic25's weigh in

Postby Blitz » Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:52 am

Welcome choloholic25! :D

This is a great place to find help, support and accountability. We have insight into this journey that you are on because we too are on that journey. There is much wisdom and practical help here...often learnt from hard experience. The best way to use this place is to dive in...so don't be shy! 8)

If you want to succeed long term, you will find it best if you think along the lines of developing a healthy lifestyle that works for you. This is the difference between "doing" (losing some weight and then stopping) and "being" (your life - who you are - a healthy lifestyle that is permanent).

Wishing you a better future! :D
Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby chocoholic25 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:39 am

Hi Blitz! Thank you for your reply! :) Yes you're absolutely right, I want to change my eating habits and keep the weight off for good, I hope I NEVER get this big again! lol. Atm I'm eating chicken garden salads and fruits, I've ditched all sugars, carbs and keeping my serving sizes small, and drinking bottles of ice water throughout the day, I never realized how much extra I ate before. Now that I'm eating the smaller portions I'm realizing how quickly it actually takes to feel full without eating such a massive plate.

I lost 0.7kg last night, 10.2kg to go, I'm really hoping tomorrow I'll be in the 84kg range and only have a single digit countdown to go to get to my goal weight (9.something kg to go).
I'll be SO happy when I start to see the 79s on the scales as well! I haven't been in the 79kg range in FOUR years!

When I get to my goal weight of 75kg I plan to re-evaluate and decide if I want to go down further to 70kg or less or not, (I'm broad shouldered and broad hipped so last time I was 70-75kg it looked nice, I was in the 60kg range 6 years ago and hubby said I looked too thin apparently). I plan on throwing out my entire wardrobe and getting all new clothes :) Very exciting! lol.
chocoholic25

Postby Blitz » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:49 pm

Most of us didn't realise how much extra we eat - that's why we got to the size we did! :shock:

Portion control is the key factor in the food area. It doesn't really matter what you eat as such...so long as you keep the portion of that particular food reasonable. Mind you, 300cals of lettuce will fill you up a heck of a lot more than 300cals of chocolate would. :lol:

You have the right idea with how you look at numbers. Aiming at goals keeps us focussed to the task. It isn't just about the numbers lost...that 9.something kg to go number is also useful. I always had some target number only about 2 or 3 kilos from where I was to drive me forward.

See how you feel about your final goal weight closer to the time. Use a height/weight chart to help you get the range and then refine it from there. Some of the factors to consider are: how much muscle you make (which naturally means you will weigh more than the average person), how much loose skin you end up with (in my case, losing 87kg meant I had a huge amount of loose skin to factor in - kilos and kilos worth) but be cautious about just going by looks. Those around you are used to seeing the supersized version, the pared down version will look "wrong" to their eyes until the brain gets use to what a normal you looks like. Also you will have the opposite problem, your brain used to refuse to see you overweight when you were and now that you have lost the weight it makes you see yourself bigger than you actually are; that is why often during the journey one of the last people to see progress is you!

Kim
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:35 pm

Welcome chocoholic!

I know exactly what you mean about losing some then gaining again then losing again then gaining...it gets tiresome :roll:

I think one of my problems to begin with was, I was so focused on the END, the goal weight, the buying of clothes, the perfect weight etc, that I got completely side tracked from the journey, would be rushing the kg's off then fail miserably again because I was starving :lol:

I DO like to see great results very quickly, it is definitely a motivation so this time I joined a 12 week challenge and I'm in my final week but after that, slow and steady...

This time I'm trying to enjoy the journey and celebrate every loss because it's one step closer to my goal. I'm not even thinking about being at goal at the moment. I have a long way to go and that's okay :) It's a life long journey and one I need to not stress myself out about. I've set small goals. My ultimate goal for this challenge was 85kg, I'm not going to make exactly that but I will get close!

From there, low 80's are my magic numbers where I find I end up often so I'll be in that comfortable stages where a lot of my clothes fit again before diving back into the 70's. From there, really slow and steady til I reach goal.

Good luck with your journey and just remember, a small loss or a tiny gain is not the end of the journey, just a little hump and you're on your way again ;)
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:26 pm

I think that is where so many people fall down. They have a start, do and finish mentality.
Unfortunately this approach doesn't deal with the lifestyle that got you where you are before the diet.
So they go back to their old ways and end up back where they started! :shock:

Working on a healthy lifestyle is definitely the way to go. It is the difference between being given fish and being taught to fish.

