It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:40 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi guys :)

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hi guys :)

Postby Snowflake » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:45 pm

Hi there,
I have been reading this forum for a few weeks now and its really helping!!!!
I thought its time I post in here cause I'm almost feeling like I'm getting to know people by reading all these posts.
So a little about me, I'm a 24 Canadian girl living in Sydney.
I have been 70 kg for the past 4 years, haven't really moved up and down just hovered right there the whole time. Before that I once creeped up to 77 kg and had a big breakup with a boyfriend of 5 years and lost the 7kg and stayed that weight for 4 years, without really trying or doing anything special so I guess that's the weight my body likes to be?...
So i went back home for a few months and came back to oz and since then Ive been extremely stressed, having a terrible time finding work and just been generally pretty depressed! On top of that Ive done what most people do when they feel bad about themselves and I put on some weight.
I'm at 77kg again and feeling pretty miserable. So basically this time I dont want to lose the 7kg and go back to that same 70, I would like to get down to 63. I am 168cm by the way.
Ive been eating well and going to the gym almost everyday for the past 10 days, and that is longer than I usually last on a "diet" which I dont really like to call it...But im finding it really helpful to read this forum because I can relate to so many people and what everyone is going through.
Even today I went to the gym - walked because my boyfriend couldnt be bothered, by the way how hot is it in sydney today?? So after my workout I decided it was time to weigh myself. Ive gained 500grams? Instead of get upset and give up and come home and eat ice cream, I thought of the times ive read in here when people had the same issue and other people told them not to worry and applied it to my own thinking.
Anyways any input or advice would be GREATly appreciated!!! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w5WLHBp/]
Snowflake

Re: Hi guys :)

Postby starr22 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Hi snowflake :D Welcome to the forum. Good luck with everything, I'm sure you will reach your goal in no time, just stick with it, even when the going gets tough! I find when I'm having a weak moment, coming on here always makes m feel better and helps me make better choices too. Go for it hun :D you can do this!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqP0t7v/]
[/url]
starr22

Postby milkyway » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:13 pm

I know where you're coming from. I've put back on the 7kgs I lost plus another two. My goal weight is 62kg. Best of luck with your journey :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Snowflake » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Sounds like all three of us have roughly the same goal weight. How are you guys going with it?? xx
Snowflake

Postby milkyway » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:06 pm

Doing pretty good at the moment. I'm about 3kg down and feeling better for getting control of my eating and drinking :)
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Snowflake » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Hey thats awesome! Whats your eating/exercise plan?
Snowflake

Postby milkyway » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm

I've taken a vow of abstinence in January - no alcohol, no sugary snacks (e.g. chocolate, cake, biscuits, lollies, chips etc.), no junk food and no pepsi max. Instead, I am just focused on eating healthily and as natural as possible. A typical day is as follows:

Breakfast 1: protein shake with low fat milk and milo
Breakfast 2: miso soup or soybean and veggie soup with a half portion of brown rice
Mid morning snack: home made museli slice or boiled egg
Lunch: small serve of pasta, or tuna salad, or leftover stir fry
Afternoon snack: skin free chicken drumstick or 4-6 crackers with hommus/dip/salsa
dinner: stir fry with veggies and brown rice, or soup & brown rice, or big bowl of veggies with a bit of lean meat
pre-bed snack: protein shake

I may also snack on a few (literally a few - 6-10) raw cashews. I may also have a glass of fruit juice every other day. I've also had wholemeal toast with vegemite or crumpets with honey. I also make a yummy zucchini slice and snack on that instead of the museli bar or chicken drumstick.

Exercise wise, this is a typical week at the moment:

Mon: rest (I usually do a 2km walk with the dogs)
tues: Run 4.4km
Wed: Run 3.2km
Thurs: Run 5km
Fri: Rest (I usually do something though, even if it's just a walk)
Sat: Weight training and 2km walk
Sun: Long run, am up to 6+km and walk 4+km

As my running workload increases, I will up my food intake a bit. I'm really trying to eat as much protein as I can. I would like to do some more cross training, perhaps a spin/rpm class and a bit of swimming, but I can't find my bathers!

