It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:44 pm

Free Newsletter

my name is Bec & i'm overweight

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

my name is Bec & i'm overweight

Postby modernchild » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:12 pm

title says it all!
i have been overweight for the last 8 years and have been able to get motivated and lose weight only to fall pregnant (which is a good thing!) at the exact same weight each time and then pile it all back on.

At the moment my metabolism is non existant...doesn't matter what i do its all going very slowly.

I'm here because i am overweight and need support and ideas!
modernchild

Postby help6363 » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:25 pm

Hello and welcome!

YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

I tried many things before I found calorie counting worked for me. I don't know if you want to try it but below are the calories for weight loss. Just keep trying different things until you find something you like and that suits you.

WOMEN

Need to lose less than 6kgs
1,250 calories (35grams of fat)

Need to lose 6 -20 kgs
1,500 calories (42g of fat)

Need to lose more than 20kg
1,750 calories (49g of fat)

I like calorie counting cause it's free and I got the number of calories in foods from the web for free. KJs are written on packets sometimes instead of calories, to work out the calories divide by 4.19

Here's some more advice ............ It's what I have learnt so far, hope it helps!

STAGE ONE!

The preparation stage

In life we seem to prepare for everything: career, starting a family, marriage and so forth. When it comes to weight loss, a lot of people simply just state that’s it and do not preparation what-so-ever. To be successful we must prepare: not preparing is preparing for failure!

How does one prepare?

1. Set well defined goals

What are your goals? These can be changed and they probably will. However, you need something to work towards. Remember to write down why it is important to YOU to change these goals!

Your goals don’t need to be related to just the number on the scales or a dress size. For instance, one of my goals is to enter into a slimming magazine competition when I reach my goal weight. Allow yourself to dream.

Write down your goals:

2. Know thy self!

We spend so much time asking other people how they feel and trying to work them out, let’s do the same for ourselves. What problems do you normally encounter? How will you overcome these problems?

One of my biggest problems is binge eating. To solve this problem, I keep a journal with the aim of trying to figure myself out. Here’s what I do: write down when I feel like binge eating and what I feel like eating. I can look over this at a later date. When I have analysed myself and my actions I came to the realisation that I like to eat greasy food when I am stressed, chocolate when I am grumpy and so forth. Now you just need to replace the habit with something else. Can you drink water when you are stressed instead of reaching for the greasy food? Make strategies that will work for YOU!

This may take some practice! Hence, just get back on the horse if you do slip up….. it’s really not the end of the world!

3. Social support

We all need help sometimes! Social support can come in many different forms: friends, the Internet, groups. Find what works for you.

Once again this may take some research!

4. A contract

Draw up a contract: in which you promise to fight this battle and win! This way you are holding yourself accountable.

5. Relax and enjoy the journey

Many people focus on the final outcome but just enjoy the journey. Each day will present itself with new challenges and along the way you will learn new skills to deal with these challenges. This journey is going to change you…… it’s pretty amazing what you are able to do, don’t you think?

6. Planning to exercise

If you are anything like me, you would have no idea about what exercise you like. Again this is self discovery, find out what you like. Go to different places and try new things. Remember you are learning about you! You are worth the effort.

7. Barriers

Sometimes barriers just get in our way. Brainstorm about if there are any barriers in your way before you attempt this. If there are barriers that present problems, then try to sort them out.

8. What works for you?

There are millions of diets, gimmicks and so forth. I personally follow calorie counting because it works for me. Research until you find a strategy for weight loss that works for you. Make sure it is healthy and will ensure that your new eating plan helps you to maintain an optimum level of health.

Jumping on the Internet for just an hour a day could be your research!

9. Staying motivated

Each time I used to commence a diet, I would start with enthusiasm and then a week later quit! We need strategies to keep us motivated. What motivates you?

Here’s what I did: I broke my main goal into mini goals and then made up rewards for myself each time I reached a mini goal. Rewards can be anything: soap, bubble bath, holiday, a special outing and so forth. Yes, you could give yourself these things anytime but why not work towards them?

Know your self, what motivates you? How will you keep yourself motivated? Work out strategies that will work for you!

STAGE 2 The doing stage

I will update this section each day or week.

I think this is the toughest part.

Keeping on track – journal it!

Keeping a journal is great! You could include pictures of yourself as you go through your weight loss journey. It’s great for when you look back and think to yourself…. ‘hey I am pretty amazing, look at what I have done!’ You could record your food intake, thoughts and feelings and so forth. This is a record of your own unique weight loss journey.

Drinking water

Water helps to decrease the appetite and will help your skin to glow! Try to drink at least 6-8 glasses a day. For me that was a MAJOR challenge.

Finding it all too much?

If you are finding it all too much then you could write out a timetable. I did this at the start because I could not fit in time to exercise. Also, I have designed and stuck to a timetable when I was unemployed to ensure that I had structure in my life. For my structure is very, very important. Other people simply do not need it!

The plateau

Almost everyone hits a plateau. I hate them; the dreaded plateau annoys me so much! They annoy me because I am working and not seeing any results! Arrrggghhhh…. Plateaus!!!! There are so many things that you can do! Once again research. Here’s how I have overcome plateaus:

Drink more water
Vary my exercise routine
Watch my calories (write everything down!)
Change the types of food I am eating - still sticking with the correct number of calories

Meals

Eating six small meals a day has helped me to stay on task. It ensures that I am never really hungry and never really full. Also, I believe it helps the metabolism!

Stepping it up!

Exercise goals also needed to be reviewed. I started exercising by walking, I know go the gym. I participate in cardio and weight training. Weight training is great: I only used the machines, as I do not like the free weights.

