It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:54 pm

Free Newsletter

Getting my head out of the sand

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Getting my head out of the sand

Postby Firefly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:10 pm

Hi to everyone here.
It is time I introduced myself and got my head out of the sand. I recently turned 50, I'm 5'11" and I'm close to the heaviest I have ever been in my life, currently 130.1 kilos. It is time to stop procrastinating, and start taking control of my health and my weight. I have lost weight in the past, but always end up putting it back on, plus more. I am at the point where I am committed to making changes that I can carry on through the rest of my life.

I spoke to my doctor recently regarding my weight, and his suggestion was lap band surgery. He gave me a book to take home and read on this subject, and it has really shocked me into action. I don't want surgery. I don't want to be so overweight, and I don't want to end up with diabetes, stroke etc etc. I want to take control of my life and make changes to my lifestyle that will result in healthy weight loss and to feel healthier than I do now.

So, I am taking my head out of the sand and today is the first day of the rest of my life. It will be a journey that I am sure has its ups and downs, and I know I am going to need every bit of encouragement and willpower I can get to keep on going with it. In joining this forum, I am hoping the inspiration and encouragement of others will help me to stay focused, and perhaps somewhere along the way, I can be an encouragement for others too.

Firefly
Firefly

Postby milkyway » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:25 pm

Hi Firefly (loved that TV Show - is that the inspiration behind your forum name?). Welcome to the board :) Good on you for taking control of the situation and doing something about your weight. You'll find lots of support and encouragement here and feel free to join in anywhere and start supporting others too. I look forward to hearing about your progress :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Re: Getting my head out of the sand

Postby help6363 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:34 pm

Firefly wrote:Hi to everyone here.
It is time I introduced myself and got my head out of the sand. I recently turned 50, I'm 5'11" and I'm close to the heaviest I have ever been in my life, currently 130.1 kilos. It is time to stop procrastinating, and start taking control of my health and my weight. I have lost weight in the past, but always end up putting it back on, plus more. I am at the point where I am committed to making changes that I can carry on through the rest of my life.

I spoke to my doctor recently regarding my weight, and his suggestion was lap band surgery. He gave me a book to take home and read on this subject, and it has really shocked me into action. I don't want surgery. I don't want to be so overweight, and I don't want to end up with diabetes, stroke etc etc. I want to take control of my life and make changes to my lifestyle that will result in healthy weight loss and to feel healthier than I do now.

So, I am taking my head out of the sand and today is the first day of the rest of my life. It will be a journey that I am sure has its ups and downs, and I know I am going to need every bit of encouragement and willpower I can get to keep on going with it. In joining this forum, I am hoping the inspiration and encouragement of others will help me to stay focused, and perhaps somewhere along the way, I can be an encouragement for others too.

Firefly

Hello and welcome! :D

You sound like you have the determination and courage to be so success at losing weight. I look forward to reading about your successful weight loss in the near future! :D

What approach to weight loss are you using? Ie: calories, shakes, healthy eating. I will not judge your method....we are all different! Different things work for different people.

Have a great day!

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Postby Firefly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:47 pm

Hi Milkyway,
I just like the name 'Firefly', they seem to be bright little creatures, flitting around, shining their little lights. Hopefully one day I can be a bright littler creature than I am now, able to flit around much more easily than I can now.
I didn't know there was a TV show called Firefly. What was it about?
Cheers
Firefly.
Firefly

Postby Firefly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Michelle,
Nice to meet you. I know what has worked for me in the past, which is cutting down on the calories that go into my mouth, as well as getting out there and walking. I used to walk early in the day before heading to work, and that seemed to kick start my day. I haven't started doing that again this time, but I have been walking in my lunch break, till last Thursday when I tripped on some raised pavement and fell flat on my face. Still getting over very sore ribs, wrist and bruised face. That will teach me not to look where I am going! I hope to start walking again next week though and will try to get up half an hour earlier to walk in the mornings.

What works for you?

Cheers, Firefly
Firefly

Postby JP1 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:26 pm

Hi Firefly you seem already to know how best to go about reducing your weight so good luck and welcome.

Just back read some of these guys progress to get all the inspiration you need and I'm sure everyone will support you as much as possible.
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Firefly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi JP1,
I have just been roaming the threads here, and getting lots of inspiration. Great to meet you.
Cheers,
Firefly
Firefly

Postby help6363 » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:47 pm

Firefly wrote:Hi Michelle,
Nice to meet you. I know what has worked for me in the past, which is cutting down on the calories that go into my mouth, as well as getting out there and walking. I used to walk early in the day before heading to work, and that seemed to kick start my day. I haven't started doing that again this time, but I have been walking in my lunch break, till last Thursday when I tripped on some raised pavement and fell flat on my face. Still getting over very sore ribs, wrist and bruised face. That will teach me not to look where I am going! I hope to start walking again next week though and will try to get up half an hour earlier to walk in the mornings.

What works for you?

Cheers, Firefly

Nice to meet you too!

OUCH! Sorry to hear about your fall! I have done that a million times too! In fact, I walk into everything! I am so un-co. I have fallen off the treadmill and a stationary bike at the gym. Oh, I have also hit myself with a free weight in the head. They asked me at the gym reception if I wanted a safety helment cause weights can be dangerous :lol: LOL :oops:

What works for me?
Calorie counting, exercise and drinking that horrible stuff known as water. I drink my water like it's medicine......I really don't like it!

I go the gym ......typically I do weight training and RPM. Love RPM!

Looks like you have an excellent plan that works for you and that's great! I reackon that's half the battle!

I KNOW YOU WILL DO THIS!!! :D

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle
help6363

Postby Firefly » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:06 pm

help6363 wrote:
I KNOW YOU WILL DO THIS!!! :D

Have a great day

Cheers

Michelle

Michelle, that is just the sort of thing I need to hear right now. Thank you!

It seems such a lot of weight to lose, it's taken years to go on, so I'm not expecting to get rid of it quickly. I know it will take me a long time to get rid of it as well. I have no idea what my ideal weight is, but I reckon if I can get under that 100kilo mark, I'd be well on my way to feeling much much better in myself.
Cheers,
Firefly
Firefly

Postby milkyway » Sat Nov 17, 2007 10:10 pm

Hi Firefly,

'Firefly' was a short lived TV series by Joss Whedon, the creator of the Buffy and Angel series - kinda like a western set in space. It was killed by the network after just 13 shows but there was such a backlash from Whedon fans, he was given the money to turn it into a movie, 'Serenity' which was a huge success. I loved the movie -- answered all the questions the TV series didn't get to.

I think Firefly is a great forum name. I love 'em too... like little angels flitting around.

Sorry to hear about your tumble the other day. Ouch!

Getting under 100kg is a great goal to have. All the best! :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby chubbywife79 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:25 am

Hi and welcome to the forum Firefly, you be good inspiration for me because we both need to lose similar amount of weight and if you can do so can I.
chubbywife79

Postby Firefly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:01 am

chubbywife79 wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum Firefly, you be good inspiration for me because we both need to lose similar amount of weight and if you can do so can I.

Hello there,
Perhaps we can both encourage each other along the way. Thank you for the welcome, it is so nice to meet so many friendly folk who are on the same journey as me.
Have a wonderful day,
Firefly
Firefly

Postby Mandie » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:49 am

Welcome aboard! You CAN do this :)
Mandie

Postby Firefly » Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:37 pm

Hi Mandy,
Yes I 'can' do this... sure beats the alternative. Thank you for the welcome.
Cheers,
Firefly :D
Firefly

Postby Playboy_bunny » Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 pm

Hi Firefly :D Image to the forum :D xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Next

Return to Introductions