It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 2:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby bigfella25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:31 am

I found this forum from Google and thought it would be a good place to ask for help. Like many people my New Years resolution is to lose weight.

Using the set of scales in our bathroom (probably not accurate) I'm currently 125kg, down from 135kg six months ago. I'm 190cm and have always been a solid build, but put on a lot of weight when I finished high school and stopped playing sport several nights a week.

I don't know what sort of goal to set, is 1kg per week too little? Surely this would be easily achievable to begin with?

I'm hoping to apply for the Police at the end of 2008 so I have plenty of work ahead of me.

Anyway, lots of reading to do tomorrow!

One final question, should I visit my local doctor and discuss my weight loss? Will he refer me to a dietician or nutritionist?

Postby bigfella25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:32 am

Damn, edits are disabled.

I'm a 25yr old male btw.

Postby Mummyof3 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:04 am

Hi there bigfella, welcome to the forum...

losing 1kg a week is pretty normal when you start weightloss, and sometimes even more kg's usually, but then after most of the water retention has gone you will notice that it may slow down, but does not mean that you are not losing weight....
I am more of a measurments chick... not to fond of the scales at all....

Good luck with getting into the police force, with regular exercise and by cleaning up your diet, I am sure you will do well....There is heap and heaps of great support around here, so you have come to the right place, start up a weightloss journal for yourself, and start achieving......

"You must begin to think of yourself as becoming the person you want to be."

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:23 am

Going to your doctor is an option, I guess it depends on how much outside help and support you want. If you feel competent to put together and eating and exercise program, then save yourself some money, but if you feel you need the extra help, then by all means go for it!

I think 1-2kgs a week is quite normal to begin with, then its around .5-1kgs a week after most of the excess has come off.

Best of luck on your journey!
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!

Postby chubbywife79 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:31 am

Hi and welcome to the forum, Good luck on the weightloss and getting in to the Police!

Postby Mandie » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:06 pm

Hey there bigfella - depending on the regime you do, you should aim at losing 0.5-1kg per week. As you get closer to goal, you will probably lose a bit less each week, but as someone else has already said, you should do some measurements.

Exercise is REALLY important along with diet, because if you build muscle, you will increase your metabolism and you'll also get more toned.

Regarding the doctor - it's a really good idea to see your GP if you are starting out and you're not sure how to go about it. They can refer you to a dietician who can give you some good ideas - it shouldn't be too expensive, and if you have private health insurance that will often cover some of it.

Best of luck!

Return to Introductions