It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello, I'm new here and kinda shy

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello, I'm new here and kinda shy

Postby narjoy » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:02 pm

Hello I'm new here and kinda shy. This is my story:

I've yo yo dieted since I was around 14 yo, I'm now 43 yo, married and 2 teenage children. I've tried almost every diet known to man, and even some that aren't! When I was 16 my mum took me to a dietician, who proceeded to put me on a range of medication, which worked but only for the short term. I then tried Weight Watchers, but found the weekly weigh-in in front of everyone else embarrassing and degrading. I have now joined Jenny Craig but finding it tough going, physically, mentally and emotionally. I also suffer from depression, a low self esteem and really negative body image. When I weigh in each week, and I've lost weight, I'm on top of the world, but when I weigh in and I've GAINED weight, no matter how small, I tend to spiral out of control, and beat myself up terribly. I've had a really bad week, having GAINED 1.6 kg last week, and I wasn't impressed. I'm walking like mad, drinking buckets of water, and eating the food my consultant gives me, as well as lots of salad, and I STILL gain weight. I started my program at 123.2 kg, and am now at 116.9, but it fluctuates from week to week.

I was almost ready to not just give up my program last Wed, but also to kill myself I was so damn depressed. I have a wonderful husband who is incredibly supportive, and although he tries, I make it damn hard for him. My ultimate goal on the Jenny Craig program is to get to at least 65kg, even though medical charts tell me my ideal weight for my height (5'1") is between 50-55kg.

I'm frustrated and angry with myself :twisted: and desperately need all the support I can get. Please help me.........Thanx N xox

Re: Hello, I'm new here and kinda shy

Postby amouse » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:51 pm

hiya Narjoy.. .. i now exactly what you mean about the scales when they go up and down.. it is very frustarting and if it is affecting so much can you just weigh in say once a month????

after a month the scales should move in the right direction.. and there are so many things that affect the scales.. it could be your hormones are playing up or your retaining water or both.. maybe your muscle are sore and holding fluid.. amybe you havent been number 2 for a day or two.. .. that scales are not everything. they are just a tool .

another thing do you do anything more strenous then walking? i find after a good work out im very very happy.. and that i just dont get from walking..

I like you have low self esteem and low moods.. which lead me to lock myself away from the world stay home and not talk to any one.. when im low i make myself into a hermit.. lol.. its funny becuase when i had PND with my son i couldn't stand being home.. now i love it.. but i use it to hide away .. so not good.. lol.

My kids are younger then yours but i understand everything you said.. :) i started this journey at 135 kilos.. (november 2007) i loose very slowly.. and the scales have not moved since november last year lol... the went up and down a few times but bascially stayed the same

but am currently 112..
On your journey it doesn't matter how long it takes to reach your destintation . What matters is getting there!
SW 135 kilos(nov 2007)
GW 70 something lol
CW 110.5

Postby sarahm » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:00 pm

hi just read your heartfelt and honest post. i can also relate to alot of your feelings, esp. the depression and anxiety etc. i am 5'5 and weighed 105kg. in a couple of months i now weigh 95kg. but am finding the emotional struggle a hard one. hopefully thru here we can support each other. we need to not be so hard on ourselves-so difficult for us mums to 'love' ourselves when giving our all leaves us empty! thinking of you and sending a big hug- sarahm x

Postby Alexandra » Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:57 pm

Hello and welcome. Sorry to hear you're not feeling the best. As a matter of urgency you need to seek help for your depression. Obesity can often be a 'symptom' in itself (in my opinion) of serious psycological problems. If you are thinking of ending your life as you said in your post (if that is to be taken literally) you need to seek immediate assistance for your depression to stay safe. Is there a friend you can call, family member, beyond blue or lifeline? In addition, there are other resources available and it's best to start at your GP who can then recommend the best treatment such as anti-depressants / psychologist etc.

You sound like you've got a wonderful family and that's a really good reason to get healthy. I wish you every success :D

Best wishes, Alexandra

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg

Return to Introductions