It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:26 am

Free Newsletter

Help! Newbie needs help losing weight

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Help! Newbie needs help losing weight

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:54 pm

Hi - I am obviously new to this forum and any forum in fact.

I am 1.65 tall (5.5) and 68kgs (150lbs)! I need help losing this weight! I know I am still in the healthy weight range... but only JUST. :roll:

I used to compete in tkd in 2006 and was about 55kgs (121lbs) I was training about 5 x a week (1.5hour sessions) anyway... I had to stop and now train about 3 x a week (between 1-1.5hour sessions) I have put on weight - although I still excercise... I can't seem to shift this weight.

I am on break from tkd training so I have started Bikram Yoga for the time being... Can someone please help?! Give me some guidance as to what I am doing wrong? I'd like to lose about 10 - 13kgs (22 - 28lbs) HEEEELPPPPPP!!!!

Cheers,
AVP
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Re: Help! Newbie needs help losing weight

Postby soniad » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi AVP,

Before you put on weight you were obviously doing a lot of physical exercise that would have allowed you to burn off quite a few extra calories.

Now that you have slowed down your activity you’ll need to look at what you’re eating now and re-evaluate your choices. It might also be that your metabolism is starting to slow down a little, and this often happens with women about your age; therefore while in the past you may have been able to eat larger portions and/or higher fat/calorie foods, you may now need to be a little more careful.

Most people who want to lose weight already know what they should be doing; that is, they are aware of basic fat and calorie content of foods and they know that in order to lose weight they need to burn more energy than they take in. It takes a reduction of approximately 3,500 calories per week to lose half a kilo.

If you don’t know much about nutrition I suggest 5 small meals a day of non-processed healthy foods to start with, but whatever you do needs to be do-able long-term so you need to allow yourself some of the things you like to eat as well. Here is a link to a weight loss calculator to help you work out exactly how many calories you need to reduce to lose weight. This site has also got some great info on fat/calorie content of various foods:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_loss.php

If you do know all the basic stuff but find yourself picking when you’re not hungry or eating in response to emotions then you may need to do some work separately on this.

Ultimately as you get older, you do need to be aware of what you’re eating because physical exercise alone, while beneficial, must be combined with health, sensible eating if you want to maintain a healthy weight.

Good luck!

Sonia
soniad

Re: Help! Newbie needs help losing weight

Postby alisvolatpropriis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:57 pm

Thanks Sonia!!!!!

My metabolism has definitely slowed... I think I am just in denial haha thanks for the link!
SW: 70kg
CW: 69.9kg
Goal 1: 65kg
Goal 2: 60kg
Ultimate Goal: 55kg
alisvolatpropriis

Return to Introductions