It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:20 pm

Free Newsletter

Life as a 'chubby','well rounded', 'plump' teen. [I'm new]

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Life as a 'chubby','well rounded', 'plump' teen. [I'm new]

Postby vanessa » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:45 pm

Hey everyone!
Let me try to give you an introduction about me and why I decided to join this site. I'll try to keep it short, buuuut that's always kind of tough for me :P
This is my first time joining any sort of online community specifically about weightloss. I've been browsing sites about dieting and weightloss for a couple of weeks now, and unfortunately, I haven't found any to my liking. What I wanted from a site, was an outlet for me to rant about my frustrations on losing weight, chatting and listening to other people who understand what I'm going through and most importantly, finding an online community where I can have the support I need. Today when I stumbled on this site, I thought it was going to be another failure of a site (no offense :]) but I was pleasantly surprised! Even though this is an Australian site, I have a good feeling, or vibe as some might call it, about this site and I hope this will turn out to be the online community for me :)
Like my subject/title says, I'm a 'chubby', 'well rounded', 'plump' teen. I've always been 'big boned' as my dad calls me, and I never really minded being the cute chubby kid. But you know, when you grow up, puberty and being an adolescence catches up to you and you start caring about your image...
Before I continue, I should give you some basic info about me.
I'm currently 15 years YOUNG (haha). I'm from the freezer on the top of the world, Canada. No, I DON'T live in an igloo nor do I say 'eh' at the end of all my sentences. I guess one could say I'm a hyphenated Canadian. As in, I'm Chinese-Canadian. Most people tell me I'm mature for my age, and I'd like to think that I actually am. I love to talk and listen to people (Psychology, here I come!) and Art, English and History are among my favorite subjects. I am scientifically and mathematically shows in my grades too :P I am well liked by most people and I'm super friendly (so you SHOULD reply to this :D) I have a German Shepherd that my family and I adopted 3 years ago.......and I'm getting off topic.
ANYWAY, what I was going to say is, even though I have loads of friends and a pretty encouraging family, I can't talk to them about losing weight. They won't understand what I'm going through. My dad's a middle age business man who plays golf twice a week so he's in pretty good shape for a man his age. My mom used to be fat like me as a kid, but she slimmed down when she was 14-15 and has been thin ever since. My sisters are both on the swim team, so naturally, they're well toned. One of my sisters looks as if she could be anorexic, we're constantly forcing her to eat double portions on meals...but that's another story.
So I am the odd one out, the weakest link in our family. I'm TIRED of being bigger than them. I'm not exactly in the obese category which I am thankful about, but I know I am overweight. I am currently...150 pounds or so. I'm 167 cm. I have a roll of disgusting fat. I am scared of summer, knowing that people will see this flab on my stomache when I wear tank tops. I can't wear a bikini in fear of unsightly bulges. I want to be 120 pounds or less. my goal. I know it's going to be hard, but I want to lose 30 pounds by June. I'm crazy, aren't I? I've been exercising daily for the past month. I go to the gym every day and I do cardio for 35 minutes. Starting two weeks ago, I've also been doing exercises for my abdominal muscles. I haven't seen any change I am getting slightly discouraged. :( I like to eat...I can't help it. So dieting is really hard for me and I haven't ever managed to stick to a diet. You know, the stereotype that Chinese or Asians are always petite and slim do NOT fit me at all. I guess it's those damn Canadian food that I've grown up with.
Wow, I should stop typing. I warned you about me rambling on and on! This is almost getting to be a book, haha.
For those of you who managed to endure all this, I salute you. I actually really hope I get comments on this, it would be a self esteem booster and won't make me look so much of a loser for typing all this lol. Oh, and any advice or tips for easier/quicker/more affective ways to lose weight would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Life as a 'chubby','well rounded', 'plump' teen. [I'm new]

Postby Mandie » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:50 pm

Hi Vanessa! I was an overweight teenager myself, so I know how hard it is. Congratulations on making the first steps to losing the weight and becoming healthier!

A quick few tips - you MUST get the diet under control to lose weight - you won't achieve that much loss with exercise alone. Exercise is great for overall health and maintaining weight loss, and increasing your metabolic rate, but diet is key - if you're eating too many calories, you won't lose weight. Sites like are really useful in figuring out how many calories you're taking in, and how many you SHOULD be taking in. Diets don't have to be overly restrictive, in fact ,they shouldn't be - everything in moderation. But you do need to control your intake of fats and sugars in order to lose weight. Look around the home site (, there's some great info on nutrition there.

Secondly, you mentioned that you are doing cardio and you have just started some abdominal exercises. That's a great start. You should also incorporate some general muscle training for overall toning, and increasing your metabolic rate (which keeps the fat burning all day). You can't "spot reduce" so just exercising your abdominals won't give you a six pack - you have to lose the fat over the top first. If you do more exercises like lunges, squats, push ups as well as ab exercises you'll be on your way to losing more weight and toning all areas.

Best of luck :)

Postby losebabyfat_2005 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:26 pm

hey vanessa

Welcome to the forum. Although I wasn't overweight as a teenager I did have a little extra fat on my tummy. I joined this forum after the birth of my daughter and managed to get down to my goal weight in 5 months. You will get a lot of support on here and if you have questions for any of us, just ask :D

From Tanya 8)

Postby Tarz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:39 pm

Hi Vanessa and Welcome.

I so want to go to Canada, been to America many times but just can't get that bit further.... anyway.....

Diet is important, an easy way is to avoid highly processed foods and cut down meal sizes. Eat from a smaller plate. My problem when i lived at home with my family is we would all load up our plates and it would be like a race to finish and get seconds or you missed out. I had two brothers who were bottomless tanks and my mum made the best food ever!!! so you always wated seconds even if you were full.
I find now that eat half of what i used to eat and fill up a lot quicker.
Exercise wise it sounds like your off to a great start.
Don't get discouraged by not seeing results straight away. If your on this site your doing it properly so that you don't put it on again :) I'm only just seeing results and i have been doing this for 8 weeks (i think)
work hard and you WILL see results. I know you can do it.

Postby Cac33 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Hi Vanessa

Welcome to the forum. I think you have found what you're after in a forum. Here you can ramble on as much as you like, everyone is very supportive & give you a pick up when needed.

As the others have said it is important to diet & calorie king is a great website to help you get that under control too.

I look forward to reading about your progress

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70

Postby MagicGirl79 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:30 pm

Hey Vanessa - I was an overweight teen and it's carried on through into my 20's!! Trust me, you're doing the right thing getting it all under control now.

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find everything you're looking for here.

Postby vanessa » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:47 pm

Thank you SO much for the tips! I'm currently checking out and I'm going to try and start eating in moderation. Cutting down the food intake will be hard, but if it will help me lose weight, I'm all for it!

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm already beginning to feel the support and encouragement :] I hope I'll get to my goal as fast as you did too.

Canada is awesome! Much better than the States, I reckon :P I'm trying to eat healthier and I'm trying to cut down the size of my meals and snacks. Thanks for the encouragement!

Yeah, this forum is great! I can't believe how supportive and nice everyone is. I really feel I can achieve my goals now. I hope I'll be able to make good progress :] Thanks for the comment!

I hope I actually CAN get it under control. This forum will really help though. Thanks for the comment!

Return to Introductions