It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:40 am

Free Newsletter

Hey, another newbie!!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey, another newbie!!

Postby mango_monkey » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:38 am

Hey guys!
So, I'm new to the site, but quite like it... I'm not new to the whole weight loss/health gain thing though - I've been trying my whole life!

I am thinking though, It's about time I get my bum into gear, and get serious - it's no fun being the biggest of your group of friends, of your uni class, or in your workplace!! I've got plans for about this time next year, so thats the time I'm aiming for to be at goal, now all I need is to find a plan that suits me, and get into some exercise... Although, there's so much information out there, I'm not really sure where to start!!

Any ideas?
Thanks a heap!!

Re: Hey, another newbie!!

Postby MagicGirl79 » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:25 am

Welcome to the site. Don't be overwhelmed by the amount of info here - just take your time sift through all the posts etc and eventually you'll find a program/idea that will suit what you're looking for.

As for exercise, if you're new to it - going for a 20-30min walk 3 times a week is great place to start.

Postby Mandie » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:54 pm

Welcome aboard!

The key to successful, sustained weight loss is to make a lifestyle change - no fad diets, no crazy gimmicks - just good old fashioned healthy eating and exercise. You can try calorie counters such as CalorieKing ( to get an idea of what and how much you should be eating.

Keeping a food diary is an excellent way to keep yourself on track!

Start with increasing your incidental exercise - get off the bus a stop early, walk to the shops, take the stairs at work.. this all adds up! Then try for "sessions" that are 20-30 minutes long, 3 times per week. You should gradually increase this until you are doing at least 30 minutes daily.

You should aim to lose 0.5-1kg per week, but remember as you go your weight will fluctuate and sometimes you will lose less than this. The key is to keep sight of the big picture and stay on track - and your weight WILL go down!

best of luck :)

Postby Tummygirl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:58 am

Welcome to the Forum Mango

I can all relate to your story of trying to loose weight all the time but you have come to the right place and its a great start.

Everthing that mandie said is fantastic .....just remember its because you want to do it and when your think it is getting hard, think of what your doing for your life!!!!

Good luck :D
Cassie xox

Starting Weight 140 kg
Loss To Date 5 kg
Current Weight 135 KG

Return to Introductions