It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:52 pm

Free Newsletter

Taking control of my future

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Taking control of my future

Postby Ra'naa » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:16 pm

Hi everyone I'm new.

I live in Brisbane with my amazing fiancee. best friend, three cats and a bird. I'm 26 years old and a student of nutrition/naturopathy, i have many varied interests so I won't list them all here.

Someone on another forum I am on pointed me here so that I can get some support on my journey.

I have known for a long long time that I needed to lose weight, in 2002 I attempted Jenny Craig and weighed in at 117kg since then I have been on the diet merry go round, I have tried no/low carb, Lite n Easy, weight watchers as well as a number of crash diets like the soup diet but I have never had the willpower or motivation to stay on a weight loss plan for more then a month or two in the past. That is changing now, today I refuse to live another day of my life just thinking oh well it will get better I'll even out eventaully, its time for me to take control and make the changes that I need to make so that I can get down to my healthy weight. Right now I weight 124kg.

I watched the biggest loser tonight and cried when it hit home that i weighed more then most of the girls on the show that was where I decided things have to change for me.I have lots of reasons I want to lose this weight but i'll list just a few of them here.

My reasons

1. I am getting married in twenty months and I don't want to be a plus size bride
2. I have been trying to conceive for three years (On and off) and have had three Miscarrieges that I suspect were partly caused by my weight. I want to lose some weight to increase my changes of conceiving before i go to the extreme of IVF or other fertility treatment.
3. I am studying Nutrition/Naturopathy, i know what I need to be doing to lose the weight and its time for me to do it, how can i ever expect a client/patient to take me seriously when i make diet suggestions if I am sitting there clearly going against my advice?

A little more on my background

I have struggled with my weight yo yo for years. Once upon a time many years ago I weighed 50kg (68 was my healthy weight) I was annorexic and I didn't care I thought that all that mattered in the world was being slim and then I started eating again, as my weight increased my eating disorder became a yo-yo I would hate myself, starve myself again and eventually start eating again, over the years of this cycle my weight grew and grew and grew as my metabolism slowed down and my body went in and out of starvation mode. I can't say that I am completly over the eating disorder I don't think i will ever be 100% over it but I am now making myself eat every day because I know the damage I have done and don't want to do any more.

I also suffer from Chronic fatique syndrome and Bipolar disorder, the CFS makes it hard to find the energy to exercise and the bipolar meds are also hard on my weight but I know that I can do this.

My plan

Because i still struggle to eat normal meals every day I am using my nutrition education and combining what I know with Celbrity slim. I like CS it tastes good, not too expensive and is closest to the percentages of carbs/protein/fat that I have been taught then any other diet. I am not sticking to it 100% though as when I worked out the amount of Kj a day I would eat on CS I found that it was about half the amount that I should be on for weight loss at my weight (looking it up i textbook and also lite n easy kj) so to my morning and lunch shakes I am adding 5 ml flaxseed oil (each shack) it gives a little more Kjs a day and flaxseed has so many benefits that i refuse to take it out of my diet despite the fact that it is 100% fat. Too both morning and lunch shake I am also adding a piece of fruit or piece of toast or something else small to add some more calories and too bring the carbs percentage closer to what I have been taught is healthy for my body type and weight. With those little additions as well as a balance dinner and my morning and afternoon snack i will be eating a healthy amount of calories to avoid going into starvation mode and a good ratio of protein/carb/fats.

With the CSF it is hard for me to exercise my goal is to attempt 3 ten minute sessions on the wiifit everyday and if i have the energy go for a 30 min walk in the evening.

So thats me. I look forward to getting to know you all.

Re: Taking control of my future

Postby MagicGirl79 » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:15 pm

Hi Ra'naa!

Thanks so much for sharing your story with us. Sounds like you've had a long and varied life in regards to weight loss and you've now made the choice to do it the healthy way.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey and if you need help with anyway, just ask.

Postby Sallyslim » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:04 pm

Good luck with your weightloss journey Ranaa

Postby PepperCalendar » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Good luck Ranaa.

I'm sure you will also have plenty of advice for us, since you are doing a nutrition course 8)

Postby Alexandra » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:10 pm

You have had a lot to contend with and I take my hat off to you! Your plan sounds really good and achievable! I love your header "taking control of your future" ..that sounds exactly like what you are doing - congratulations on such a great step! This sounds like you're about to tear it up. Getting married, that's so exciting, wow! Good luck with everything, especially your weight loss goals, you can do it! Well done on taking these steps! Best wishes, Alexandra :D

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg

Return to Introductions