It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:53 pm

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Iceblu22 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:23 pm

Hi All.

I am trying to make a change both from the inside and out. I am a 24yr uni student and am tired of my low self esteem. I find that my weight is the way I measure my own worth and self esteem. I am a short person 5'1 so small changes show very quickly.

Like some of you I have done the whole works i)lipo ii)pills iii)starvation iv)fanatical gymming but of course the weight keeps coming back. I think I first started worrying about my weight in high school as I was a tomboy and didnt know how to dress well/pretty that kind of thing.

I guess I am asking for help as I am sick of feeling so low about my looks, over the years I have never been able to commit, binge drink, have a fluctuating weight. My low self esteem manifests itself as a very distored body image. I feel awkward in tops as I dont like my arms (unfortunately I am one of the people with fatter arms) since they are not toned. And since I yo-yo dieted I now have stretch marks which I find difficult to deal with. I guess I feel ugly when I look at myself in the mirror.....

Help! I feel that if I succeed in loosing the weight everything will get better. What do you all think? All help will be welcome. I want to feel pretty and confident, wear what I want and feel beautiful.

Thank you.

Postby soon2bayummymummy » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:33 pm

hey and welcome, im 5'2 so i know the feeling of every kg showing. for so long ive relied on the scales in the morning and night that decided how i feel but only to lose the cm's first and still feel bad as the kgs werent coming off, its easy to rely on thinking that when u get to ur gol weight everything in life will fall in place and i hope thats does for, wishing u all the luck u need to get to ur goal weight.

Postby Iceblu22 » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:20 pm

Thank you, lets see how I go.....

Postby GoddessInside » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:54 pm

Hi there !

Firstly, please allow me to say that everyone is beautiful regardless of how much they weigh. I know it is really hard to love ones self when our confidence is low, Im sure Im safe when I say, most of us have been there.

I want to wish you all the very best on your journey, If you need anything at all just holler out :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg

Postby milkyway » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:58 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I was saddened when I read your story :( I truly hope this weightloss journey of yours helps you separate your self image from your body image. You are just as special at your highest weight as you are at your goal weight. I can understand the confidence thing for sure. All the best!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby Juddy » Fri Dec 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Although I haven't tried lipo (but was considering a small procedure recently) I have tried diets, pills and starvation...

None of the above helps in the long-term.

I know people who have lost a large amount of weight then put it all back on after "they've finished"... which is where the problem is.

Maintaining your weight takes a lot of careful monitoring and you have to still watch what you eat... in fact, this should never stop - you have to always watch what you eat.

From the weights you provided, you don't seem to be far from your goal. Now this is exactly what you need to focus on: "I'm not far from my goal, stick to it!"

Don't starve yourself, you must "keep your engine running" so to speak... the engine being your metabolism. When you STOP eating, your body will think that there isn't food around, and will slow down your metabolism until you eat again.

When you DO eat again, it'll make the most of the food because it'll assume there won't be much food for a while.

So what to do? Exercise and get on a long-term diet... this might involve going to a nutritionist who can set out a diet for you, just let them know you want to lose 10 kilos over a certain period of time.

Or you could try things out yourself - eat low-carb foods and do fat-burning cardio exercises such as walking or intervals.

Postby LookingGreat2008 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:04 pm

Well done for taking action now. I recall the same experience when I was at Uni, however it has taken me a few more years to get serious.

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:16 pm

Welcome aboard :D

I've always suffered low self esteem and felt my worth was measured by my weight.

I'm 25 now, and the past few years i've come to realise that my weight is not a reflection on the person that I am.

For the first time ever I am losing weight to look after my body, look better and feel better, rather than lose it because if I don't i'm nothing.

All the best for your journey, you will get there and we will all be cheering you on along the way!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Return to Introductions