It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:12 am

Free Newsletter

Hi guys - new here too

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi guys - new here too

Postby elouise » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi guys,
I've never joined a weight loss forum before, but I definitely need the support, so here goes.
I've been overweight all my life. At one point I joined WW, but it didn't stick and I felt awful as I'd gone for 4 months and only lost about 5 kg.
When my fiance and I first got together I was about 120kg (my heaviest up to then). I vowed to never get above that, but slowly over the course of the 18 months we were together, I put on another 16.8kg. I blame his love of junk food and take away and my lack of will power. After a recent illness followed by the break up of our relationship, I've found I've lost over 6kg. I'd like to keep going.
I have rid my house of junk food (apart from the extra-light icecream hiding in the freezer that I would have to be pretty desperate to eat - it's terrible) and have been getting out more and doing things rather than sitting at home moping. I am about to start walking as I know from experience that the weight will not shift unless I exercise, no matter how much I change my eating habits.
So, some tips and motivation would be fantastic. I'm finding it pretty depressing that I still have over 60kg to lose.

Re: Hi guys - new here too

Postby Tarz » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi Elouise,

Welcome to the forum, i am sorry to hear about your breakup, that can be stressful and hard. Well done on the 6 kg you have already lost! Its great that you have rid your house of all junk food, makes it alot harder to blow out when your stressed and teaches you better habits. You will lose weight by adjusting what you eat and fixing portion sizes but you are better of to do the exercise and help it along, plus you will feel better if you get into the exercise.
You will find plenty of help and support on here, if you want some extra help on food go to it has so many handy tools and helps you work out portions.
I look forward to following your progress, anytime you need anything give me a shout!

Postby MagicGirl79 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:41 pm

Hi Elouise - welcome to the forum! I hope we can all offer lots of support and help you along the way.

I know that 60kgs seems massive to lose, it's easier to not look at the big picture but break it up instead. Aim for 10kg's at first and have a reward in mind that you will give yourself when you hit that 10kg's lost. It really does help to have little mini-targets along the way and if you reward yourself everytime then you won't even realise how quickly the bigger picture starts to melt away.

Postby Purpledog21 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi Elouise.
Welcome, i just thought i would send you message and let you know that im in the same boat of losing alot of weight like you. I know we can both achieve our goal weight. Everyone on the fourm is very nice and very helpful. If your wanting someone to talk to on msn or anything let me know it might be helpful for both of us.
Good luck

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Apr 22, 2008 11:00 pm

Hi Elouise,
Welcome to the forum! Just take things a step at a time and you will be surprised what you can accomplish!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby tania2573 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:22 am

Hi welcome and good luck with your goals.Same boat here as i have a lot to lose also but as everyone says break it up and its a whole lot better.I look at it this way,it has taken me 34 years to put the weight on so if it takes me 2 or 3 years to get it off ill be stoked. :)
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85

Return to Introductions