It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:21 am

Free Newsletter

Forever watching food intake

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Forever watching food intake

Postby _DOLLY_ » Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:15 pm

Hi everyone!

I need some positive motivation to keep me going with my weight loss.
I have developed a thyroid gland condition which seems to have left me permanently chubby.

Certain foods called goitrogens (ie Broccoli, Cauliflower, Brussel Sprouts, Cabbage, Mustard, Turnips, Rape seed (Canola Oil) Soy, Pine nuts, Millet, Peanuts) stop my thyroid medication from working, it's so hard to always stay focused.

I guess what I'm saying is, I need someone to say something that will inspire me to continue with my weight loss journey. Too many times I've felt tired and have almost given in to staying fat.
_DOLLY_

Welcome DOLLY

Postby Scott » Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:10 pm

Welcome on board Dolly.

If you're looking for motivation, you've come to the right place.

Weight loss is a challenge for most of us and we each have our own unique circumstances to cope with.

Having a medical condition is among the hardest of those circumstances to work around, but even those are not usually insurmountable - just unique and a little more difficult.

The key is to manipulate what we eat, how much we eat and how much and what type of exercise we do to suit our individual circumstances. For example, if we can't exercise enough, we need to cut down on how much we eat or the types of foods we eat. If we can't modify our diets, we need to exercise more.

It's about finding the right balance for us.

The hardest thing, but one of the most important things is to be consistent and keep going, which is where the motivation comes into it.

By sharing our ups and downs with others, by reminding ourselves that we are not alone and by relying on others for advice and support we can all achieve our weight loss goals.

To help with my motivation, I've found it useful making a pledge to do something positive in the pledge section of this forum and I find it motivational when others have lost some weight and register it in the weekly weigh in section.

Perhaps you'll find these motivational too!

Whatever works for you, I look forward to hearing about all your triumphs and helping where possible.
:D
Scott

Thanks Scott

Postby Dolly » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:10 pm

Thanks Scott,
You sound so wise. I guess deep down I know all the rules but long term (and we're talking years here) it gets to be such a strain.

You're right discussing fat melt down with others in the same situation can only boost our moral.
I love the words you said "It's about finding the right balance for us." how very true, what works for one person most often doesn't work for another.

So how does this weigh-in thing work,
do I have to start my own weigh-in thread just for my weight records
or do I just post my weight anywhere on any of the weigh-in threads,
or do some of the weigh-in threads belong to groups that chat frequently to each other?

Thanks for your motivational pep talk.
Each new day is day 1 for me (not that I break the food control, I just take things one day at a time)
Last edited by Dolly on Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Serena » Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:43 pm

Welcome aboard Dolly! I joined maybe a month ago and I did so at a time when I was particularly low and struggling to find the motivation even to get out of bed, let alone exercise. I've found this really helps because it's almost like I feel more accountable for my actions now. If I've got people who understand the struggles associated with losing weight who I can talk to and who won't judge me for my slip ups and and who encourage me to do the right things then it just seems to make it that much easier to get the things done that need to be done. I think you'll find joining was a good move.

With weigh-ins I think most of us do it on Thursday and generally there'll be a new topic for the week with the daye on it but if you're the first one to weigh-in for the week then just create a new topic.
Serena

Postby Maraver » Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:08 pm

Hi Dolly
Welcome Pam here from Adelaide saying Hi
I used to live in Perth and still miss it
I have been a bit down in the dumps lately
sick of being fat
and just can't find the motivation to lose weight
but I keep trying
please come and visit us often we are a good lot
and all help and try to motivate each other
where do you live in Perth I used to live in Thornlie
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby Dolly » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:54 am

Serena, you're so right about this place making me feel accountable. Yesterday I had already eaten 2 bananas and they tasted so yummy an hour later I went to grab a third for the day. I pulled myself up and said wait-up Dolores (Dolly is my nick name) what about your aussie weight loss team, you're accountable to them, you don't need that much potassium in your body and they don't want you to eat like a pig so let someone else have the 'nanna.
I felt so much better that I didn't indulge.
Thanks for the tip on how to weigh-in.

Pam, I live in the suburb of Leeming. I had a neice that lived in Adelaide for a couple of years. She's now living in Tropical Darwin
Darwin is such a clean beautiful city but has too many frogs and crawly bugs for my comfort.
I hope you get your motivation to lose weight again soon (if you're like me it comes and goes)
I went to an engagement party a while back and the guy that got engaged sent everyone a photo of themselves at his party.
The photo was made into a thank you card with nice words of thanks printed over the face of it.
I noticed how the photo was stretched wide to fit the print sizing, I also noticed how fat I looked anyway.
As an incentive I blu-tacked the photo onto the computer so I can see daily that I have to change.

Dolly
Dolly

Return to Introductions