When I get closer to my goal weight, I'll stop being so strict on myself and gradually introduce a few yummy treats into my diet. I just feel that at the moment I need to allow myself nothing, otherwise I allow everythings, and then some. Hope that makes sense? It's all or nothing with me. I have to learn moderation. I'm not suffering though. I find i'm enjoying the 'competition' I've set up for myself and I'm really determined not to break my January pledge. And then results are worth it- losing weight AND feeling fantastic! :D

what's your plan snowflake?
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby Snowflake » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:27 pm

milkyway wrote:I've taken a vow of abstinence in January - no alcohol, no sugary snacks (e.g. chocolate, cake, biscuits, lollies, chips etc.), no junk food and no pepsi max. Instead, I am just focused on eating healthily and as natural as possible. A typical day is as follows:

Breakfast 1: protein shake with low fat milk and milo
Breakfast 2: miso soup or soybean and veggie soup with a half portion of brown rice
Mid morning snack: home made museli slice or boiled egg
Lunch: small serve of pasta, or tuna salad, or leftover stir fry
Afternoon snack: skin free chicken drumstick or 4-6 crackers with hommus/dip/salsa
dinner: stir fry with veggies and brown rice, or soup & brown rice, or big bowl of veggies with a bit of lean meat
pre-bed snack: protein shake

I may also snack on a few (literally a few - 6-10) raw cashews. I may also have a glass of fruit juice every other day. I've also had wholemeal toast with vegemite or crumpets with honey. I also make a yummy zucchini slice and snack on that instead of the museli bar or chicken drumstick.

Exercise wise, this is a typical week at the moment:

Mon: rest (I usually do a 2km walk with the dogs)
tues: Run 4.4km
Wed: Run 3.2km
Thurs: Run 5km
Fri: Rest (I usually do something though, even if it's just a walk)
Sat: Weight training and 2km walk
Sun: Long run, am up to 6+km and walk 4+km

As my running workload increases, I will up my food intake a bit. I'm really trying to eat as much protein as I can. I would like to do some more cross training, perhaps a spin/rpm class and a bit of swimming, but I can't find my bathers!

When I get closer to my goal weight, I'll stop being so strict on myself and gradually introduce a few yummy treats into my diet. I just feel that at the moment I need to allow myself nothing, otherwise I allow everythings, and then some. Hope that makes sense? It's all or nothing with me. I have to learn moderation. I'm not suffering though. I find i'm enjoying the 'competition' I've set up for myself and I'm really determined not to break my January pledge. And then results are worth it- losing weight AND feeling fantastic! :D

what's your plan snowflake?

Wow that all sounds pretty perfect! A lot of times I read peoples meal plans and im like WHOA I could never do that... but that actually sounds like something I could do.

I was pretty much eating absolutly anything I wanted for the past 3 months. Ok maybe more like 6. I mean having vegemite toast for breakfast with regular amounts of butter, then maybe some cereal a few hours later if I was feeling peckish, always high sugar like fruit loops or choco pops. For lunch anything I felt like - sometimes 4 sushi rolls, when I was working at a restaurant I would order something off the menu, perhaps a hamburger with chips or chicken parma. For dinner same deal if I was working, anything I felt like, maybe a restaurant portion of fettucinne matriciana, or risotto, if I was home we would make something like homemade pizza's, I have a weakness for pasta and could eat spag bol or anything with basil pesto on it every single night and im not talking the reccomended portion of it, im talking more like 2 or 3 times the size I should have had... Or my favorite thai green curry, butter chicken from time to time as well. The biggest problem I had was I was eating the same portions as my 6'2 boyfriend who can eat anything he likes and still remain 78kg's. Plus I was staying up way later than him because I wasnt tired from never exersizing and sleeping in because i had no energy, so I would eat an entire second dinner when he went to bed sometimes at 10 or 11 at night. So basically I never dieted the 4 years before now because I didnt go as crazy as I have been lately, and actually kept an eye on my weight and didnt gain anything, because if I had a huge lunch - I would have a light dinner! I guess thats what happens when your all loved up, because now I know someone loves me and im not single going out with my girlfriends every weekend dancing and shopping and socializing. Im at home cooking with my boyfriend and watching dvd's with a glass of wine!
Haha so anyways the reason im explaining that is because this time im a bit rusty in the dieting department and because im so out of shape its really hard, but I feel dramatically better already.

