It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:06 am

Free Newsletter

Looking down the barrel of size 18...ENOUGH !

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Looking down the barrel of size 18...ENOUGH !

Postby Gaia2 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:38 pm

Does this sound familiar ???
I started my first diet at 12 years of age (weight watchers)....that's 31 years ago now (you work it out) , and there began my bizarre career of serial yo-yo dieting.
In the interim years I have tried Gloria Marshall , Atkins , South Beach , Nushape , about 3000 different gyms , starvation , The Israeli Army Diet , Easy Slim.
As I look along my book shelf I see the Grapefruit Diet , The F Plan , The F2 Diet , Susan Powter , Protein Power , Cohen's Lifestyle Plan , The Fat Flush Plan , Low G.I , The CSIRO Diet , Simplicity (Fernwood ) , The Body Shaping Diet , The Curves Diet , Fats and Figures, Fit for Life....Oh God yes ..... Dr Phil (Is there ANYTHING that man doesn't purport to know about ?)
Let's not forget meditation, medication , spells , hypnosis , yoga , psychic advice and detoxing.
I'M EXHAUSTED FOLKS !!!!!!!!!
And here I am .....heavier than ever......
I simply CANNOT spend another year , or even another week ,at this weight.
The old joke about your thighs rubbing together and setting your undies on fire is not NEARLY as hilarious as it used to be , especially when the faced with the reality that IT MAY WELL HAPPEN !!!!!!!
So if I can throw myself at your mercy , and ask you lot what is working for you at the moment???????
As I have the attention span of a GOLDFISH , I need to see results relatively quickly ( say , at least a kilo a week)
Also , I HAVE been readng 'The Beck Diet Solution' which offers some good advice about the psychology of dieting , and instituting some behavioural changes to help weight loss. Good read.
Anyway , I would be deeply grateful for any feedback and help you all could offer.Good to be on board.
G. :D
JUST DO IT
Gaia2

Re: Looking down the barrel of size 18...ENOUGH !

Postby mumnbub » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:36 am

The first thing you need to get over is that you need to see results strait away and see a 1kg loss each time- This wont always happen! It is important to take things slowly, this is a lifestyle change, if you run at it like a bull at a gate you will fail. Take small steps, make small changes regually, slowly increase your exercise and before you know it the weight will be shifting.

There is no miricle cure for obesity- you just have to work at it. For me that means eating the right foods in small portions and exercising. Some weeks i dont lose anything other weeks i lose close to 2kg. you should be aiming to lose 500g to 1kg a week, this is a safe healthy weight loss amount.

Have you set yourself any goals? what is the weight you want to be, break it up into smaller lots (5kg works for many people) and just aim to lose that 5kg over the next 2 months or chose a specific date but keep it realistc. Write down a reward for achieving your goal (not food). When you have it all written down it does not seem that long away. even if it takes you the next 2 years it will be worth it and after so many years of yo-yo dieting 2 years is nothing

Ask yourself this one question:

"Do I want to lose this weight quickly and struggle for years to keep it off or do I want to make a lifestlyle change, lose the weight slowly and keep it off for life"
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby BigBasil » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:52 am

Hi,
Well, what could I say that you havent heard before? Perhaps at the age of 43 you should just look at size 18 and accept it. So long as you have a good heart, your cholesterol levels are within range and your diabetic levels havent peeked, then I would suggest that since you have spent most of your life fighting it and feeling miserable, accept it and just stay healthy.

Would this be so bad?

BigBasil :roll:
BigBasil

Postby electrongirl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 pm

BigBasil wrote:Hi,
Well, what could I say that you havent heard before? Perhaps at the age of 43 you should just look at size 18 and accept it. So long as you have a good heart, your cholesterol levels are within range and your diabetic levels havent peeked, then I would suggest that since you have spent most of your life fighting it and feeling miserable, accept it and just stay healthy.

Would this be so bad?

Well you are definitely not one to beat around the bush I see!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby electrongirl » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Gaia2,

The first thing you need to do before you even think about trying to lose the weight is to realise and accept that it takes alot of time and work.

It's not going to happen fast or easily. If it did we would all be thin.

The second thing is you need to be ready to make big lifestyle changes, but you don't have to do it all at once. Change 1 thing at a time if you think it will work better. It can be overwhelming if you do it all at once. And this usually causes people to give up.

