It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:30 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello I'm Lyla

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello I'm Lyla

Postby lyla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:25 pm

Hey..

my name is lyla and i'm about 59kg.. my weight goes up and down alot but my school formal is at the end of june and i want to be around 49kg by then and my parents won't buy me any special food and i'm finding it so hard to loose weight but i'm going to be so depressed if i'm fat at my senior formal...

so i'm new here and i want to know the go and advice on loosing weight healthily?
lyla

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:47 pm

Hi Lyla,
welcome to the forum! There are lots of good tips on this forum and lots of support. I think the best way to lose weight is through a lifestyle change which incorporates healthy food and exercise. You don't need to buy special food in terms of "diet" products. I have achieved my loss so far by focussing on unprocessed foods (eg fruit and veg and cutting right down on bikkies and chips etc) and reducing the amount of food I eat as well (portion control) and really looking at the amount of fat and sugar I consume. As a result our (my bloke and I) butter and sugar use has quartered and our cheese usage halved. :shock:

Also, I have increased my exercise. I started out doing around an hour of walking a day, and tried to make that every day. Then I started jogging. I also play badminton and do the occasional few sets of situps, pushups and leg lifts. I have recently bought myself a bike too and am riding to and from work 3 days a week which ends up being around 2 hours whenever I ride. I think exercise really helped me by toning muscle so I'm not all flubberry, and that also helps to burn fat as muscle tissue burns more energy just sitting there than fat tissue does.

I've been losing on average a kilo per week which I think is a healthy rate of loss.

Good luck in your weight loss quest. I think it's great you're starting now as you should be able to lose 10kg quite comfortably in the time you have before the end of year!!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:04 pm

Hi Lyla,
Welcome to the forum.
Tegan is right, basically just cutting down on fat, sugar and foods with flour is a good plan.

this site might help you - http://www.mypyramid.gov/mypyramid/index.aspx

If you need to convert the allowed amounts shown, here's a calculator - http://www.onlineconversion.com/weight_common.htm
Dolly

Postby lyla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:32 pm

thanks heaps for that

but i have another problem which is the fact that my parents won't make me anything else for dinner other than what they have and it's sometimes a bit of a problem to ask them to buy me certain foods..

what do you suggest i do?
lyla

Postby jaydees » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:54 pm

I was the same.my mum made me eat what every one else was eating.i went vegitarian for 3 years and used to eat all my vegies and leave the meat and then i decided to eat only chicken and fish and i would only eat breast meat and no skin.i have a friend with a 15 year old daughter and she recently lost 8 kilos by just cutting down what she was given to eat.her mum only cooks fried food etc and she execised also.she looks good now.try and cut down meals a little and do more active things.u will get there.goodluck
jaydees

Postby lyla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:57 pm

cause mum always talks about how i have to loose weight but she forces me to eat all that stuff..

and she won't let me go veggo.. cause i really want to as i don't particularly like meat and i have issues on how the animals are treated but she won't let me...

i think i'll just try and do what you suggested
lyla

Postby Dolly » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:07 pm

In that case you have to change your plan.
When my daughter reached 16 she asked me to serve her half of what I normally serve her. I said okay but still gave her a fairly large serving. She then got up from the table and put HALF of what I had given her onto a smaller plate then put it in the refrigerator.
I argued that it wasn't enough for her to eat.
She informed me that none of her girlfriends mothers over load the plate the way I did and that anyone eating that much food would become overweight.
I ranted and raved and cried but she just ignored me.
The next day was a similar affair. She put aside half of what I served her for anyone else to use for lunch the next day.
It took about 4 days but I finally learned my lesson and served a decent amount.
Some of us mothers that have been brought up with large servings and been taught to eat everything on our plate take a little longer to change our ways.

At breakfast you could have something like 1 cup of plain skim yogurt and 1 chopped up peice of fruit and maybe a porridge sachet.
Last edited by Dolly on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby lyla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:07 pm

i'm quite a small frame as you can probably tell by my weight because i look quite chubby and i'm only 59kg...

this time last year i was 49kg.. and i had a little bit of fat around my stomach and arms but i was quite happy with that because i was healthy...

i hope i can do this!!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
lyla

Postby lyla » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:10 pm

Dolly wrote:In that case you have to change your plan.
When my daughter reached 16 she asked me to serve her half of what I normally serve her. I said okay but still gave her a fairly large serving. She then got up from the table and put HALF of what I had given her onto a smaller plate then put it in the refrigerator.
I argued that it wasn't enough for her to eat.
She informed me that none of her girlfriends mothers over load the plate the way I did and that anyone eating that much food would become overweight.
I ranted and raved and cried but she just ignored me.
The next day was a similar affair. She put aside half of what I served her for anyone else to use for lunch the next day.
It took about 4 days but I finally learned my lesson and served a decent amount.
Some of us mothers that have been brought up with large servings and been taught to eat everything on our plate take a little longer to change our ways.

At breakfast you could have something like 1 cup of plain skim yogurt and 1 chopped up peice of fruit and maybe a porridge sachet.

for breakfast i usually have either a bowl of muesili or vegemite toast

another problem is the fact that i also have a break at morning tea and lunch for school and i'm always starving when i get home
lyla

Postby Dolly » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:15 pm

Have a large piece of fruit for your morning and mid afternoon snacks. Having protein at morning noon and dinner will stop the food cravings. for example at breakfast have some yogurt at noon have 2 hard boiled eggs and dinner have a serve of protein the size and thickness of the palm of your hand.
Protein always seems to take the hunger pangs away.
Dolly

Postby jaydees » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:28 pm

could u make a big banana smoothie on skim milk milk when u get home and have a big hand of pop corn.that might get u through till dinner
jaydees

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:47 pm

All those suggestions are excellent. If you feel hungry, have a glass of water and wait 10 mins. If still hungry find a healthy snack such as some fruit or vege sticks - I always find an apple makes me full due to the amount of liquid in the juice and the fibre.

Dolly's suggestion about training your mum is a good one too. Don't be hard on her though, mum's usually just do what they think is best for their kids and she probably means well, but doesn't quite understand what she's doing. Eg - my mum used to always tell me I should lose weight and that I would get as big as a house. That just made me feel terrible and since she had no suggestions as to how I should achieve it, it didn't do me any good at the time.

Maybe try chewing slower and putting your knife and fork down between bites at dinner so that by the time you have eaten what you think is an ok amount, your mum would have finished hers too so it won't be as obvious that you're leaving half your food.

And don't forget to exercise - if your mum is going to be really hardline about making you eat dinner that you think you shouldn't, you can always compensate by doing a little additional exercise
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Angel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Lyla,

I had the same problem when I was at high school so Mum cooked for the rest of the family and I cooked my own meals.

Could you ask your Mum if you can cook your own meals or maybe you could offer to cook for everyone a few nights a week - your Mum would be silly to refuse a night off cooking!

Good luck.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby carleyjt » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:10 am

An option i use sometimes when dinner is not exactly healthy is i eat my breakfast for dinner and eat my dinner for breakfast so there is more chance of it being burnt off during the day. Sounds weird i know. If your mum asks why you are doing it you can say that you think better at school when you have a full stomach or something like that. Just a thought.

Anyway, hi and welcome and will see you around the forums :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby lyla » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:02 pm

i'm really scared :cry:

i'm getting really fat and i think i've gotten fatter...

i neeeeeeeeeed help!!!!!!!!!
lyla

Next

Return to Introductions