It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Greetings From Jo

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Greetings From Jo

Postby Joanne » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:21 pm

Hi Everyone

My name's Jo and I've joined this forum because I'm hoping it will motivate me in my continual battle with my weight and I hope to get a few tips and suggestions too.

I'm think I'm about 12kg over weight and have recently found out I've got super high cholesterol which is partly hereditery I think, but the fact that I have never had high cholesterol in my life until I put on so much weight means I have to do something about it.

I'm one of those people who have always had to work at maintaining a healthy weight. Not one of those people who can eat what they want and not do any exercise.

I recently moved from SA to QLD and that seems to be when my weight issues started. Not that I'm blaming QLD for it, but I think I used the move and all the hassles associated with it as an excuse to not do any exercise and eat alot of take away because I was always tired, or un packing, or didnt have time etc, etc.

Now I've found that no matter what I do, I cant seem to lose any weight at all. In fact, it feels like I'm getting slightly bigger every week no matter what I do (and no, I'm not pregant... 6 negative tests later before I stopped panicking about that :lol: ) I seem to be getting bigger. Shirts I bought 3 months ago dont fit me anymore!

I've changed my diet to compensate for the cholesterol issue but all I really had to do was cut out nibble foods like chips. I dont really eat much chocolate and only eat cake now and then so it wasnt too hard to cut that out either and I exercise every night but it doesnt seem to be working.

I'm starting to get very despondent about it which is why I thought I'd join a forum of some kind in the hope that it motivates me to keep trying because honestly sometimes I feel like giving up. I'm trying so hard to lose weight and not getting anywhere that I think sometimes why am I bothering?

I'm getting married in February and even though I dont need the extra motivation to lose weight because I already dont like the size I am, I especially need to lose weight for that. I tried on a few dresses last month and after the 3rd shop I didnt even want to try on anymore because none of them came in my size because, as one lady said, "we dont generally have sample dresses that big, we'd need to order it in".

Im sorry for the long winded post. I think I just needed somewhere to vent all my frustrations because my poor fiance hears it all the time and he's 6'5", eats like a horse and complains because he cant gain weight :?

I think what's upsetting me the most is that no matter what I do I just dont seem to be getting anywhere, so any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for listening
Jo :)

SW: 80.9 (July 10, 2008)
GW: 64

Re: Greetings From Jo

Postby Cac33 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi Jo & welcome to the forum. I know what you mean about moving interstate & gaining weight. I moved from NSW to QLD last year & it was an emotional rollercoaster but I'm settling in & slowly loosing weight which was well over due.
Where abouts are you in QLD? I'm in Hervey Bay.

Good luck with your journey & your upcoming wedding. I look forward to reading your progress.

Cass :D

SW: 108.3 (4Feb08)
CW: 96.1
GW: 70

Postby Joanne » Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:01 pm

Thanks Cass.

I moved up here with my then boyfriend (now fiance) and I struggled alot more than I thought I would at first. And even though I knew we were eating too much junk food I thought i'd be ok because normally I can lose it once I start exercising but it just hasnt happened yet. I think I was expecting more of an instant result.

I live at Mt Gravatt which is about 20 mins south of Brisbane.

I miss daylight savings :( . Used to go for a one hour walk everynight in SA.

SW: 80.9 (July 10, 2008)
GW: 64

Postby Strawberry » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:36 pm

Hi Jo & welcome!
this forum is great for inspiration & motivation. i myself joined 4 the support cos i'm sick of being my own cheerleader, i must say the support is great & i've become addicted 2 this site. Another good benefit- keeps my mind occupied so i'm not constantly thinking about food or wanting 2 eat food!
i'm like u in the sense that my diet isn't made up of junk food - my portions & eating too much throughout the day caused the weight gain. now i'm watching my portions & hoping 2 see some great results even if not in weight loss lol.
looking forward 2 reading your post!

Postby tania2573 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Hi welcome to the forum and good luck with your goals.You will get lots of support and motivation here. :)
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85

Postby rubyredhen » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:06 am

Hi Jo
Wow you sound like I have been for the last year and a half. I have poly cysic Ovaries and a metabolic hormones are all over the show.
Have you had test for PCO? If not I would push to have it done. I take metformin three times a day and it helps me from putting any more weight on. So now it is burning the fat 10-12kgs I want off from before.
II was exercising and eating a balanced diet and was putting on!!!!

I would highly reccommend ladies that are having trouble and can't understand why they aren't losing to get there GP to refer them to a Endocrinologist

You are your own best advocate Jo :D

Postby hippy_shake » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:33 am

Hey Jo,
Welcome to the forum! Just wanted to say I can empathies with you having a fiance who can't put on weight, and sometimes it is hard (for him to understand, and you to feel ok weight wise sometimes). I'm getting married in November and my lovely fiance Chris is as skinny as anything :P But I know that you are going to find tonnes of support through the forums, I certainly did and I think its been good cuz I don't have to talk to Chris *all* the time about weight loss stuff, and its good to get alongside people in a similar situation to yourself for advice and support.
Love, Jane
Jane :)

SW:80- 21/05/08

Return to Introductions