It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Free Newsletter

Day one: Weight loss program

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Day one: Weight loss program

Postby griffibo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi there,

I'm halfway through day one of my weight loss program. In the past 5 years I have piled on around 20 kilos and I am not comfortable with myself anymore. Therefore I've decided to drop the lot.

In Australia we have a company called Lite 'n Easy who, for $125 per week deliver all your meals so you just eat what they give you. There's lots of fresh fruit and veg and delicious meals for dinner. No dessert that I can see though... :o

Anyway, I've tried to use my own will power etc to eat well, but I'm so greedy I eat HUGE portions. Therefore this way I will learn what a normal amount of food is and will hopefully be able to maintain my weight once I get off the program.

I hope to meet some of you along the way and encourage you and receive encouragement in return. I also need encouragement to get off my backside and do some exercise!

Here's me today:
Attachments
group.jpg
17 April 2009 - 76 kilograms
group.jpg (184.99 KiB) Viewed 587 times
griffibo

Re: Day one: Weight loss program

Postby griffibo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:48 pm

Just noticed this is an Australian site! Awesome...
griffibo

Postby Shalimar » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:08 pm

Hi griffibo and welcome to the forums :D . Best of luck in your journey.
See you around.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby griffibo » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Thanks Shalimar!

Before I joined I spent some time reading people's histories and your success is fantastic! I've only got 20 kilos to lose, but I hope I've got the wherewithal to stick to the plan and get it all off.

You must be feeling awesome being 100kilos lighter! How did you do it? Any tips for a newbie?

Cheers,
Bonnie
griffibo

Postby Shalimar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks , has been a long journey and I'm certainly not there yet but I know I will get there (I have my fingers crossed by Christmas this year I would have done it).

Tips are hard as what works for one won't work for another.
I guess mine would be allow yourself a little of what you fancy. Every night after tea I allow myself a couple of squares of dark Lindt chocolate or a chocolate of some sort to the value of 100-120 calories, I believe it stops me indulging in whole blocks at a time. Of course this only works if you can stop at your allownace.
I also carry a calorie counter book with me wherever I go and I always plan my meals ahead on the Calorie King website. http://WWW.calorieking.com.au.
My other main tip would be water, water and more water.

Shalimar

Postby griffibo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks Shalimar,

I was just saying to my husband that the problem with Lite n Easy (day two) is that they forgot to give me any chips and chocolate! LOL!

I hear what you're saying about letting yourself have a little often, to avoid having a blowout - but unless there are only one or two squares in the house I can't stop and will eat the whole lot. There have been some weeks [read: many weeks] where I've eaten several family blocks by myself. Shame! :oops: But looking at your journey, the thing that seems to scream out at me is the sheer will power you have shown. Even though I'm sure it was not easy, by day in day out sticking to your plan your story just suggests that you have got enormous self control. Do you think you had to learn that or have you always had that kind of will power?

I will have to learn more about calories evntually - I was really surprised at how many calories my usual intake has: huge man bowl of pesto and parmesan on pasta = 1 bazillion calories even if I only have coffee for breakfast (although actually I often have [no, had] chocolate for breakfast and sometimes lunch). At the moment, I'm reading the calorie and nutritional information and ingredients on my Lite n Easy meals to try and get a bit more of a normal perspective on food. It's interesting. I do feel ashamed to know I actually can't trust myself to control my own calorie intake at the moment.

Anyway, I'm blathering on...!

Best regards
Bonnie
griffibo

Postby Shalimar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:54 pm

Hi Bonnie, at least you have made a start and are determined to start doing the right thing,

Willpower is something I have always lacked until I started losing weight. If someone waved a block of chocolate or a bag of crisps in my face I would devour the lot and would not be satisfied until every last crumb had been consumed. A big reason why I hit 175 kilos no doubt :oops: .
Now my desire to be slimmer and healthier far outweighs the desire to sit and eat a big bag of chips or whatever is on offer. As mentioned I do allow myself my bit of chocolate or a small packet of chips (100 cals) at the end of the day but that's where it ends.
I still go out for the occasional meal and we do enjoy an Indian takeaway approx once every couple of months but I eat it, enjoy it and move on. I know I willbe heavier on the scales the next day but I also know that give it a week or so and it will be gone along with a decent loss.
I had a real feast on Easter Sunday, I enjoyed it, I had a temporary gain and I have now lost it all and then some, so no damage done in my opinion.

The more you get into it and the further you get into your journey the easier it becomes but then there are other issues to contend with like forever forking out for clothes that only fit for a few weeks and a brain that tells you that you still look like you did 15 months ago even though you know you don't.
It's all part of the learning process, just take it one day at a time andif you do have a 'naughty meal' or a bit of a slip up learn from it and get back to it, it is only one meal after all.

Another tip I didn't put into the other post as I forgot is a pair of kitchen scales (preferably digital) are your best friend. I couldn't live without mine :D .

Okies, I'm off to do some shopping or no one will be getting fed tonight :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby griffibo » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:05 pm

Hi Shalimar,

Well you must have learned your self control pretty quickly to have done so extremely well! Each day that you succeeded and then every week and then month that passed must have really contributed to your belief in yourself - that you could do this and do it well. Having said that - you should probably write a book because you're obviously doing so much right that it is very inspirational (and you could make some $$$ on the side!).