Try changing just your food for a start. Get rid of all the bad food in your house except for 1 small treat that can be incorporated into your daily calories.

Also try Calorie King. It's free and a great tool to track your calories.

After a week or so with the food, try fitting in some exercise. Even if its a 10 min walk down the street to start off with. It's better than nothing. Gradually increase the time.

And thirdly if you feel like giving up, talk to someone. Come on here, establish a support network of people who understand.

We are all here to help!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby xlannalx » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:38 pm

im doing really well using the Optifast Diet (its so quick and convenient too) i recommend though that you take in a few extra calories at the moment I consume 800 calories a day and i naturally burn around 2,500+ , i have an optifast vanilla shake for breakfast, one for lunch, in the afternoon (a bad binge time) i have a banana and then i have a large bowl of veges (broccoli, carrot and cauliflower) with kraft vegie pourover to make it tasty at dinner time. ive been spacing it out and filling myself up with alot of water to make sure i physically feel full and consuming minimal calories! keep all the bad food out of your house, even if you think "oh ill keep this in pantry/fridge for when i deserve a treat" - im losing this weight while my partner is away for a couple of months and i have emptied my house of all foods except the optifast, veges, kraft, spices and of course the cats food (i hopefully will never get desperate enough to try that hahaha) and it really does help! so far ive lost almost 5kg and its only been just over two weeks (so i guess im on a average of around 2kg-2.5kg per week, fast enough results?) i also have the Windsor Pilates dvd pack and i do the 20 minute workout (which burns my stomach and thighs like crazy!) and it goes SO fast! sometimes when im feeling extra energetic ill do the 1hr Accelerated Body Sculpting workout - and the best thing is the whole of the workouts is done lying on the floor! haha, but boy do you feel your body burning! get a pilates dvd it really is great stuff! anyway thats what ive been doing to get results and hopefully you find the right thing for you because everyone is different and you just need to realise what your body needs and dont fight that just work around it.
xlannalx

Postby mumnbub » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:25 am

BigBasil wrote:Hi,

Would this be so bad?

I'm sorry but I dont think your ever to old to change your life for the better- If this is something she wants to do then it does not matter if she is in her 20's, 30's, 40's 50's 60's 70's.... Yeah people need to be realistic and weight loss should not consume a persons life but we are here to support people in their decision to lose weight and achieve their goals.
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Postby Gaia2 » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi All
And thankyou for your considered responses. As I said initially , I'm up for any input here , and there's a lot of good sensible advice there.
What I've settled on as game plan is ..........limiting carbohydrates ....mostly the white stuff....to keep everything as close to it's natural form as possible......no preservatives , colours , salts ......but I will not be limiting amounts at all....and will allow my appetite to assert itself...a `la ....'water finds it's own level'....then add a walk a day .......and hope for the best......
So far so good folks......3 kilos gone.....first weeks are always good though.....but I'm happy to apply LESS rules rather than MORE......and make it all simple and acheivable.....5 kilos at a time sounds like a fabulously acheivable thing for me ....thanks.
Big Basil....
I admire your notion of self- acceptance , if that's what we can call it , but at this point in time , age irrelevant, I need to feel better. I will not be accepting my highest weight ever as the norm. I have succeeded before and will do this time. My approach will be different in that I will be putting MUCH more effort into my maintainance stage ....having LOST the weight ....focusing on KEEPING it off....THIS is where I go wrong historically.
Anyway , very glad to join you all.Hope to get hold of more of your gems of wisdom as I go on.
Good health.
Gx
JUST DO IT
Gaia2

Postby Shalimar » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm

Well done on the fantastic loss, and welcome to the forum.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby Gaia2 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Guys ,
Just checking in to see how all are going.
So far have lost 8.8 kg and feeling slowly but surely better.
I have discovered (yet again) today that exercise really DOES make you feel and look better.
Yes it is accepted wisdom that diet is the cornerstone of weight loss....but if you have back pain...walking .....want to speed up weight loss ?? ....walking...want more energy ? exercise.......universal panacea......
Hope you are all 'losing it' in ALL the right ways !!!
Gx
JUST DO IT
Gaia2

Postby Shalimar » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:00 am

Well done Gaia, that is a fantastic loss, you are doing well keep at it :D . Good luck.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Return to Introductions