It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:18 am

Free Newsletter

Hello from a Newbie

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello from a Newbie

Postby wombat » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:12 pm

Apologies for the not-so-original subject line.

In any case, hi! I'm an eighteen-year-old student from Melbourne and I'm going to start my second year of Uni at the end of Feb.

Over the last couple of years I've focussed heavily on my studies. Whilst this approach has more than payed off academically, I've found that my body and fitness levels have suffered as a result. During exam time a few months ago I realised that I simply wasn't happy with the way I was looking. Upon hopping on the scales, I realised that I had reached a weight of 68 kg, which is over 10kg more than I had weighed only a couple of years ago.

Feeling rather self-conscious and horrible about this neglect of my health and fitness, I started an exercise regime as soon as exams finished. I started doing between 5 and 10km per day on a cheap and somewhat rickety elliptical strider, and forced myself to finish off with 50 star jumps and approximately 150 skips with a rope. After being on summer holidays for a couple of months, I had brought my weight down to 61kg and a size 12. This result left me relatively content for the time being.

However, today I'm feeling very bloated and unhappy, having spent the last week on holiday away from my exercise machine and in the company of numerous Christmas gift stockings full of chocolate and lollies. Although there is no huge difference on the scales, I feel lethargic and unhealthy.

As such, I did a quick search and found this forum. Reading the inspirational stories on here has inspired me to pursue my fitness regime with renewed vigour, so that hopefully I can get down to my desired weight of 56kg by the time that Uni starts again. (My first move was to give away my last chocolate bar to my very grateful little sister.) :)

Anyway, sorry about all that blathering but I just needed an outlet somewhere and this forum seems like a wonderful, friendly place to discuss weight loss issues. Thanks for listening and I can't wait to get to know you all. Best of luck with all of your own dieting/fitness programs!
wombat

Postby Chrissie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:00 pm

:D hello Im a newbie too, only joined a couple of days ago. Have started my new year with a committment to quit smoking and lose weight. I am on day 3 and have had no cigarettes and no junk food. I have also exercised for 30 minutes each day...so I am hoping to stay motivated.

All the best to you and your journed...Happy new year too!

Cheers
Put yourself last and you will achieve nothing. Make time and believe in yourself and you will be amazed what you can achieve
Chrissie

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:57 am

Well, this is the right place to come for support, that is plentiful here. Good Luck with the loss. :D
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Fiona25 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:15 am

Welcome aboard Wombat :D
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby milkyway » Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:18 am

Hi Wombat and welcome aboard. Congrats on your weightloss to date. You CAN do this. With about 2 months to go before uni, you should be getting really close to your goal weight by then. Best of luck :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KimE » Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:16 pm

Hi Wombat and welcome to the forum.

:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby chubbywife79 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:18 am

Hi and welcome to the forum. Your find all the support you need to lose the extra weight here.
chubbywife79

Postby Juddy » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:35 am

Welcome and good luck with your mission :)
Juddy

Postby ellecee » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:37 am

Hiya wombat,

welcome to a great support forum!

all the best to you :)
SW: 142.4 - Nov '07
CW: 119.2
GW: 75.0

4th mini goal: 115kg - Pandora Charm
~ I am one workout stronger than yesterday ~
ellecee

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:46 am

Hi Wombat! I know what you mean about study affecting your weight. During my two years at TAFE and four years of an undergraduate degree I managed to pile on 15 kg. And even when I noticed the weight creeping up it was really hard to do anything about it. It's not like weight-loss can take top priority when getting good grades is so vitally important! It's a good plan to lose what you can during the holidays. Good on you and good luck! May I ask what you are studying?
EvilWombatQueen

Return to Introductions