I've been thinking today that being full is a trigger for me to want to go and eat rubbish! That's a weird one! The fuller I am, the more I want to eat it seems (of rubbish). And this lite and easy food means I eat more volume that I'm used to (certainly not more calories, but just more actual food - 5 eating sessions a day!). So I feel full more often and am constantly stopping myself from habitually getting up and getting some chocolate. I've got a small easter egg still in the fridge (I ate the other 19 the day before I started the diet :oops: ) and I'm scared to eat the last one in case I then just ruin the diet forever! I hear what you say - tomorrow would be another day if I slipped up, but I'm too scared to at the moment. Perhaps fear is a form of self control? Going cold turkey is like a line in the sand. I'm not good when the lines are blurry. Then again, maybe this is all in my imagination because that doesn't explain why I was hoovering down heaps of rubbish a week ago when I wasn't on a diet and wasn't full. Maybe I'm just addictedd to sugar and fat. That's more likely.

It's quite a nervy experience this whole thing and it's only day 2!

You must have gone through so many different clothes sizes!!! It must be expensive, but at the same time do you get some enjoyment out of it? How about shoes? You could get some nice boots for winter! How's your body shape? Are you able to just buy stuff off the shelf and have it fit? I"m size 14-16 and I struggle to find things that fit - but that's cos I've got really wide 'man' shoulders and big boobs. I can't wait to go down a dress size because my boobs should shrink and that will help me to fit into things.

Thanks for chatting with me- it's nice to talk to you. Hope you had fun at the shops :-)

Cheers,
Bonnie
griffibo

Postby Shalimar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:52 pm

I did learn it quick, I had to if I wanted to succeed, I just had it in my head that failing this time wasn't an option, there was no other way.
Being full and wanting more is a weird one, musually when I'm full I'm done in and that is it for me.
I was like you at first in that I wouldn't eat any 'bad' foods a first,maybe for the first 3 or 4 months, until there was a noticable difference in my body and until I was 100% sure that one splurge wouldn't lead to another.
I missed out on a few family dinners this way because I wasn't sure how I would deal with things afterwards.

Sizewise I have gone from a 26 plus to a 16, some tops I have are a 14 and I even bought a size 12 winter jacket a couple of weeks back, it fits and even buttons up but by the time it gets cold enough to wear it, it will look even better. That said there is no way I would fit a size 12 pair of pants :lol: .

Bodyshape wise I have a pair shaped figure these days and I really don't mind it at all, it's far nicer than my previous apple shape :lol: . I have a pretty small top half and a not so small butt, belly and thighs but I can live with that. I have pics in my piccie thread, Shalimars pics or similar in the photo sectiion, it was last updated a month or so ago. It starts off with a photo of me 4 or 5 months into it and then goes down from there but there is a much older one of me in the middle somewhere that my son recently found so I stuck it in there. My boobs have shrunk heaps going from a dd cup to a c cup, whether they shrink anymore is anyones guess, time will tell I suppose.

Ok, that's enough from me for now, it's king of hard typing on a netbook while lying in bed :P .

Shalimar

Postby griffibo » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:50 am

Hi Shalimar,

Size 12 Jacket? Wow - I didn't fit into that even before I got fat! I'm an apple shape and I think I'll always be one. Even with the weight off I'm just straight up and down. With the weight I'm skinny legs and bum, big fat gut, back, and boobs, and fat upper arms, skinny forearms. Atractive! :roll: Also, bring back the C cup!! Yay! Well done. I can never find the right size in the shops - 16E (should be 16F but I have a psychological barrier :lol: and won't buy one). Anyway, hardly anyone makes it and they're usually all gone anyway.

Day three and I've got a headache and feel a bit lousy. I wonder if it's a sugar withdrawal or something. I really must normally have been eating about 3000 calories per day - I just been looking up cadbury chocolate and it's 520 calories per 100 grams! I'd eat about 200g of chocolate a day plus loads of pasta. Not much else mind you - except maybe biscuits, cheese, and coke :oops: . I'm thinking that's where this headache is coming from. This diet is only 1200 for the whole day; I used to eat that in chocolate alone!

I went to a farewell party for mum today - she's going overseas for a few months. Everyone was really nice and my sister made carrot and celery crudites with salsa dip for me - hardly any calories in that! How thoughtful! I took my Lite n Easy lunch too so I could eat that while they all had their cakes and stuff. Didn't slip up at all (still to scared to!)

Anyway, my tap tap tap is keeping my hubby awake and he's whining in his (half)sleep. Best turn the lights out and go to bed. :roll:

Hope you had a great day! :D

Bonnie
griffibo

Postby Shalimar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:47 am

It sure is a great feeling when everything shrinks :lol: .

I hope the headache is soon gone. If you find you have to have some chocolate go for a couple of squares if Lindt dark, I have some every night. It's all you need :wink: . I was on special yesterday in the local shops so I bought 3 blocks :lol: .

Shalimar

Postby Red » Sat May 09, 2009 4:12 pm

Hello!. I am Red. I am new to this forum although I have no problem regarding my weight or anything,I joined this to learn things that could probably help me stay fit. and also I want to mingle around and find new friends. :D
Red

Return to Introductions