It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:13 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi everyone

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi everyone

Postby Skyelee » Sat Mar 25, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi all - my name is Skye and I have just become a mum for the first time. I have a beautiful 5 week old daughter named Shannyn, but as any new mum can attest, the weight can hang around. I put on 17.5 kilos and have lost 12, but need a bit of help and support to lose the rest (plus a bit more I hope!! :wink: )
I think anyone who is here has already shown a willingness to commit to their weight loss journey, and I hope to be inspired (and be able to inspire).
My first question would be to other mums out there - any tips for staring to budge some of this weight hanging around?
Sorry for the long post, I appreciate any feedback
Cheers, Skye

Postby Groovychic » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:01 pm

Hi Skye.......congrats on becoming a mum. I bet your daughter is just beautiful. Welcome to the forum. You will find it very rewarding. The first thing to remember whilst trying to lose weight is that if you are breastfeeding you must be careful. Make sure you are drinking at least 2 litres of water a day. After having my son.......uuuuummmmm nearly 11 years ago!!!!..... I lost more weight than I had put on while pregnant. I put on 20kgs while pregnant then lost the rest while breastfeeding over the next 9 months, plus another 6kgs. Which bought me back to a very respectable 58kgs. If you avoid as much junk as possible, drink a lot of water, and go for a walk for at least 30 mins a day, then I think you will find you lose the weight. Just think about what it is you are about to eat before you eat it. Plus you can remember, as I am sure you did whilst pregnant, that what I am putting in my mouth has to be what is good for my baby as well. If you're not breastfeeding, then you might have to bump the exercise up a tad more. But really weightloss comes down to healthy eating and plenty of exercise. Plus your baby will love the walks as well.

Keep Smiling!!!

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:06 pm

My tip is to walk (not too much as you're only 5 weeks post partum).My daughter is 8 months old and I have lost 30 kg (baby weight plus 5 kg) also how are you eating? If you are breastfeeding you will still need to eat normally but if not reducing your calories by 500 out of what you need should help... I'm not sure that is right but for a start that's what I did.

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi Skye,
congratulations on your baby! As I don't have kids, I can't gove you any tips on that, but in general, just persevere with it and I'm sure you will get to a healthy weight!

35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Dolly » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Hi Skye welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard

Postby Ed » Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:48 pm

Hi Skye,

Congrats and welcome aboard.

You might find this article interesting: ... t-loss.htm

I look forward to reading about your weight loss success.

Ed. :D

Postby Fairie » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:06 am

Hi Skye,

Welcome and Congratulations, a beautiful daughter to love and cherish. Enjoy all the wonderous things she will share with you as she grows.

I am sure you will loose those last few kilo's by taking her for some nice walks. :D

Postby Angel » Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:21 pm

Welcome Skye,

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. What a special time.

I don't have kids but if it were me, I would start by cutting out all junk food and highly processed food, you know, go back to basics, drink lots of water and eat fruit, vegies, brown rice, wholemeal breads and lean proteins, things that are nutritious - great for baby and you. And if you have the energy, a 30 min walk daily, or if its hard to get out the house, an exercise dvd - one for new Mums, that target those 'problem' areas.

Look forward to sharing your weightloss journey,

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:35 pm

Welcome Skye and congrats on the new arrival .I found after the arrival of my son (now 2)walking was best for me not only did it get me out of the house but pushig the pram sure doe work those arms . My advice would be to take it slow ,Little by little to help gain some strength back . Some one once told me it takes 9 months to have a baby and another nine months for ur body to be back to full strength again . Good luck
Cheers Jules
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Return to Introductions