So everday tends to be a bit different, as im still finding my way. On average though it goes something like this
breakfast: A fat free yogurt and a banana
lunch: a salad with spinach and rocket, sweet potato, cucumber, tomatoes, peas, a boiled egg and fat free italian dressing (I have to admit its a pretty large salad but I figure its pretty much all veggies except for the one egg so I might as well fill up on them)
dinner: usually either baked chicken or white fish, steamed vegetables and brown rice. Sometimes rice noodles and a tin of low fat tuna, also have been eating some whole wheat pasta some nights with a protien.
snacks are usually rice crackers and low fat humous, or fruit, I have also been making some diet jelly and grazing on that through the day because its nice and cold in summer and only has like 12 calories or something.

Ive also gone from drinking no water to roughly 4 pumps a day

As for exercise, my work is a 20 minute walk each way from my house, so I walk both ways, then usually come home and play wii fit for an hour or so, then walk to the gym and back which is also 20 minutes each way. So usually an hour 20 of walking each day, the wii fit, and at the gym ive been mostly doing weights. I figure if im going to walk that much that im already getting in cardio everyday, so I do a circuit of the machines and some yoga and pilates positions on the mats, and free weights. If I go to the gym with the bf and he drives I will do 20-30 mins on the eliptical for cardio.
I have an appointment with a personal trainer tomorrow, so im going to ask heaps of questions about what I should be doing, cause I have no idea if im doing the proper amount of weight on the machines or the proper amount of reps...So hopefully this will help. Plus maybe I need to be doing more cardio because I havent been losing much weight at all. (1.4 kg's in 3 weeks) and I usually only take 1 day off a week and on the day off I am the same as you there I try to do something like go for a walk or play wii fit.

I also really want to start running but I just feel like im going to be terrible at it, maybe now that ive been working on my fitness so much running will become an option now. Ive heard that its the best way to get fit because it works on your core and entire body...

How do you go with the protien shakes? I used to have one for breakfast a couple years ago, and I felt like I was gaining weight? Do you think I was on the wrong kind or maybe I wasnt burning off the protien? I dont know much at all about them...
Snowflake

Postby warriorsgirl » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:58 am

Re: protein shakes, try to go for one wif a low carb count, bcuz u want to use the protein for energy and burn the carbs instead of the otha way around.
But make sure u get a good one that tastes great - sumtimes I feel like im about to vomit drinking/eating those things :(
warriorsgirl

Postby Gordz » Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:02 am

warriorsgirl wrote: sumtimes I feel like im about to vomit drinking/eating those things :(

i feel like that every time i have my protein... it adds to the fun!
Aussie Male, 26, 194cm.

Start date: 12/8/2013
Highest - 144.8kg

Current - 141.3kg

Goal - 110kg

3.5kg lost

31.3kg to go
Gordz

Postby milkyway » Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:57 pm

The protein shake I have is called 'Sculpt for Women' and it's chocolate flavour. I've tried quite a few and this was the most tolerable, but I make it even more tolerable by adding some milo. It's 92 cals and 18.5g protein per 25g serve (I only have a half serve per 'shake') It's low carb, not that I'm carb phobic, it just happened that way - I know I need a lot of carbs to fuel my body for the amount of exercise I do and I need the protein to help build and repair muscles, so any extra protein I can get is welcome :)

Your diet and exercise sounds really good. My biggest falldown is that I don't like raw foods - all I can tolerate raw is spinach (but not too much), tiny pieces of capsicum (they have to chopped up really small :roll: ) and grated carrot - makes for an interesting salad, eh? Throw in some wholemeal pasta and some tuna (preferably with chilli) and I reckon it's OK :)

1.4kg loss over three weeks is great :) That's a really healthy, sustainable loss, almost 0.5kg per week is what you should be aiming for anyway.

Where abouts in Canada are you from? I've been to Vancouver, Banff, Montral, Ottawa, Toronto and Windsor (:oops:) LOVED it. Mind you, that was back in the mid nineties!!!

Have you heard of the Couch to 5km program? It's a highly regarded running program that takes you from running nought to 5km in 9 weeks. http://www.c25k.com. You can download podcasts that talk you through what to do - i.e. when to run, when to walk. People rave about it. I started it but soon realised that I was actually fit enough to run 5km :shock: I just didn't believe it. At least the 2 weeks of doing the program taught me that :D

I'm sure you'll learn heaps from your personal trainer. I've learnt so much from the trainers I've had over the years. Shame I havne't always put it into practice... :roll:

Do you want me to move your thread from Introduction forum to the Personal Progress forum? Or you could start your progress journey over there (if you haven't already).
------------------------
GW 62kg
milkyway

Return to Introductions