Kim
Blitz

Postby chocoholic25 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:48 am

Sorry for the late reply, well, I'm glad I'm on this site, reading everyone's reply's is a good way to get advice! I feel awful today, yesterday I had a bout of impatience and didn't eat much at all :( And after all day of eating bugger all I still didn't lose much and today I'm paying for it, I don't feel very good! So, I'm going to try harder to change how I look at this, take your advice, try not to rush, try to make it a healthy lifestyle and not a diet. I felt great about that the other day, but yesterday the impatience hit me hard :( Not good. I'm down to 83.9kg, but still, rushing it and not eating much isn't the way to go. Otherwise I'm just going to gain it all back again anyway. I've never been very good at losing weight and sticking with it, lol. But I HAVE to try, and try and do it the right way (Not like what I did yesterday).

I liked what you wrote too ganymede; "a small loss or a tiny gain is not the end of the journey, just a little hump and you're on your way again ;)"

I think I really need to keep that in mind from now on, I've always been an impatient person (according to my husband, lol!), so I really need to stop pushing myself to Get there already. After how I feel I feel this morning, weak, from barely eating yesterday... well, on the plus note, I learned my lesson about that, lol. NEVER AGAIN! Now it's time to Start eating again, clean healthy eating, and no rushed 'starving'.
chocoholic25

Postby Blitz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:40 pm

Successful weight loss is a delicate balancing act. Restrict your food intake to encourage your body to surrender your fat deposits (because of the demand your exercise has created) and eating enough to keep your body ticking over so that it can function properly.

One of the cornerstones is to make sure that you have a really good breakfast to start your day. Indeed when it comes to breakfast err on the side of generous. A good breakfast will kick start your metabolism, start your body's day with a full filling so that you are less likely to pig out later and provide fuel for your exercise.

Most of us here got fat because we had poor eating habits. One of the constants of overweight people statistically is that the vast majority skipped breakfast and by the time they finally got to food...watch out world! :shock:

The weight loss journey is a character building journey! We all want it yesterday...but in the end it is about slowly chipping away at it. Don't worry to much about it - when I started I quietly gulped at the thought of losing 87 kilos - but before I knew it...I was there! Along the way it was hard to SEE the progress. Only the stark numbers, friends' reactions and the loose clothing clued me that it was working. :D

You have learnt a good lesson...now bound ahead with that knowledge! 8)

Kim
Blitz

Postby chocoholic25 » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:48 pm

I know what you mean about finding it hard to see the progress, I have before and after photos that I take every so many kg, I don't see a huge difference at all, hubby says he does but I have to really stare at it to see Anything at all...but...tonight I pulled out my old original wedding ring set from 6 years ago and it fits! Only Just fits, but still, it actually fits! I ate more today, feeling MUCH better now which is good, so, back on track from now on.

Um, on a different note, should I probably be posting this kind of thing (general convo about my progress) in the personal progress section instead?
chocoholic25

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:48 am

One of the main indicators of weight loss for me was my wedding ring. When I married, my inherited grandfather's ring was a very tight fit on the wedding ring finger. A few years later I moved it to my small finger. Just before I lost weight I was contemplating wearing it on a chain around my neck because it was becoming too tight on my small finger.

While I was losing weight I kept trying the ring on my ring finger - one day I was able to finally get it on. Very soon after it was comfortable to wear it on that finger. Unfortunately, a short few weeks after it became too loose for that finger! I now wear it on my middle finger but I can actually place it on my index finger or my thumb quite comfortably. It is so loose on my ring finger and small finger that I can put the ring at the tip of each of those fingers, let go and it will fall to the base of those fingers.

The ring is like a ruler to me and is a reminder just how far I've come.

The weigh in is usually about - yep you guessed it - weighing in. You may want to start another thread about your personal progress and leave this one for your weekly weigh in. It will make it easier for others to follow...but there are no hard or fast rules about it. The important thing is to post! :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby chocoholic25 » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:00 pm

Well it's been a little while since I posted my weigh in so I'm posting this morning's one.

I'm 80.2kg now, so close to the 79 kg zone!

5.2kg left to go till my goal weight.

I keep getting 3-4 days of huge 500g-900g daily drops on the scales and then stalls for a few days and then another huge 500g - 900g daily drops in the scales again and then stalls again. A little frustrating, but I'm getting there :) Just gotta keep pottering on!

My next weigh in is Sun the 20th next week.
chocoholic25

Postby Blitz » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:14 am

This is perfectly natural way for weight to be lost. Drop and then the body consolidates that loss. Learning these natural rhythms of how your body copes and react is very helpful in plotting your way to goal. 8)

Getting so close to the 70's has got to be a real motivator to you...keep your focus and very soon you will reach goal! Good job so far! :D

Kim
Blitz

Return to Weekly Weigh In