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS........ Look forward to reading about your progress!
help6363

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:41 pm

well, my goodness if that wasn't an information packed welcome! :lol:

Welcome to the forum! If you have any question just let us know, someone will be sure to have an answer or know where to point you!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby modernchild » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:50 pm

Thankyou SO MUCH for that info!

That is so what i needed!!

One day at a time is the starting point!
modernchild

Postby candycane » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:28 pm

awesome load of info there. Couldnt have sed it better myself, in fact i'm sure that was helpful for heaps of people :) including myself

goodluck with the weightloss and remember when it gets tough come on here for some inspiration and tips. If you fall off the wagon just forget what ya did wrong and get back up...we're only human afterall :)
Goal: 65-67 kg <-------Ultimate Goal:
For now? No weighing for a few weeks...
candycane

Postby milkyway » Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:52 pm

Welcome aboard, Bec - and what a great load of information to digest. Some great advice already. Stick around, we're here to support you any way we can :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby modernchild » Sat Nov 10, 2007 11:37 pm

i was sitting and thinking about this site while i worked (i work from home-so all i do is work! :roll: )
Anyway the more i thought the more i felt i need to get all of this off my chest.
Please forgive my ramblings...

i am overweight, i know i am but at times i just don't see it.
IF i look in the mirror it is from afar and i don't linger looking its a quick look and then i'm gone.
We have built in wardrobes in our bedroom with sliding mirrored doors, i push the door closest to me away so i can not see myself.
I don't go out much, i hate social gatherings as i know people are commenting on my size.
i cut out all tags on my clothes so no one sees what size i take.
i don't have photos taken and if there is a photo of me i can't bear to look at it.
I eat in secret, mostly when my husband goes to bed so he sees nothing.
I know what i weigh and it horrifies me but i think to myself 'well at least its not xxx' which is 10kgs heavier.
I can't even in here write down what i weigh-i am ashamed. :cry:

That was so hard to write.
It is a beginning though.
modernchild

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:45 am

Hi Bec

It was really brave of you to tell us all that stuff, good on you. I'm sure with a bit of determination on your part and encouragement from us you will reach your goal, whatever that maybe. As for not putting your weight, it's not important we're all here for the same thing but just out of curiosity how much do you want to lose?
losebabyfat_2005

Postby help6363 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:13 am

modernchild wrote:i was sitting and thinking about this site while i worked (i work from home-so all i do is work! :roll: )
Anyway the more i thought the more i felt i need to get all of this off my chest.
Please forgive my ramblings...

i am overweight, i know i am but at times i just don't see it.
IF i look in the mirror it is from afar and i don't linger looking its a quick look and then i'm gone.
We have built in wardrobes in our bedroom with sliding mirrored doors, i push the door closest to me away so i can not see myself.
I don't go out much, i hate social gatherings as i know people are commenting on my size.
i cut out all tags on my clothes so no one sees what size i take.
i don't have photos taken and if there is a photo of me i can't bear to look at it.
I eat in secret, mostly when my husband goes to bed so he sees nothing.
I know what i weigh and it horrifies me but i think to myself 'well at least its not xxx' which is 10kgs heavier.
I can't even in here write down what i weigh-i am ashamed. :cry:

That was so hard to write.
It is a beginning though.

Thanks for sharing, you are so brave! :D

You sound just like I was when I started my weightloss journey. I always ate when nobody could see me and always cut the labels out of my clothes.

Sweetie, try not to let your weight define you.....I know easier said than done! You have so many other great things going for you.

I KNOW YOU CAN DO THIS!!!! :D
help6363

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:59 am

Hi there :) Welcome to the forum :D SOunds like everyone has already given you some fab advice, so Ill just say hello :D
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Postby milkyway » Sun Nov 11, 2007 10:21 am

That was really brave Bec and huge leap forward. One of the things I found so confronting here was how honest people are and in turn, it made me become honest about my weight, my pitfalls and downfalls. We're here to support you, Bec, no judge or condemn you. No on here is going to make comments about your weight or look to see what dress size you are. We know how hard it is to lose weight, whether it's 10kg or 50kg!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Mandie » Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:48 pm

Welcome to the forum Bec.

I know how you feel.. used to be EXACTLY the same way. I finally got the courage to tell my boyfriend what I weigh a couple of weeks ago, I was crying... but it felt so good to get it off my chest, and he is so supportive and lovely.. I reckon your husband will be too.

Best of luck, take it one day at a time, you WILL get there :)
Mandie

Postby opal630 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:31 pm

Hi Bec

Welcome to the forum. I can understand about not wanting to post your weight. Before I posted mine on here I would not tell anyone how much I weighed for fear of that reaction. Once I got home and realised my tag was out and then stressed about who at work may have seen my size. I won't eat on my own in public because I think all the skinny people will look at the gross fat girl eating, and I would most certainly not eat anything that looks unhealthy in public.

Since everyone on here is or has been in the same boat I'm comfortable with posting my weight as I don't feel judged here. It's nice to just get it out there so I can just concentrate on reducing it.

Maybe you can keep a journal of your progress written down somewhere private so you can see how far you are coming along.
First Mini Goal - 95 kilos: Done; Second Mini Goal - 90 kilos
SW: 102.8
CW: 93.8
GW: 56 -- reward = walking tour of Italy (my dream)
opal630

Postby JP1 » Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:04 pm

welcome to the forum Bec, theres some inspirational people here who will provide you with a lot of motivation, good luck.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Chelle » Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:08 pm

Welcom to the forum thankyou for your stories i know it must of been hard for you to say all that but we are all here for the same reason & here to help each other & support each other. If you need any help just ask, I look forward to your progress.
Chelle

Next

Return to Introductions