It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:45 pm

Free Newsletter

Newbie from Brissie

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie from Brissie

Postby Jenn89 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 2:01 am

Hi!

I'm Jen. I'm 19 and I'm overweight.

In the last 3 years I've put on 20 kilograms and I now weigh in at 97 kg. I'm unhappy, and most of my extra weight is around my stomach, which I know is unhealthy. In high school I never had a boyfriend, and I was painfully shy. I was never 'asked out' and because of my appearance, what i considered ugly and fat, I never had the confidence to ask anyone I liked. I live with my sister, and we're both in uni and horrible influences on each other when it comes to eating healthy. It's always 'Monday we'll start dieting,' or 'tonight will be the last night we binge eat.'

I'm in university at the moment, and I find that my weight is causing me difficulties having the confidence to meet friends, which makes the experience lonely.

At the moment my shopping basket would probably contain 25% things that could create a healthy meal, and 75% crap food. It shames me to say that sometimes when my sister or I can't be bothered to cook, we'll eat a bag of chips or lollies instead of dinner.

I've tried different fad diets, like shakes and ridiculously low calorie diets, but not being able to eat real meals, (or even solid food on some of the shake diets!) seems to unhinge me, and even if I tell myself it wont happen, I always seem to binge on food!

I'm terrified I'm going to end up with diabetes, even though I'm only young, as members from both sides of my family have recently discovered they have diabetes.

I've come to this website because I need a better support network when it comes to weightloss then I have at home, and where better to go then with people who have already been through what I am, and what I will go through on this journey.

If anyone has any tips for me, as a beginner of losing weight the healthy ways, PLEASE let me know! At the moment, I'll take anything on board!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wbjY6XK/]
[/url]

Do or do not...there is no try. :D

1st goal: 90 kg by 1/11
2nd goal: 80 kg by 22/12
3rd goal: 70 kg by 12/2
Jenn89

Re: Newbie from Brissie

Postby Shalimar » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:09 am

Hi Jen and welcome. Good luck in reaching your goals. There is a heap of support in here and always a kind word if your stumble along the way :) .

My two hot tips......1) do it for yourself and no one else and 2) I have found my little calorie/fat counter book invaluable- you can pick one up from your local newsagent or supermarket for $7-$8.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby ClareG » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:43 am

Hi Jen and welcome to the forum. I am just beginning my weight loss journey as well. I know what you mean about the shakes - they are so hard to stick to, and you begin to crave 'real' food. Something interesting - about a month ago, I went on shakes for a week, and lost 3.5kg that week. This past week, I stuck to under 1500 calories/day and walked a few times, and I lost 3.7 kgs. And, I ate real, healthy foods. (A few unhealthy ones too, but never went over 1500 cal/day). I much prefer this way. All you need is a calorie counter book and a pair of runners.
Good Luck with your journey. I hope this forum provides you with the inspiration and support you need. It has really helped me over the last week and a half.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGP41gj/]

~:~Clare ~:~
ClareG

Postby miranda*jane » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:52 am

WELCOME JEN!!

I had the bad eating problem when I lived with my sister also . . . though I am by no means blaming her for anything. I love my sister, she's the one that actually gave me what I needed to start my journey.

Good luck with everything!

<3 M
. . . when the rich wage war . . . it's the poor who die . . .
miranda*jane

Postby Jenn89 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:22 pm

ClareG wrote: This past week, I stuck to under 1500 calories/day and walked a few times, and I lost 3.7 kgs. And, I ate real, healthy foods.

Wow, thats great! Yeah, shakes are so boring. I've gotta say though, I admire anyone who has the willpower to follow through with them, because after the first few days I was sick of it! And wow, 3.7 kg in one week just by sticking to below 1500 calories! That's excellent!
[/url]

Jenn89

Postby mindy32 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi Jen,
Welcome, Im new here too. I think now we've decided we want to loose the weight, all we have to do is be determined and not give up!

So good luck on your journey, hopefully we'll all be able to help each other!

<3 Belinda
*****Belinda*****
'Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind'
mindy32

Postby Jenn89 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:55 pm

Hi Belinda!

Definitely. All we have to do is make sure that even if we have a bad day, we double our resolve to work on losing weight the next day!

Good Luck!
[/url]

Jenn89

Postby BeyondBeauty » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:48 pm

Hi Jenn, welcome to the forum!

I have a tip for you - if you find you are filling your shopping trolley with junk, prepare your menu for the week and the list of groceries you need before you go to the supermarket and resolve to only buy what is on the list. If you still can't manage to control yourself, why not order your groceries online? That way you don't "see" the crap food and aren't tempted to buy it.

If I were you, I'd sit down and have a good chat with your sister as well. Tell her your concerns and that you really need to do this, not just for self confidence, but for your health and wellbeing.

Eat well, you life depends on it!

Best wishes,
BB x x
Progress to first mini-goal, deadline: 30 December 2008!
To believe you can, is everything.
BeyondBeauty

Postby Jenn89 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:09 am

Oh wow! thats a bit of a coincidence, online shopping's just come to my post code, so yay! i did some food shopping today, and found the tip 'shop the perimeter' quite helpful. it means shop around the edge of the shop, cos thats where all the fruits and vege and meat and bread is. instead of the middle of the store with the chips, drink, etc. i found it really helped me today. thanks for the advice, BB!
[/url]

Jenn89

Postby STRIVE » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:25 am

Hi Jenn,
Nice to 'meet' you. It's great to see you online. I hope that you find this website helpful. I am also on quite a new weight loss journey and have found wonderful support in the people who are on here. I think there are so many ways to achieve weight loss, however, you need to work out what suits you. I am in no way an expert but, for me, I have found it important to -
1. Set realistic goals (even if they are just small daily or weekly goals)
2. Ensure that I have the support of those around me
3. Recognise when I'm likely to 'struggle' and have a plan of getting through it
I find that writing down some thoughts and ideas really helpful, even listing them on here to make you more accountable. It's what you feel comfortable with.
STRIVE

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:30 am

Hiya Hun and welcome. :)

My advice you have to be a Microwave steamer. I get lazy and dont feel like cooking so I have a nice meal with veggies that takes 6 mins in the microwave (I just cook for myself so I have a Small one), I also have small bits of meat which is super easy just to chuck under the grill (you gotta check it though).
I also have a Microwave Omlette maker, its nice too I make the omlette then fill it with. Veggies or Tomato and ham, and it takes about 10 mins to make.

Good Luck on your Journey!
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Jenn89 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:03 pm

Let me just say I know what you mean! I'm the laziest of cookers. I HEART the microwave vegies. and my george foreman grill. The best thing i've ever bought. It was only 50 bucks (on sale) but its so easy to cook with! but I'm curious about this microwave omelette maker. I love omelettes, but they're so annoying to make in the fry pan. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Jen
[/url]

Jenn89

Postby Shalimar » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:23 pm

I too, am curious about the microwave omelette maker, spill yoyo. Please :lol: .

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby yoyogirl88 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:15 am

Hehehehe. Go to any Big W its with the cooking things. Good Old Starmaid, and for your viewing pleasures. I also got a pic of my steamer too. ImageImage

:D :mrgreen: :D :mrgreen:
20 month old twins and a breastfed bubba. Busy mama!
Starting this time at 99.5
Current weight 97.9
yoyogirl88

Postby Jenn89 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:58 pm

oooh, thats got me excited now. i'm gonna go this week to big dub and get me one of them! :D
[/url]

Jenn89

Next

Return to Introductions